Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » veggie breakfast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: veggie breakfast
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, i became a vegetarian again about a month ago. i decided not to eat eggs or milk either because of factory farming. and i love soymilk, so the milk thing is easy. its just the no egg rule thats been really hard. i don't know what to eat for breakfast anymore, but i need to eat breakfast to keep my energy up all day. i wish i could spend a lot of time making a nice big meal, but i dont have the time in the morning. i've been eatting bagels and sugar cereal with soy milk lately, when i do eat at all. thats not great though, because its all sugar and carbs. i don't cereal if there isn't sugar, it bores me and i just can't eat it. does anyone have any suggestions on quick vegetarian breakfasts that aren't completely bland ? i would eat eggs if i knew the farm and that they treat the chickens right. how would i find that out?

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you done any research into cage free eggs? They're actually fairly widely available in grocery stores now, and if you find the brand, doing some research on the internet should tell you more about them and if they treat their animals humanely.

Also, similar to alternates to dairy products, there are egg-substitutes that you could probably try.

Have you thought of trying something like oatmeal or toasted museli (it's sort of like granola, but much better)? You can cut up fruit into more plain cereals as well (such as a bran cereal, or toasted wheat, or cheerios) and that adds sweetness and flavor without all the empty calories. Another thing I love is yogurt-covered rasins in cereal, since that adds sweetness and fiber!

I'd also recomend looking into a good mulit-vitamin to take each day.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for your suggestions! the fruit idea sounds really good.

i have done some research on cage-free eggs, but according to the FDA "cage free" can be at least 5 minutes out of a cage each day. i don't feel like thats ok. the chickens should be loved and treated with respect. while thats not very practicle on a large scale, thats just how i feel about it.

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about looking specifically for "free range" eggs? That means hens actually have to have access to the outdoors.

USDA organic requirements also seem to stipulate that hens have to have access to the outdoors.

It's not a guarantee, but organic farmers often have much higher animal welfare standards anyway.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, in the US, free range eggs are still not great. The hens have to be allowed outside, but there are no rules about how much outside area they must be given. So a farmer could have a huge shed full of hens with a door that opens to a little tiny yard, and that would still be "free range". (In the UK, it's a bit better, because there are rules that there must be a certain amount of outside area per hen.)

I feel much the same way about eggs as you do, joyfulgirl (and I don't eat dairy or meat either), and I find that it is so much easier to avoid them altogether than to seek out eggs that I would be comfortable eating. Here are some things that I eat for breakfast sometimes:

whole grain bread or pita bread or tortillas with hummus
vegetarian sausages (some of these contain eggs or dairy, so you have to read the ingredients)
soy yogurt with fruit
home-made granola (experiment with different recipes - I make mine with molasses, so even though it's sweet, it's at least got all the vitamins and minerals that you don't get with refined sugar)
baked beans with whole wheat toast (a British breakfast custom that I love)

Also, there's no rule that says you have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. If you'd rather eat leftover pasta (or whatever) from dinner the night before, then why not?

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For breakfast, I have oatmeal to which I add flax seeds. Flax seeds just add more proteins to my breakfast. I also drink soy milk. You can also have cereals that are more healthy for example muslix or cheerios. Yeah, they contains sugar but also a lot of other essential nutrients. It's really rare to find something that contains no sugar in it.

Also, we can eat a toast with peanut butter. It's up to you. Some people even eat vegan sausages fro breakfast. But, me myself, I just find that it is too much for breakfast. I actually am not really that hungry at breakfast. So just try different things. At first, it is hard but eventually you will find something you like.

As for the egg thing, you can just go on the website on the company, sometimes they have information about how they proceed.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it depends where you live, I'm a vegetarian but I eat eggs that I get from a woman who has free range chickens.
My dad gets duck eggs and chicken eggs (both animals are free range) from this woman.
So maybe you should look around, or put an ad up saying you want to buy free-range eggs.
I dunno, just a suggestion.

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.