Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Is it possible to increase my height?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible to increase my height?
Sorrow of wind bird sky
Neophyte
Member # 12191

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sorrow of wind bird sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I go to several medicine & health shops asking if there are any medicines that I can take to make myself higher... Of course they say no~ (otherwises I wouldn't be here asking~)

Is height simply being determined by genes inherited from your parents? Before I tried doing many kinds of sports (such as playing basketball, jogging, etc) but I only got headache and felt wanting to puke... (maybe my body is not quite right... I don't smoke nor take drugs, but my health is simply "weak")

When I go on Internet to search for height, there are sooo many threads that I don't even know whether the methods and pills they provide are true or false (and I am broke, have no money for the books & pills~ lol )

Is it still possible for me to grow "up"? I am a 19 years old student. Everytime I go to elementary school to pick up my sister, I feel depressed and ashamed because most of the students there are taller than me...

(And plzzz don't say that height doesn't matter... When I have to look "up" to a youth, I feel worthless.... most people who proclaim height doesn't matter are taller than me... maybe I am just atrabilious..)

Posts: 35 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey! nice vocabulary word!

no, there isn't anything you can take or do to increase your height. there just isn't.

there have been some very dangerous, highly controversial, and expensive surgeries done where they basically break both your legs and stretch them, but that is absolutely beyond the realm of reason.

yes, I am going to tell you that you're just going to have to learn to love it - or do as some of my friends do, and don't wear anything without a good heel on it. that can throw your back out of whack, too, though, so nothing is without its price.

me, I'm 5 feet tall, and often mistaken for an eighth-grader (12/13 year old) when I visit my mom at her school. I try to just look on the bright side - pants are never too short, and I can always stand up on a plane.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from the leg breaking (OWWIE!!!), there are other medical treatments for promoting growth. If you really are petite (and not because of dwarfism), you can talk to your doctor about hormone treatment. People under this treatment receive injections of human growth hormone. It's a steroid hormone in the same family as estrogen and testosterone. But to get this treatment, you have to be deficient in the hormone (this can be measured with some blood work), genuinely small for your age, and you have to be in the early stages of puberty. That means if you are 15 or up (in fact, discussion of HGH therapy should start when the patient is around 11 if it seems the person's just not growing like he/she should be), don't count on qualifying for treatment.

Since our user base here is generally too old for growth hormone therapy, I just wanted to put that forward for your information, in case y'all know someone who might benefit for it later (younger sibs or baby-sitting charges or whatever).

And lemming's right, it's not so bad being a shorty. i'm 5'3" and that's enough to board rollercoasters, so i can't say I'm missing out on anything.

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are mdical growth treatments but they are painful and somewhat dangerous.
I want you to know my best friend is very short. She is 30 years old and 4 feet 1.25 inches. This was not caused by dwarfism she had spinal fusion as a child. She had a baby 3 years ago and when the 3 of us go out often people think i am Mom to both of them.
Being very short can suck, just like being very tall can suck. But she can shop in the childrens department and saves about 70% on clothes. She also has a hand controled car(because she can't reach the peddals) so we always get to park in the handcaped parking. Plus no one who meets her ever forgets her name.
Every one is unique in some way.

Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those growth hormones have to be given when a person is a young child, because if you take them later, you just screw up your hormones, and get weird disfunctions. My aunt's ex-husband had some sort of growth disorder, and his parents put him on growth hormones now he's 5'6" and basically has a 2" neck, and some other strange things. I really wouldn't look into growth hormones if you're 19 years old. If you feel alone and stuff about being a short statured person, I'm sure there are some support groups out there about it. I'm sorry height is an issue for me. It kind of is for me. I'm 5'9" and finding pants is a pain in the tush, and when I was younger and guys hadn't reached their growth spurts yet, they were all shorter than me! But now I feel like the short one... I hope thinks start to look better for you, good luck

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeresa
Neophyte
Member # 13184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I myself am 5'3, at age 16. I hate it.. looking at all the girls around me who are 5 7 and such with absolutely no fat.. Im so jelous, I reeeally wish I was one of those girls. but Im just gunna have to stick to heels I guess, and diet/exercise a little more. Lol

------------------
Fae
"Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit!"

Posts: 8 | From: Rogers County, OKLA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pisces
Activist
Member # 11886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faeresa:
I myself am 5'3, at age 16. I hate it.. looking at all the girls around me who are 5 7 and such with absolutely no fat.. Im so jelous, I reeeally wish I was one of those girls. but Im just gunna have to stick to heels I guess, and diet/exercise a little more. Lol

Actually, 5'3" is quite average for a woman. (My mother is 5'3" and I'm 5'4" --it's really not that short)

Also, make sure that you don't diet and exercise to an extreme to try and have "absolutely no fat" because... people are supposed to have fat. Women need a certain percentage of body fat to carry a child and not have a health risk. And since you're only 16, you probably shouldn't really be dieting...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most people who are short wish they were tall, and people who are tall wish they were short. Me? I'm right in the middle.

Life is hard for everybody. Short people's pants are too long, and tall people can't find long enough pants. It sucks!

But you were made the way you are for a reason. So be happy that you're even here!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agent_Smith
Neophyte
Member # 13186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Agent_Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always look on the bright side, altohugh being short is somewhat embarasing (especialy if your around tall people) its just as bad the other way, I'm 17, ive been 6 ft 2 since i was about 14, and it can be not much fun, getting a life in a small car, leg room in cinema, being forced to pay adult prices in cinema cause you have no id etc. My best friend is 5 ft, and it is quite funny to look at, we both get down sometimes aobut our height, but really although its upsetting don't let the bastards grind you down.
Posts: 11 | From: S/w England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost 18, finished growing and i'm 4'11. I love being short. Despite being short, I am my mothers daughter, which simply means I have her youthful look, and I'm very often mistaken for a 13 or 14 year old, but I've gotten passed that.

I'm tall enough for the rides at parks and and to wear what clothes I want. I do'nt know what it is but i've always felt really good being petite, and I think it's nice to be able to look up at a tall guy.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out the NYTimes article. the FDA approved growth hormone for making short kids just a little less short.

quote:
The drug, Humatrope, is not for normal children yearning for a few extra inches, the agency cautioned. It is for the shortest 1.2 percent.

The drug's maker, Eli Lilly & Company , counts about 400,000 such children ages 7 to 15, but predicts that only 10 percent will receive growth hormone because of eligibility restrictions and because six shots a week are required for years.

"This is not cosmetic use," said Dr. David Orloff, the agency's chief of endocrinology.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 07-28-2003).]

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.