Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sex and body issues don't mix well.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex and body issues don't mix well.
keepinitgreen
Neophyte
Member # 45365

Icon 11 posted      Profile for keepinitgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sex recently, and I've posted a few other topics about it. But a big problem I'm still having with it is my body issues. I feel like a best friend doesn't understand the problems I have with the situation because she's thin and athletic. I know she still has body issues, but she doesn't understand I'm scared of the guy I had sex with feeling really embarrassed about having sex with me because I'm bigger. I'm really embarrassed about my belly that kind of hangs over (if that makes sense). I'm really embarrassed someone knows how I look naked. I know I shouldn't feel that way. But I just wish so badly that I could just know what he thought about my body so I could stop worrying.

I guess I don't really have a question, but I need advice or someone to relate or...I just need opinions on the situation I guess.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This month, keepingitgreen, we're doing something we're calling Fat-Free February, meaning that we're asking users to take a month off from talking about feeling fat, wanting to lose weight, etc.

So, can we frame this a bit differently?

Maybe by talking about the fact that being a given size or shape actually doesn't mean a given person will automatically be more or less comfortable with their body? For instance, I have a couple friends who weigh over 300 pounds who have much more positive body image than some of my friends who weigh 120. And thin women also have body image issues, too. In other words, it may be that the reason your friend doesn't understand isn't because she's shaped differently than you, but because she has a positive body image while you don't yet.

Can I ask what you do for yourself to help nurture a positive body image? When do you feel really great in your own skin -- not just per looks, but just per how you FEEL?

Can you also accept that people have all different kinds of preferences when it comes to who they find beautiful? If this guy wanted to be with you, I think it's safe to assume he found you attractive. Sometimes you may find you are projecting your own biases unto others, if you get me.

[ 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68230 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.