Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » 20 minutes for your health

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 20 minutes for your health
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What active endeavor do you always do for twenty minutes a day?

Why do I ask this?

Because having an active activity for a minimum of twenty minutes a day is incredibly important to your health and well-being. Our world has become so sedentary, that there ARE plenty of people who aren't active for even that much in a day, which is pretty amazing, when you consider that not even a hundred years ago, and in a lot of culture still, being active ALL day is a given.

So, if you're one of those folks, make a plan. Just getting that 20 minutes -- and hopefully far more! -- can make a huge difference in your health (your circulation, metabolism, immune system, etc.), your body image (far better than the usual approach of dieting or obsessing), your mood and your sex life. Healthy bodies are capable of more pleasure than unhealthy bodies (emotionally and physically); healthy bodies are more resistant to STIs and other reproductive maladies.

If you are NOT one of those folks, help them out with ideas! What are YOUR twenty minutes?

For myself, it's always a brisk walk with my dog or a bike ride. In the winter -- which gets harsh in Minnsota -- if I can't do those, I do some shadowboxing in my living room, some extra yoga, or hop on my climber. That's an absolute minimum: one to two days a week, I teach boxing, self-defense and kickboxing to women and kids, at least one or two days a week I do couple hours of boxing training for myself. I do yoga once or twice a week for twenty minutes, and I don't drive: sold the van I had for work seven years ago, and instead I walk or bike as my primary mode of transport (it also saves me loads of cash). Really, any nice day I can get out on my bike for an hour or so is a godsend, not just for my body, but for my peace of mind: in the summera and fall, sunrise or sunset rids on the trails are my nirvana.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is running frantically to class. The college I go to has some pretty crazy parking problems, so many of the students park over a mile away from campus. Then we run for it, because waiting for the bus would take more time.

On weekends I go to a salsa/swing/ballroom dancing class for a couple of hours. I've got 2 left feet, I swear, but it's fun feeling [for once! ] like one of the more coordinated people in the room.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I walk half a mile to and from school every week day. (Plus *ahem* alone time with my boyfriend two to three times a week.) I admit, though, that I generally just chill out on the weekends.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dani Rage
Neophyte
Member # 22203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dani Rage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a two hour cheerleading practice three to four times a week during the school year. Off season I try to streach everyday and lift weights to keep in shape.
Posts: 8 | From: New York City, NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's soccer season, so I've got two hours of intense training on weekdays (sometimes games, too)

I ride horses as well. (Which is actually a lot harder than it looks, folks)

And, for the fun of it (and if you want a really good thigh workout) I run up and down the basement stairs. No kidding, best leg workout I've ever found.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jamsession, I hear you.

I live on the top floor of a three-and-a-half story brownstone with ten-foot ceilings. When I used to show units to prospective tenants here, I'd tell them the stairs were out in-house gym.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.