Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Tampons hurt me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tampons hurt me
RedHeart
Neophyte
Member # 50181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm 18 and a virgin.

Ever since I've started my period I have used pads because tampons always caused me pain. At first I thought I was just putting it in wrong, However after some rather embarrassing help from my mother. I've discovered that tampons just cause me pain. period

Is this normal? I've never heard of other girls complain of this

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you be a little bit more specific about the pain they cause? Where is it? Does it only happen with insertion or does it start once they're fully in, or both?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedHeart
Neophyte
Member # 50181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It starts with insertion

However the pain reaches it's peak when it's fully in

[ 11-24-2010, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: RedHeart ]

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so there are a few things you can try.

First off, are you familiar with the contours of your vaginal canal? It doesn't go straight up towards your head, but angles back a bit, so if you've got the wrong angle, that may be why it's painful. Explore a bit with your fingers if you've never done so, and figure out that way exactly where a tampon is supposed to go. You might also want to try using tampons without any sort of applicators, as that tends to make it a bit easier to get them into a specific position.

Use a drop or a few drops of water-based lube (something like Astroglide or KY Liquid) on the tip of the tampon, which will help it slide in more easily.

Make sure you're as relaxed as possible - if you're nervous or anticipating pain, the muscles around your vagina will tense up, making insertion of anything more difficult and painful. Take a few deep breaths before you start, and go slowly.

Too, if you just can't get them to work, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with not using tampons, it's about what you feel most comfortable with.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedHeart
Neophyte
Member # 50181

I have tried angling it but I have not tried the lube.

I do not want to buy lube because I live in a very small conservative christian town and someone will probably see me buying it and spread rumors about me. I'll just stick to pads if that is the case

[ 11-24-2010, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: RedHeart ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

People buy lube for all sorts of reasons, but if you don't feel comfortable doing so, that's totally fine. If you do want to keep trying though, making sure you're relaxed and using tampons without applicators can help too.

Also, have you started your annual gyn checkups yet? This is exactly the kind of thing you can ask a gyn about, and if you haven't started going, now is as good a time as any - the recommendation is that you should start seeing a gyn within a few years of starting your period.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.