Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » TSS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TSS
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently been diagnosed with TSS (toxic shock syndrome), but I'm still in my early stages, so *luckily* the doctors can treat it.It's usually related to petrol fumes and tampon use.
I've never known anyone whos had this except for me. So, if any of you know anyone who had it, or you've had it yourself, please gimme some support. I'm feeling kinda, well, sick now. *sniff*
Luv,
Marianna

------------------
Depressed? Try some chocolate...12-16 times daily...

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Purple Lemonade,
Hun, you can get through this and you will get through this. I have not had TSS but i know you do need support and we are here to support you. That's good that the doctors found it in the early stages. But i know after everything is over you will be fine and dandy . When you come out of this think of it that you acomplished another one of life's challenges. Good luck to you, and don't forgert that we are here to support you

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Purple! Im sorry about what happened to you. I hope you get better real soon.

That is one of the reasons why i never wore tampons, I was always afraid to get TSS.

Huggins!! Feel betters girlie!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSS - my biggest fear. That's why I change my tampons obsessively.

Feel better, sweetie! We're always here to help whenever you need us. Try the handy dandy *support forum* as well

Take care.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSS is a strain of the bacterium Staphylococcus Aureus (Staph).

It can be developed from the use of high-absorbency tampons (again, gals, PLEASE, for your health, switch to organic cotton tampons at a low absorbency or menstrual sponges), from infected wounds, skin abscesses or vaginal infections in which staph develops. I have never heard any mention of petrol fumes as related to TSS.

Make sure, Purple, you follow your doctors orders, and take your medication. Also make sure NOT to use high-absorbency tampons anymore.

OBGYN.net has aa forum for TSS here: http://forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9802/0867.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. I have TSS.
It runs in families, generally, and because my mom had it and her mom had it, I ended up with it. I don't wear tampons--never have and never will considering the horror stories I've heard and been told by my mom when she tried wearing them. It's really not that much of an inconvenience to not wear them, but then again I wouldn't really know what it's like to wear them. So, I don't really know what to tell you except hang in there and feel better, and I think it's okay for you to use tampons as long as it's not for too long, but it's recommended to just steer clear of them completely. It sucks, but it's life:P

------------------
Do you want me girl to be your theif? Oh baby, just for you, I'll steal anything that you want me to.

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.