Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Contact Lenses...Help?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contact Lenses...Help?!
wanderlustful
Neophyte
Member # 30582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlustful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi...
I am going to be getting contacts on Friday. My only question is that I can only put in RPG contacts, they are the small and "hard" ones...The soft ones are too large for me to deal with, and I flinch more.

I did a lot of research on the safety and logic of Rgp (rigid gas permeable) lenses for teens and first time contact users. They seem wonderful.

Except...I have never been to an appointment about contacts...if I go and ask for the RPG ones is it that simple, or do they have to make that decision?
I saw nothing that would make them prefer Rgp lenses over soft ones, and in my case its Rgp or bust because the soft ones simply won't work?

So...do I have anything to worry about?

Posts: 12 | From: california | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bakingprincess
Neophyte
Member # 32285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bakingprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not positive what the doctors would say, but I don't think it would be a problem. My mom always chooses RGP's over soft and has never had a problem. She says that RGP's make things much 'crisper' in vision, more defined and sharpened. The only downside that I find is that it requires multiple fittings to get things just right.

I've always had soft lenses, almost switched to RGP's because my doc thought I had a cornea disease, but I didnt, so I stuck with soft. I have horrible vision, but soft work okay for me. A little blurry at times, but nothing too bad. I'll probably switch to RGP's at one point or another.

Anyway! Good luck!

Posts: 30 | From: KY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wanderlustful, I've worn both RPG and soft contacts for the past ten years. I have bad astigmatism in one eye and am very nearsighted in the other-- I've been wearing glasses since I was 3, for 20 years now! I was so glad to get contacts when I was 13; it wasn't "just" aesthetic, as I prefer them in the summer and for sports.

If I remember correctly, I first had yearlong soft contacts (which ripped/got dry). Then I wore RPG contacts for a number of years, but ALWAYS had problems with them-- my eyes were always watering up and feeling scratched. I've also heard a lot of good things about them (my mom swears by them) but they just didn't work for me. Lately I've worn month-long soft contacts, which have been best of all. I've started to also wear my glasses more often again. Honestly, my contacts have rarely felt "super" in my 10 years of wearing them, although I'm glad to have them as an option.

Often times they'll recommend a certain type based on your vision. (Or a particular brand that's good... or more expensive. [Wink] ) Price and insurance coverage will probably also play a role. You can talk about your likes and dislikes with them, as well as what you've heart and how you feel. They almost always have a trial pair or trial period with all contacts-- be sure to follow up and go back in if they are ANY problems.

Additionally, don't stress out too much about putting them in-- it can be hard at first for a lot of people, but is easier when you're relaxed. And if you go and think, "wait-- do I really want this?" then you can always stick to your glasses. Whatever you do, make sure to take care of them as they tell you, wearing them for no more than x hours at day (whatever they tell you, and never sleep in them!) It sounds like you're very consciencious but I wanted to say it nonetheless.

Good luck-- tell us how it goes! [Smile]

[ 01-24-2007, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninster8
Neophyte
Member # 32413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninster8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wear contacts and have almost my whole life. although i have never worn the hard ones, i wouldn't stress about putting them in. when you go to your eye dr. to ask about getting them, they will show you how to clean them and put them in. my dr. wouldn't let me go home with them until he was sure i felt ok about putting them in. also, the floppy contacts are harder to put in because they bend and fold, so just be confident!

--------------------
www.popteenus.com

Posts: 10 | From: vermont | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.