Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Chemical or medicine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chemical or medicine?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever heard of gamma hydroxybutyric acid or know if it's in your system would it really be a trigger for a seizure? (Or for that matter what it would be in that it could get into your system in the first place?)

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3417 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to google this, but GHB can be used as a date rape drug, and it's also something that occurs naturally in almost all living creatures.

Here's the Wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid (obviously, wikipedia isn't always reliable, but this article seems to cite all its sources)

[ 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well ... that kind of explains why the doctors acted so funny. I was just confused about some of the tests that they did... they never ran those tests when I had a seizure before. Also explains all the other people asking me questions. I guess I'll know what they know when they call back. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3417 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

I got a call back from the doctor’s today and they set an appointment for blood tests, EEG, and CT scan tomorrow afternoon. They’re really frustrating because they won’t tell me much at all over the phone; they said the details of the tests would “better be explained person to person.”

The doctor asked me if I’d ever taken drugs before – which I haven’t. When I told him that, he found about six different ways to ask me about drugs and whether or not I’m sure I’d never taken drugs. After answering the questions (more than once) he told me there was significant amounts of gamma hydroxybutric acid and ecstasy in my blood and that if I truly didn’t take them myself then they were intentionally put into my system. I don’t remember much about the hospital – though my friend went in the ambulance with me and said they ran a lot of tests and that I was really out of it and even slept through some of them. She’s told me some of the tests that they told her they were doing – but the only test results they’ve said anything about to either of us are the blood tests. I guess they’re not really allowed to tell her much because she’s not family, but shouldn’t they have talked with me about what was going on? It all seems really odd to me.

--------------------

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hon, I've never had GHB in my system, but I have had seizures from ecstasy (and speed) (plus, I have epilepsy). I've had all those tests, and hooo boy, the worst thing about the EEG is that it's boring as heck, especially if you're doing both awake and asleep in the test.

It is odd that they weren't talking to you about it, in detail. You're over 18, right? Do you know who could have drugged you? Get all the answers you can tomorrow, and good luck. And if you need to talk about it - I'm here.

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.