Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on antibiotics, and my infection has been gone for about 3-4 days. I hate antibiotics and dont want to continue them. Would it be extremely likely that i'd redevelop my infection if i stopped taking the antibiotics?
Posts: 51 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

You always need to finish the full course prescribed: because SYMPTOMS have subsided doesn't actually mean the infection is gone. Just that the symptoms are.

What's driving you nuts about them? Certainly, they should be used only as needed, but if they're creating side effects for you, there are usually simple means of managing those.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's important to always finish off your course of antibiotics as prescribed because if you don't, the tiny few bacteria that survive may become resistant to antibiotics. then they grow and multiply. Pretty soon, not only will you get sick again, but it could spread to other folks and this time, the drugs won't help.

so whenever you get antiobiotics, you need to take them as prescribed. don't stop early.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle Ravel
Activist
Member # 21100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle Ravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone here. If you must take antibiotics, take the full round of them, or else a tiny bit of the infection will stay in your body, become resistant to drugs, and multiply. Then you have a problem.

I understand about hating to take pills or medicine, though. Sometimes antibiotics can make you feel really icky. The thing is, while the "bad bacteria" is being killed (yay!), "good bacteria" in your body, the helpful bacteria, is also being attacked. This can make you feel out of balance for weeks after taking antibiotics while the "good bacteria" in your body is low.

Which is why, after you finish taking your antibiotics, you might want to consider taking "probiotics", a supplement of good bacteria. You can find probiotic supplements in your local health food store. Or you can just eat lots of yoghurt, which has lots of active bacteria and tastes great! Try eating it plain with some fruit, and don't get the low fat kind--get the real, superduper creamy kind with lots of active cultures.

That's what I do when I take antibiotics. I take the full round--every single last pill--and then have lots of yoghurt for a week. Try it and see if it makes you feel better.

Posts: 51 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanks for the info about probiotics! that's really the thing that bothers me - the idea that i'm using something to kill all the natural bacteria in my body. but yeah, making immune bacteria is no good. no worries guys, i finished the medicine...
Posts: 51 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to tack on, if you are worried about your natural bacteria:

Eat yogurt! Especially after you've been sick with stomach infections or viruses yogurt will help you build back up that helpful bacteria in your body. Also, eating a cup of yogurt every day will help decrease the risk of yeast infection in women.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

well, i have acidophilus pills. but i'm vegan, so i don't eat yogurt. thanks for the tip though.
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acidophillus'll do it I very often see acidophillus prescribed in conjunction to antibiotics for that very reason ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HempHippie
Activist
Member # 22303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HempHippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yogurt does the trick. Plus its good for you.

------------------
Once in a while
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right.

Posts: 56 | From: Deep woods of NH | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get vegan soy "yoghurt" with acidophillus in it .
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tofutticutie
Activist
Member # 14673

Icon 10 posted      Profile for tofutticutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh that's right, they do put acidophilus in it. i should look for some of that... Thank you!

------------------

Michelle Ravel
Activist
Member # 21100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle Ravel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acidopholis is also really good for digestion in general. When I went to China, I took it every day, in case of intolerance to some of the food I ate.

Then I discovered that many Chinese people drink this fantastic liquid yoghurt drink in the mornings for the same reason!

Posts: 51 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.