Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Faux Self-Esteem Site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Faux Self-Esteem Site
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/02/11/beef_teen_people/index.html?x

Just had to post this. From the above article:

"Cool to be real!" -- it's the chirpy slogan, and name, of a new Web site for preteen girls that's chock-full of self-esteem-boosting messages and helpful tips on leading a healthy lifestyle. What could be wrong with that?

Well, maybe the fact that the site is actually a thinly cloaked advertorial for the joys of eating beef, brought to budding carnivores everywhere by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. This is an I-got-a-cow-to-sell-ya sales job that insults the intelligence of the average 12-year-old."

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better living through beef!
You've gotta give them points for creativity, anyway. Honestly, though, I don't think its chances of making teen girls carnivorous are too high, since, at least for the age group it seems to be aimed at, cooking meat's just too much of a pain in the arse, asking mum to buy 'fully cooked ground beef crumbles' next time she's out is likely to fall on deaf ears, since it's just a convenience food, and most would rather spend their kitchen time making something sweet like cookies anyway. I also know most girls that age aren't stupid anyway, and would likely see through this right away. Honestly, all it's made me want to do is listen to Primus. I'd like to see the boy's version, though.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I kind of liked the poll:

"What type of beef do you most like to eat with your friends?
Steak
Tacos
Burgers
Subs"

I thought that was pretty classy.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
while i'm carnivorous, i'm not cool with websites posing as something they're not. i heard an and on the radio for a website where teens can talk about issues in their lives and get sexual health resources.

the site turned out to be pro-life propaganda. the usual junk, too. gory (misrepresentative) pictures and claims that abortion causes suicide.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geez. what a website, indeed. the look is that of the average teen girl website that feminine hygiene product companies put out...just for..beef. unbelievable.

regarding what gummy said: you know, what surprises me, is how well done these "hidden" pro-life websites can be, how pleasing the layout and the graphics are, and how the real agenda is hidden well behind seeming "facts", i.e. statistical data about the psychological effects of abortion or an associated breast cancer risk.
in the past, you could at least spot the propaganda by the pictures of aborted fetuses. not anymore, in many cases.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, good point Alaska, but are sites put out by fem. hygiene products really any better? Those exist purely for the purpose of selling their product, slant their information so that it can ignore important facts, and try to appeal to teenage insecurities to push their message ('buy ____!'). I guess the moral of the story is to know what purpose a website really has before you trust the information you're getting there.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 02-13-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Hmmm, good point Alaska, but are sites put out by fem. hygiene products really any better?

Oh, of course not, Milke. I agree with you wholeheartedly that those sites are just as bad. Sorry for not being clear on this.

However, I can at least see some connection (however minute) between trying to educate (albeit badly) & encouraging girls about puberty/self-esteem/their bodies when trying to sell them tampons. But trying to sell beef with self esteem? Just seems way too off for me, that's all.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-14-2003).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska:
But trying to sell beef with self esteem? Just seems way too off for me, that's all.

It's a sick, sad world when we've gone from "I am woman, hear me roar!" to "I am woman, watch me eat steak!"

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
"I am woman, watch me eat steak!"

exactly!

~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe..........is all I gotta say.

"IM A WOMAN! WATCH ME EAT STEAK!"

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.