Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Tonsilitis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tonsilitis?
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious if anyone had any ideas how to relieve the pain of tonsilitis. I've got an excruciating pain up the left hand side of my face, and earache on that side too. I'm waiting for my antibiotics to kick in. I'm limited to what I can take, as I'm taking corticosteroids (Qvar 50) for my chest pains, and ibuprofen leaflets say to consult the doctor first if taking them. Am I okay to take ibuprofen, and does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to make my stupid face stop pounding?

It's so bad I can't even open my mouth, and chewing anything is positive agony.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh geez I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

I can't answer your ibuprofen question. Your best bet is to talk to your nurse, doctor or pharmacist.

Have you tried heat/cold therapy. Try to suck on some ice, have some sherbert or something. You can try a heating pad or hot cloth for the outside ... Your face and near your ear.

Also to remember ... It's fairly easy for infections of the ear/nose/throat to spread to each other. There's a good chance that the pain in your ear is related to your throat infection, but keep an eye on it ... Infecion likes to travel.

And defineatly call your doctor. I can't beleive they didn't give you something or tell you what to take for pain relief ... !!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the ideas, Smurf. We've got ice pops (popsicles), which I've been eating for a while, and it's easing it a little.

Yeah, the doctor just gave me amoxycillin and said it'd clear it up. It worked for my infected tooth, within three days I wasn't in pain any more, but this is seemingly a lot worse. I think it's because there's actual swelling involved this time, and obviously because it's all swollen, it's pinching muscles or something, which is making chewing painful.

I'll see what the doctor has to say about the ibuprofen tomorrow. I think if I can take something to get the swelling down, it'll get rid of the pain. Here's hoping. Back to the popsicles I go!

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually as long as you aren't taking any other medication that has acetaminophen (the pain killer in tylonol) or more importantly asprin, taking ibuprofin should not be a problem when taken along with an antibiotic to relieve pain of an infection as well. That's commonly what is given when you get teeth pulled, for example.

Still check with your doctor, but to relieve some lof your worries now, maybe, it probably will be fine that you take something.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dailicious,

The problem isn't taking a pain killer with an antibiotic, it's taking certain pain killers with other prescribed medications.

ladydexter,

How many days have you been on Amoxicillin for? I was on it a month or so ago for an ear infection but had to go back to have it changed to something else b/c it wasn't working ... Apparently Amoxicillin (penicillins in general) isn't the drug of choice anymore. Point being ... If it's been more than a few days and you're not feeling any better, i'd suggest going in to see your doctor and requesting a different antibiotic.

The popsicles should provide some relief tho ... They should bring down the swelling and numb (somewhat) your throat.

(I looked up Qvar in my drugbook ... It doesn't say anything about drug interactions w/ anything, but i would still recommend speaking to your doctor/pharmacist about it before taking anything ... Better to be safe than sorry.)

Feel better

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Yeah - I wasn't worried about antis with painkillers, because I've already been told they're fine to take when I had my root canal done (shoddy dentistry leading up to, but that's another story). It was the ibuprofen mixing with the Qvar I was worried about - I'm swollen enough, without having an allergic reaction to stuff on top!

It's actually working for the time being, but it seems to be very hit and miss - on Saturday I barely suffered, but as I said, on Sunday I was in absolute agony. It's gone down again today. I'll see what happens - if it's as bad as it was on Sunday at any point, I'll head back.

In the UK, Amoxy seems to be given for EVERYTHING. (Mother once comically pointed out you need less amoxycillin for gonorrhea than you do for a dental abcess.) The only thing they've not treated with Amoxycillin that I've had was cystitis, and they gave me trimethoprim for that.

I've taken that much amoxycillin (I have to have syrup, since I can't swallow capsules) that it doesn't even taste of anything any more. Scary, isn't it. I doubt amoxycillin will work for me before long, but for now it seems to be, so we'll see how it goes. Oh, and to answer, since Friday lunch. I took two doses on Friday, and three on Saturday and Sunday. I will continue to take it three times a day for an unknown number of days (no specified length of course on the bottle!).

Thanks for the quick lookup, Smurf!

Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tonsilits just last month, the doctor prescribed both an antibiotic and painkiller for me. They also decided to not prescribe me penicillin or amoxicillin anymore because it just doesn't work for me. The one they put me on is Keflex. It worked well, but unfortunatly it feels as though the infection is coming back.

Also, I was told to gargle with listerine because it kills the germs in the back of your throat and helps clear it up. I know your pain, thats why I feel it is important to go back to the doctor. Tylonel and ibeprofen are ok but for that pain they just aren't strong enough.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

I'm ba~ack...

Penicillin worked, kinda, but it made me sleepy and ill. So after coming off it, I'm fine, go to work yesterday, blah. Today, go into work with a headache when I move my head, which gets worse at work, and I go back to the doctor, who gives me Zithromax and a sick note for a week.

He says that the air conditioning at work is making matters worse and says I can either move jobs, keep getting sick notes until September, when I know what's happening (my fiance may be moving away to uni, and I will be going with him if he does), or have the tonsils out.

I'm kind of wary about tonsilectomy because dad had it done and they messed up and he was in hospital for three months, so...

Changing the job is no biggie, because I'm not happy where I am anyway - it's poorly paid for the type of work it is (child abuse) and it's very upsetting all day every day. As I say, it depends on whether my fiance moves to go to uni or goes to uni here - once I know that, I can move.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

I had a tonsilectomy when i was 5. I don't remember it much, but from what i hear, they're not usually that bad. It might even be day surgery now.

From what i hear though, they really really try to avoid doing them now. The tonsils kind of protect your respiratory system ... Whatever bug you're going to get is halted at the tonsils and that's as far as they go. Some people who have their tonsils removed end up w/ chest infection after chest infection, and really, they may have been better off keeping their tonsils.

If you can change jobs and avoid it all, i really think thats the best way to go.

Good luck getting it all sorted out!

(Zithromax is heavy duty stuff ... That should clear ya right up!)

ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

I hope so, Smurf, but it looks like I may be allergic to it - I've got blotches all over the top of my back and the tops of my thighs. I'll check it with the doctor tomorrow at my blood tests - he wants to confirm it isn't glandular fever.

EDIT: Confirmed. It's an allergic reaction, and this means a potential allergy to the entire azithromycin family. As a result, they haven't given me any more, and say just see how it goes.

To add more confusion into the matter, my fiance has caught the mumps, and we've been in contact during the contagious period! Quarantine, here I come!

[This message has been edited by ladydexter (edited 06-23-2005).]

ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Well, it's confirmed this morning that I have caught the mumps, on top of tonsilitis. My face is starting to swell up again. Doctor said to take both paracetamol and ibuprofen - is it me or does that sound lethal?

I'm doing better than my other half - he's been hospitalised with a bad fever and severely swollen testes. He's not too bad, just doped up on morphine. I suppose I'm lucky I don't have dangly bits to swell!

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
taking paracetamol (aka Tylenol) and ibuprofen together isn't that bad. As with any pharmaceutical, there are side effects. but those two work in different ways to reduce fever and inflammation. So you'll be attacking the problem from two different angles.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlondChik1424
Activist
Member # 15765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlondChik1424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~ Pickle Juice ~ I don't know why but it worked for me when mine were taken out!!
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.