Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Can't Sleep - Insomnia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't Sleep - Insomnia?
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently in an open relationship with an absolutely amazing guy. Most nights of the week, he stays with me, but sometimes he goes out and doesn't come over. I'm fine with sharing him with other girls (we're safe, he gets tested, and he doesn't sleep with total strangers) but I have one major problem.
When he's not sleeping with me (in the "laying next to each other, asleep" sense) I can't sleep. I lie in bed for hours, awake. I've tried warm milk, soothing music, relaxing teas, staying up later than usual, getting up and reading/watching tv/just sitting, wearing myself out during the day, I even bought some natural herbal sleep aid (Valerian Root). No matter what I do, on nights when he's not here I get about 2 hours of sleep, max.
He doesn't want monogamy, and I'm not going to ask him for something that he doesn't want to give, especially when I don't actually mind the "having sex with other girls" part. I just want to sleep. If anybody could give me some suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

[ 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Alatariel ]

Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alatariel. What was your sleep like before you started dating him? How long have you been having this insomnia? Do you remember anything significant about that time when you began having insomnia?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had some issues with insomnia before, way back in fifth grade, and when I'm particularly anxious about things like new schools or major tests the next day. The not being able to sleep when he's not here started in about November, about 2 months after we started seeing each other. As for anything significant around this time... He stopped having a cell phone, so he couldn't text me about whether or not he was coming over, but he has a cell again now, so I don't think that's the problem.
Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about health issues? Did you have any health problems that cropped up around that same time? Also, when this insomnia started, was it a part of a pattern you made? That is, did you start staying up for him to see if he'd come over and throw your sleep schedule out of whack?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

I've actually been having some health problems, since last January. I'm seeing a doctor and am having all sorts of tests run, with no ideas as to the cause as of yet. The insomnia started long after the health problems, however, and without any changes in sleep schedule (save the changes caused by the insomnia). It only happens on nights when he's not here.
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Does anybody have any suggestions on getting to sleep? I still haven't gotten any of those...
perfectviolet
Neophyte
Member # 40169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perfectviolet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you tried sleeping with an eye mask on, one that you can fill with water? or a gel one?

[ 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: perfectviolet ]

Posts: 30 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

I have not. That will help me fall asleep?
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey! I have a lot of problems with insomnia as well. Two suggestions:

1) try some yoga or other breathing exercises right before bed

2) pick up some melatonin from your local drug store. 3mg should help you get to sleep

It might just be a comfort thing having someone else in the bed with you that might make you be more relaxed on those nights...

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Thanks so much for the tips! It's definitely having someone with me that helps me fall asleep.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.