Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » body

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: body
kamille
Activist
Member # 42270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamille         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I'm a student at university who is having troubles sorting out a schedule that incorporates study, boyfriend, friends, food, and exercise.

I haven't been able to exercise for a year so this is going to be new for me (to start again). I feel like I've gained weight, even though it doesn't show on every part of my body. I really, really need help. I feel like the stress is getting to me. I don't know what to do.

Also, I don't really have time to eat lunch. What are some nice snacks I can bring to school to munch on?

I can't sleep either...it's one...but I'm going now so I hope this isn't too disjointed...I just am feeling...not myself. My mom asked me if I had weighed myself lately. Not in a mean way, but It really made me realize that I have to take initiative. What should I do? I'm so tired, .................................

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kamille,
You mentioned that you can't sleep, is that because you're too busy, or because you're experiencing some type of insomnia?

If you're experiencing some type of insomnia, there could be a couple things going on, but lack of exercise could certainly be a factor. I'd really encourage you to check in with a doctor about it.

In terms of being really busy, I hear you. I typically an doing academic work for around 12 hours a day, every day, if not more. Once every two weeks, I do my best to give myself a partial day off when I can sleep in.

BUT, one other thing I do is every night before I go to bed, I make a list of what I need to do the next day and plan out how it will get done. Sometimes that can really help, and it can help plan out when things like going to a gym will fit into your day. You can also try out different schedules. It took me a while to figure out that the best time for me to go to the gym is 6:45am, but I've been sticking to that for weeks now. Generally, you want your plan to be both efficient and something you can stick to. It may sound silly to "plan" what time you're going to spend with people, but it can be really helpful while you work to get your schedule under control.

In terms of eating lunch, first of all, if you're skipping lunch sometimes, you should definitely be eating a nice, big, healthy breakfast. Then, if you have to eat lunch on the run, I'd really encourage packing a small sandwich and some fruit. One of my favorites when the weather's cold is instant oatmeal (which only works if you can get hot water from somewhere, but that might be a possibility).

Right now, because you sound like you're pretty overwhelmed, I would encourage you to go out and get some exercise and some sleep NOW, hang out with friends, and then catch up on work later. Often first we need to address what our body needs before we can work on other things.

I hope some of that helps.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamille
Activist
Member # 42270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamille         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I believe that I've been experiencing some sort of insomnia, probably due to stress. I bought some Valerian root capsules but it doesn't really work. My body just relaxes, but my mind keeps racing. I toss and turn and can't get to sleep.

Although, it's not always about stress. Sometimes, I just flat out can't sleep even when I'm listening to the rain or silence.

I asked my doc what I should do and he said stationary bike and swimming...I don't know if that will help me lose weight though. I really would like to shave 10 pounds off. (5"5 1... something)

Thank you, I'll try the list thing. I think it might work.

I do eat a big breakfast. They have those instant noodle things at school for 99 cents...what do you think?

I went out on a walk today, but I didn't have the mind set on exercising because I've got about 12 + hours of homework which I will not be able to even do tonight...

You did help me somewhat, so thank you for that. I'm still dumbfounded at what I have done to make myself so stuck in a rut.

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oatmeal is a lot healthier than instant noodles, and you could get and bring your own packets.

One thing that I've done is actually see the nutritionist at my school. Do you think you could see one? It was a big help to me (I've got a history of bad anemia and have had trouble keeping weight on).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.