Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Colds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colds
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a cold coming on.
The weird headache feeling / sneezing an feeling sick (why i always feel sick before a cold i have no clue)

Anyone have any ideas on how to shift a cold put my system. Im drinking plenty of fluids but my throat doesnt hurt.
I though being on Flucloxacillin (a form on penicillin) would fight a cold infection am i wrong?

Whats the best thing to do?

--------------------
Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antibiotics aren't preventatives.

What can help?

- Get loads of rest. Take it easy: go to bed early.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Get a bunch of Vitamin C into your system. Echinacea is also a big immune system booster: if you can hit a pharmacy, and in the UK you have these fizzy tablets called "Airborne," (http://www.airbornehealth.com/main.html) those have both in them are are really helpful as a preventative.
- Eat right: fresh fruits and veggies, lean protien, nix on any processed foods.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, antibiotics not only won't prevent colds, they won't even treat them.

Antibiotics can only treat bacterial infections, whereas the common cold is caused by a family of viruses.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah thankyou i wasnt aware that the medication she gave me wouldnt help me fight a cold, i looked it up on the net an it said it helps.
I take "Bassests soft an chewy mulivitamins" not sure if you've heard of those.. would they help?

I seem to be sleeping the clock round lately due to my skin infection so sleep shouldnt be a problem.

Thankyou for the name of that tablet i wasnt even aware they existed.

--------------------

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what i found:

What is it used for?

-Bone and joint infections
-Infections of the organs associated with breathing including nose, windpipe and lungs (respiratory tract)
- Upper Respiratory infections
-Inflammation of the lining of the heart cavity and heart valves due to infection with the bacterium staphylococcus (endocarditis)
-Skin or wound infections

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but antibiotics only work on infections AFTER the fact, not as preventatives.

And yes: a multivitamin absolutely helps boost the immune system.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

sorry i can be daft sometimes
Ill just keep the vitamins / lemsips / fluids / sleep flowing. Hopefulyl i can shift the cold before it hits me.
Thankyou again for your help

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.