Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » y am i always sneepy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: y am i always sneepy?
billiejeanisnotmylover86
Neophyte
Member # 12698

Icon 12 posted      Profile for billiejeanisnotmylover86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, i'm 17 and trying to do my final year of school and it seems like i'm always tired!!! I'm serious about getting the most out of all my classes, but I always feel like I'm not concentrating as much as I could because I'm always sleepy! I sleep from 12 until 8 in the morning and I thought 8 hours was supposed to be enough, but when I wake up instead of feeling refreshed, rested, ready-to-go etc, I just feel grumpy and my eyes hurt and stuff. I don't think my body clock is working - it doesn't seem to understand that night time is for sleeping and day is for being wide awake. I spend classes yawning, with my head on the desk, wishing I was lying at home in bed. People call me sleepyhead and tell me to go to bed earlier, but I have to work after school and then do study. One friend told me to move to Spain because they have Siestas in the afternoon! I just might do that if I manage to graduate, but meanwhile are there any more immediate solutions? Mum says I should stress less and eat more vegetables. But Mums always say that, don't they.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost_Blue_Angel
Neophyte
Member # 11158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost_Blue_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the exact same problem as you- a while back i went to my doctors and told him about it and he sent me for some blood tests and it came back saying i had a potassium defficiency- which causes extreme sleepiness among other things so i was told to drink more pure orange juice and eat more oranges+ green salads.
so perhaps you should go to your doctor and see what he says!

Posts: 26 | From: England-UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem, went to the doctors, and found out that i'm anemic. So defineatly, check w/ your doctor/nurse!

In the meantime, and even after the appointment, why not try to relax before you go to bed. Make a routine; if you shower before bed, do it at the same time every nite. Try not to eat or drink too much before bed, b/c it can sit in your stomach and make you uncomfortable and make you have to pee. Get all ready for bed, grab a book, and read for a bit. But don't do this IN bed.

Stress is often a HUGE factor is sleep disturbances. Try to leave your worries at the (bedroom) door. 7-8 hours is the avg needed for an adult, but it's more for some people. Knowing your body, it's limits and needs is super important. Maybe giving yourself an extra hour would work.

Do you exercise at all? I've found that a 20-30 min workout mid day gives me all the strength and energy i need to get me through the rest of the day ... And i'm actually really tired when i go to bed!

Do you wake up at all in the middle of the nite? Interuptions or lack of REM sleep can leave you feeling sleepy, tired, and downright bummed out if you're not getting enough REM.

Again ... see your doctor S/he'll likely be able to help you sort these things out!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you eating enough? The food we eat really contributes to how much energy we have so take your mom up on those veggies.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excercise is a key factor, it really helps. I walk a lot during the day due to school and I walk home everyday which is a 10 minute walk. Yoga or just a breif stretch can make you feel much better and less groggy. I used to wake up and my eyes would feel like theyre all sunk back in my head and hurt, I think it may have been because I was not tired enough when I went to bed. Then wake up in the morning and don't want to wake up. I've heard that teenagers need more sleep than adults, about 9-10 hours a night. And realize that when you go to bed at 12 that you probably dont fall asleep for a good half hour.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eight hours of sleep is avarage some people need only 6 hours, some 10. When growth is occuring in a body more sleep is needed. And sometimes when you are under stress you baody wants more sleep.
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, from the age of about 15-18/19 you're supposed to actually be getting closer to 10 hours. I was suprised when I learned that in my psych class, cuz I too thought 8 hours was supposed to be enough. ha! go fig, i was missin out on 2 whole hours. no wonder why i always slept from 1 to 3pm my freshman year of college!
Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So glad I found this. I can totally relate. I feel like crap in the mornings. I get to bed around 11:30 wake up at 6, and want to just stay in bed. I've pretty much failed semester two of my junior year, and I'm TOTALLY depressed about it. I've got to bust ass during the summer now.

I've got a form of ADD. Type #5 actually, one doctor called it "Type 5 Nimbic" or something. Anyway, it's the ADD that includes depression. And apparently I read this book suggested to my mother by one of the School Psychiatrists (I know I sooo spelled that wrong! lol sorry!!) anyway, it's called "Healing ADD" and in it, the Dr. who wrote it talks about how having certain types of ADD can lead to not being able to sleep.

So if you go to the dr. about not being able to sleep, and you've never been diagnosed ADD, look into it, it couldn't hurt! Good luck

[]Edited because what I had written before ended up being totally off-topic[]
------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by PrettyGirlSuffering (edited 05-17-2003).]

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.