Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » I want to dance, don't you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want to dance, don't you?
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I love to dance. I dance all the time at home: silly, fun, over the top and totally dorky dancing. But I cannot do it in public. There are times when I desperately want to, but I just can't get myself up and do it.

This started happening about four years ago. Before that I never had an issue dancing in public (well at least when other people were dancing). Thing is, I'm not that shy, and I'm not that embarrassed... I think the problem is that I won't allow myself to have fun...in public. And I don't know why I won't let myself...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't allow myself to do stuff I love, so I just wanted to know if anyone else out there has this problem.

What don't you let yourself do? And more importantly, why?

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hug certain people tight, beam when they come in the room, show affection generally. This is because I am lonely and get strongly attached to people who, because I never open my mouth, don't really know me from Adam and would thus be amused/baffled/creeped out/pitying if I showed how much I like them and want to be around them.
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't read trashy books. I only let myself read like, psychology books (albiet interesting) and classics. My plan this summer is to read something really horrible. Excuse me, Twilight's calling...
Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read Twilight. I really don't believe in good or bad books - I figure if millions of people like it and I can't see anything good in it, I must be a pretty crappy literature student - but I do think there are good or bad readings.

For example, it bugs me that some people read Edward and Bella's relationship as an ideal, terrifically romantic thing, when what I see is a very controlling, abusive dynamic. It's interesting that Twilight portrays vampire/human relationships and culture as so "normal", because that maybe shows that there's something very inhumane about our sense of normality.

I'm off topic. [Smile] I rarely let myself sing in public, and if I do it's singing along to something that's already playing. But I sing by myself all the time in private. I guess that's because in private I really enjoy stretching the upper register of my voice - I hit a high F today which I'm psyched about. More androgynous singing for moi!

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.