Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » menstrual cup not working out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: menstrual cup not working out
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my third cycle with the Diva cup. I've gotten it to open and form a seal inside me just fine, but I *still* flow right around it. Oh, sure, it catches a good bit of blood, but it's like even my vaginal walls bleed on my periods. I'm pretty tempted to give up, but then I hear so many women swearing by it, and then I think something's wrong with me because I'm not having success. What's the point if I need backup every time? And actually, this is true for tampons too. It never fails, I need a pad or liner, otherwise I'll flow around the tampon even though it absorbs the flow. (I did downsize, per your advice. I still flowed right around it.) Am I the only one who can't get the Diva cup to work? Am I just doomed to need pads?

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's forming a seal? When you put it in, are you making sure not just to let it open up, but also twisting it around while gently pulling down? The seal doesn't automatically form all the time, so if you aren't doing that, maybe give it a try.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EliotDorian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, I've had to *break* the seal to take it out, every time, so I'm assuming I formed the seal. I do pull down and everything.

--------------------
"What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if no one asks to see 'em?"

Posts: 87 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm....the only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's sitting too far up in your vagina. Sorry not to be of more help - maybe one of the other volunteers or users will have something more helpful to contribute! (I had a similar problem myself, but weirdly, switching to the larger size was what helped, even though I'm only 25 and have never given birth.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

For now, I do intend to keep using it, and if I need to catch a quarter of my flow with pads, so be it. I'm really tempted to give up on using the Diva cup after the 12th cycle though. The only thing stopping me is a tremendous sense of guilt. I feel like a heretic entertaining the thought of giving up on the Diva cup.

--------------------

EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

Actually, that's what I want to talk about. I feel this sense of *guilt* because I'm thinking of giving up on the Diva cup.

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Can you elaborate on that a bit? What is it that you feel guilty about?

For what it's worth, I don't see any reason to feel guilty, any more than someone giving up on tampons or sponges because those things aren't working for them should feel guilty. It's your body, and you get to do what feels comfortable and works for you.

--------------------

EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

I've only heard people sing the praises of the Diva cup. The only thing less than glowing I've read is here (http://www.blogher.com/were-short-girl-we-have-cup) but I hate that blog post a lot and don't want that writer on my team.
It's just, I feel really inadequate because I can't make the Diva cup perform its full function, namely, replace pads entirely. I didn't successfully make tampons do that and now I haven't successfully made a Diva cup do that. It makes me wonder what's wrong with my vagina that I flow right around things that I put inside it. Also, cups are the most environmentally sound, and I want to be environmentally sound. But I'm wanting to go back to the wasteful option.
Does any of that make sense?

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI?

I believe washable pads are just as environmentally sound as cups are, and personally, I often live in Lunapanties. I have two cups, and they're fine for me, but I find the washables even less hassle.

Out of curiosity, have you started GYN exams yet? I ask because I certainly can think of some women for whom cups would not work, as there are some uncommon cervical/uterine variations that just really wouldn't work with them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say your flow is going around the cup, is that something you feel happening or are you just noticing some blood on your panties/pad? I wonder if it's actually going around the cup or if what you are seeing is just what's leftover in the lower part of your vaginal canal after you've removed the cup previously. When I was younger, I used to be able to feel my flow go out around a tampon. When I first started using a cup, I still had to backup with a pad because some of the leftover flow would hang around and come out slowly even after I put the empty cup back in. I don't think I ever used my cup without a cloth liner as a backup.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EliotDorian
Activist
Member # 37752

When my mom was growing up in India, she used pieces of cloth.
I started GYN exams when I was 19 - four years ago. I do have an unusual enough cervix that the gynaec thought to remark on it (it's really high). I also started using the Diva Cup *right* after my last physical (which included a GYN). So I won't be seeing a gynaec for another nine months at least! If I did have that kind of cervical variation, would I still be able to birth a baby naturally?
I'm not sure if I actually flow around things, but if I wipe myself with a tampon or cup in me, I see menstrual fluid on the TP. And on my backup pad, the amount of menstrual fluid grows slowly as time goes by, although a lot more slowly than it would if I didn't have a cup or tampon in. Maybe you're right, KittenGoddess, it could be leftover flow.
Thanks KittenGoddess and Karybu and Heather, for all the help. I'm definitely considering washable pads, they seem like they could work very well for me!

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How that would impact childbirth is SO not something I could call. I'm both not qualified to, nor is that something anyone could likely figure in advance, or at least without seeing you in person.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.