Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » my student body

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my student body
kamille
Activist
Member # 42270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a university student who has gained 10-13 pounds since September of last year. I just can't seem to get motivated to exercise because homework takes up almost all of my day.

I used to do martial arts twice a week for an hour and half. I weighed 125-130 pounds - it fluctuated. Anyways, it's a big commitment because it's a club, and because I'm a high belt I would have to instruct the class often. I'm looking for someone else who is a student who can share their experiences....What can I do? Please help me? I'm 5"5, and I just weighed myself - 142 pounds with clothes on (sweats and t-shirt).

I eat a large healthy breakfast every day, usually eggs and a bowl of yogurt. This is at around 9-10. I don't often eat anything until 1 or 4 depending on the day. I get home and I eat a good dinner. I eat chocolate almost everyday, but in moderation. I also eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I have a salad with my dinner, and after dinner for desert I eat an apple and grapefruit.

Someone...anyone...out there who can help me get back on track just as the school year is ending...

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyntermidnite
Activist
Member # 24641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyntermidnite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's lots of ways to help yourself lose those 'freshman 15'. It's easier to schedule food and exercise into your day, every day. Here are some tips that have really helped me and people I know:

-Make sure you're eating something every 4 hours at least, even if it's a baggie of baby carrots, a fiber bar, mini wheats, and apple etc. while walking from one class to another. You need to give yourself food to keep your metabolism running all day and keep your blood sugar stable (which helps with concentration, making your study time more efficient.)
-Study and exercise at the same time when possible. If you have access to a gym you can do class reading on stationary bikes. You can also tape record lectures or study aids you tape yourself, like record yourself reading a chapter summary or vocab words/definitions and listen to them while doing other exercises (or other things, driving, waiting in line, etc. it's a great time saver to get more studying done while doing easy things, leaving you more free time to work out.) A handheld digital recorder is one of the most helpful things I have ever bought to help multitask studying.
-Eat more proteins (in calorie light portions). When eaten in addition to snacks, even a little bit, it keeps you fuller longer (protein is digested slower). Things like celery and a tbsp of peanut butter, mini wheats and a string cheese, apple and an ounce of almonds.
-Portion your food. Measure all your food, eat only the suggested portion in one sitting of high calorie foods. If that seems small then add fruits, veggies or whole grains to fill up your plate and tummy.

Doing these things together (portion your high calorie foods, add low cal foods to those meals and as snacks (w/protein), multi task studying and working out) and you're sure to up your time you can spend working out and lower the amount of calories you take in.

Posts: 70 | From: Fullerton, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashlee Abjad
Neophyte
Member # 42383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashlee Abjad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, explain your situation to the people who run the martial arts club and see if you could attend sessions without having to teach. If they won't allow it, look for a different martial arts organization in your area.

Personally, I find it really helps that I ride my bike as my main form of transportation. Since the school year is ending, see if you can get into any fun athletic activity over break, such as hiking or a team sport. Also, I've heard that eating healthy food gets easier after freshman year, once you've gotten used to being able to choose food for yourself. Good luck!

[ 03-18-2009, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Ashlee Abjad ]

Posts: 6 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you feeling, fitness wise? Is the extra weight causing you any difficulties with your normal day-to-day activities?

Given that most university students start around age 17-18, it's likely some of the added weight is just natural growth as well. Between first and third year university, I gained about 15 pounds, but my health and fitness overall remained the same. It's worth possibly seeing someone at the campus health clinic to see if they have any suggestions.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamille
Activist
Member # 42270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys thanks for all your help.

Fitness wise? There is definitely a difference in my body, although it’s slight. It's coming to the point where I can feel it. I haven't exercised in, well probably a year or more!!!!! I know, that's alarming!!!! But I've just been SO incredibly busy. I know that's not an excuse, but where I live there aren't many gyms and it's sometimes a hassle. Plus, I don't know how people motivate themselves to go on a run...haha.

Sigh, I just don’t know what to do. I guess what I have to do...is, well just do it.

I didn’t know there was a term for student gaining either,haha!

[ 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: kamille ]

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.