Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » My friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My friend
BonnieWright13
Activist
Member # 24085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BonnieWright13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends sisters think that she is really skinny and her sisters friends called her anorexic one day. I know shes not. Shes only 13 and is like 5'1 or 5'0 she ways like 110 pounds or somewhere in the 100's she won't really tell. She eats very little and then she says shes full. She probley ways more than her older sister and stuff but yet her sister who is 10 only ways like 80 pounds and she eats alot. My friend dosen't like make her self sick or anything but she gets sick more often with like stomach aches and stuff lately. Shes a real atletic person and plays volleyball and loves to be outside. Shes just never hungry, and is starting to just not feel well alot. Should I be worried? I mean she is taller and weighs more than her sister in college.
Posts: 70 | From: Covington,Kentucky,USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion I believe you do have some reason to be concerned.

It's not necessarily that her weight is bad right now, since weight says little enough about a person's other habits and body-type that it's hard to judge on that alone. (Since she's short, though, if she's naturally thin and small-framed a lower weight is to be expected) but her eating habits are the troubling part.

Anyone, at any age, body size, shape or weight, needs to eat a certain amount in a day to help regulate certain body functions, increase and maintain energy, etc. and from what you've described it sounds like she is probably not getting enough to do just that. Also, the fact she's been feeling ill may signal that her eating habits are either taking affect on her, OR she's suffering from something else that is causing her poor eating habits.

As an athlete, especially, it's important she gets enough nutrients to actually be burning something during the day to stay healthy and not put herself at risk of great injury while being active.

If nothing else and as a first step since it's hard to say exactly what's going on, could you tell her you're concerned for how she's bneen feeling and think it would be good if she saw a doctor? That would be a good step for how often she's been getting stomach problems recently, anyway, and may be a first step to finding out medically if something else is wrong or if she may be having more problems behind the not eating.

Eeating disorders come in many forms; for now since there is still some uncertainty, be sure she knows you're there for her and are concerned for her and how she's feeling.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BonnieWright13
Activist
Member # 24085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BonnieWright13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know for a fact she won't go to a doctor. I've told her to, but in a way I don't want her to. Her doctor is a jerk and they only go to him because he's family. I know she's talked about loosing weight in the past, but I've stressed enough she shouldn't considering her already. When schools in she feels better and stuff and I think it's because she atleast eats lunch there. I know shes not dumb and I have no idea why she would want this. Sometimes it seems I'm the better friend and I'm always getting stuck in weird positions. Mabey she does get full quickly but I doubt it. She takes two bites of a hotdog then says she's full. No one can only eat that much. I was thinking of like people with disorders, like after they cut down on eating or stop they get into a certain eating level. Could she have tricked her body into that by not eating alot? She use to eat alot when she was in the middle of puberty and that would make since but now just barely eats. She drinks alot of Juice and Water so I know she is probley healthy in that wise but I don't know if I can get her to eat more, because what if she really can't?
Posts: 70 | From: Covington,Kentucky,USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some signs that are considered to be part of anorexia are:
Little/no eating in public (as in front of anyone)
A lot of food being eaten are foods such as celery/mushrooms that burn more calories than taking in
Cutting food into teeny tiny pieces
Excessive exercising
Obvious low body weight
Able to see bones (like rib cage)
Hair growth over the body (the hair growth is because since the body doesn't have any fat to keep warm it adapts by growing hair)
I don't think I have all the signs, but those are the most noticeable ones.

[This message has been edited by hot4nerds (edited 07-01-2005).]

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it is good she's drinking water, only liquids can't give you the energy you need to help your body function properly.

Is there any other doctor she could see at all? Finding a new doctor who is actually a nice doctor could help the situation a lot.

It's probably very likely she hasn't been feeling well because she hasn't been eating properly and doesn't have a lot of food in her stomach, as that can certainly cause aches and discomfort.

The majority of the time with any sort of eating disorder (and like I said, eating disorders are a lot more than anorexia or bulemia, I've had an eating disorder before that I still face troubles with ocassionally and I never starved myself or binged and/or purged) is that the person suffering from it cannot overcome it or recover from it until THEY are ready to do so. And in your friends case, she may just not be ready to face that anything is wrong with her to seek the right help.

For now, I'd try recomending to your friend to at least try getting a daily vitamin supplement. That way she'll have a way to get more of the vitamin nutrients she needs, and also (and you might want to encourage this, as well), most supplements recomend you take the pill after you have eaten a meal or along with a meal of some sort.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.