Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » CIGARETTES (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CIGARETTES
Thumper
Neophyte
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of us are aware of the serious long-term damage cigarettes can cause to our health whether we are smoking or the person beside us is. We also know that the only reason cigarettes are legal is to save thrid world countries whose main industry is manufacturing cigarettes. I would like smokers to explain to me why you smoke...it really troubles me! And for all the non-smokers - what is your view on smoking?
i know i am pushing the guidelines here but if your excuse to smoking is becuase you look cool or all your friends do it, you may want to think twice! its bad for you and thats the bottom line - no if ands or buts!!!!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-smoker here. I don't do it because I find it extrememly unattractive, not only in looks but taste and smell.

One of my proud moments was on one of my old hockey teams. The coach had a deal with all of is teams that he had coached that if they placed first in the tournement, he'd quit smoking. The last tourney of the season, we placed first and he had to quit smoking.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlight23
Activist
Member # 9388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starlight23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think that smoking cigarettes (or any other legal/illegal smoking type...thing...) is just gross. it smells awful, turns your teeth yellow, and it can kill you. and if it doesnt kill you, it can make your life very difficult. I have aunts and uncles who smoke, and we've been trying to get them to quit for years. my cousin tryed to get his mom (my aunt) to quit, but couldn't, so he started! i just dont understand it...i know that there is the addiction and all and its hard...but what's more important, and addiction, or you're life and the lives of the people you care about?
Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker. Never had an urge to do and I hope I never will. The only immediate family member of mine to smoke is my older brother. He has to do it outside and he is not allowed to smoke around any of us or in our car.

I don't smoke because I find it unnatractive and I know it's bad for your health. Simple as that. The smell also makes me dizzy, and have a horrible headache. It can also cause further problems for my diabetes.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a non smoker because i know what it is to smoke. my mom used to hold a cigarrette in one hand and inhaler in the other (she still does, actually...). because she smoked so much around me as a child, i developed asthma, and had to use a breathing machine before school many a morning. not fun.

side story!!! my boyfriend quit smoking shortly after we were going out, because he saw how much it irritated my breathing. i bought him a cupcake as thanks

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeachBabe26
Neophyte
Member # 9189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachBabe26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-smoker. I don't smoke because I don't find it attractive, it doesn't smell good, and I simply can't be around it. Also, I would never want to kiss someone who smoked, so why would I expect anyone to want to kiss me if I smoked?

Besides all this, my dad died of lung cancer, my aunt of emphezma, my grand-pa of a type of lung cancer...etc. It just overall doesn't seem like a good idea.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't smoke. why? I think it's simply because the idea that i could ever smoke never crossed my mind. And of course because it's bad for me and expensive. I don't like the smell and i feel like suffocating when sitting right beside someone who smokes.

My grandpa used to smoke. He quit a year ago, on my parents wedding anniversary. He had tried many times to stop before that, but it was more to please us than for himself, so it didn't work. But last year he was beginning to feel sick, and his doctor told him "quit smoking or die". why he chose that day to stop is so he could remember the day easily to count how long he hasn't smoked. (and it was the closer day to his appointment).

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_1ofakind
Activist
Member # 3215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_1ofakind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as I am the only smoker replying, I feel embarrassed that I smoke. The reason I started smoking was a bad one. I just moved to a different state and all the people I hung out with smoked so I wanted to fit in. Now the reason I smoke is different. I have tried to quit so many times and I just can't seem to get up enough will power to quit. I know it is bad for me and eventually it will kill me, but I just can't quit. I want to quit though and it bothers me that my cravings are controling me.

[This message has been edited by sunshine_1ofakind (edited 08-09-2002).]

Posts: 61 | From: Mayfield, Ky | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker. I used to be pretty vehemently anti-smoking, but I've mellowed a bit. In middle and high school, I got very angry when my friends started smoking. Now, in university, I figure everyone who smokes has been doing so for a while and is already addicted. So there's not much I can do about it... (how depressing )

I never started because:
1)My parents didn't smoke so I didn't have easy access to cigarettes
2)I'm very sensitive to the smell. It makes my eyes sting.
3)I was a big geek. I actually believed all those anti-drug videos they showed us at school. I also didn't hang out with the "cool" kids, so there wasn't any peer pressure.
4)I hate the idea of being addicted to something. I'm not 100% anti-drugs, but I think moderation is very important.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never smoked. I just couldn't see the sense of a product that was lethal when used as directed. Tobacco killed my mother-in-law 10 years ago and an aunt about 25 years ago.

A question to ask. When you meet a person who makes your heart go aflutter, how do you react when you find out that person smokes? From my perspective as a heterosexual male, I find smoking about the most unerotic thing a woman can do. It's a real mood killer.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to reply to this! I smoked cigarettes and something else for a year and a half. I started because of peer pressure, by my best friend. I quit smoking cigarettes in January or so, I dont remember cuse one day I just decided to quit. I used to always have my own cigarettes but I didnt smoke too much. A pack would last about 3-4 maybe only 2 days.

I would be smoking a cigarette and ask myself "Why am i doing this?" It was pathetic, I didnt have a job, my lunch money supported my habit. The truth is sunshine_1ofakind that you CAN quit. My grandparents smoked for 40, yes 40 years but when my Grandma went in the hospital for the first time, my grandpa quit. My grandma was on ventilaters and her habit was killing her. Well soon after see got out of the hospital she started up again, went into the hospital AGAIN. I think it took her 3 times to quit. I think its been about 4 years since she's touched a cigarette.

All you need is will-power and want to quit. Trust me, if i could do it, my grandparents could do it and so could my mom. Then you can, too. Just have some faith in yourself. I know it sucks to have cravings control your life, oh i know. But no more for me!!

[This message has been edited by Olive (edited 08-09-2002).]

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker.
1. I try to be very careful of my health. I know that if I have bad health, well, that will affect all aspects of my life negatively. A healthy body is very, very important to me (hey, I live in it)
2. Cost. Oh, how those packs can add up...just a pack a week costs you a lot of money in the long run.
3. The smell! Eeew...cigarette odor just clings. My sister and my father smoke, and when I leave their house, I smell like it and I hate it.

Well, the health factor is the most important. I like being able to breathe, run, and live. I don't think I could date a smoker. Every time I smelled smoke or saw him/her light up, I would be very angry and sad. Plus, the smell DOES stick around, and I hate it.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Bobolink's question made me think and I realized that I've never kissed a nonsmoker. I've kissed five people and all of them smoked, something I was aware of before kissing each of them.

It's not that I find it terribly attractive but it really doesn't bother me. The smell doesn't offend me at all (unless I'm exposed to it for hours on end with no fresh air) and I don't notice it on myself after being around smokers. (That doesn't mean it isn't there, I just don't notice.)

Really, the only problem I have with it is the health issues. Seeing someone I care about slowly chip away at their lungs' ability to function is less than appealing.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 08-09-2002).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadianchick69
Neophyte
Member # 8080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianchick69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smoker.sorta. i smoke maybe one or two a week. I use to binge eat whenever i got stressed, which just made me fat, so i started puking after bingeing and of course, thats even worse. My friend offered me up a smoke one day when i was stressing byut trying to force myself not to eat anything...cuz it was only for comfort of course...and i discovered it helped me out, and i didnt need to binge/purge anymore (ive stopped completely now!) . So i had one maybe 3x a week, whenever i started stressing and it was incredibly calming. but then i started going to therapy and dealing with my issues. I have less stress attacks now and i know smoking is bad for my health so im trying to quit, its not hard, my addiction is mainly psychological. I didnt do it for peer pressure i did it for an escape. thats my view on it...and once again, i know all teh risks, and im quitting!
Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thumper:
We also know that the only reason cigarettes are legal is to save thrid world countries whose main industry is manufacturing cigarettes.

We do? Honestly, I have no idea what that assumption is based on considering that the country who makes the most money from the sale of tobacco, and is most reliant on its revenues is...yep, the United States.

And I have yet to see that there is any philanthropy in it whatsoever. I think you're giving the tobacco industry a lot of credit that isn't due tham at all.

While I'm here, I'll fess up as I have before. I am a smoker. I have been a smoker since I was 11 years old, for over 20 years now, and have tried to quit several times, once succeeding for nine months. I am, unfortunately, a living testament to the fallacy that you can smoke as a teen and easily quit with no problem. Addiction is sadly equal opportunity.

Not sure what the answer is for me yet, as noe of the medications seems to work, but I know I'm not done trying. In my case, it's especially pathetic and often humiliating because in every other sense, I am this close to being health-obsessed: I eat more healthfully and mindfully than most people I know, I take amazing care of my body and the world around it, etc. So, I don't like being a smoker one bit.

Problem is, I don't dislike the feeling of smoking enough for quitting to have worked thus far, and to boot, I'm battling a 20-year-addiction. We shall see. But really, just don't start. And if you already did start in your teens, stop now while it's still a million times easier. You'll be doing yourself an incredible favor.

(And for the record, please don't think that because a smoker runs this board you should not have this topic or cool it with it -- I'm very much in support of topics like these.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nonsmoker... for life! =)

no offense to those who do... but i think it an unattractive and disgusting habit.

i can not stand the smell most of all... i start gagging. lol... which makes me pretty unattractive, making me want to stay away from those who smoke even more. lol

my mom is a no smoking advocate... she used to even have one of those little sign things that said "NO SMOKING" and when my aunts or uncle would go to get their ciggerettes i would practically shove the thing in their faces. (hey i was like 8...) my mom does not let anyone smoke in the house or the car; they have to stand outside.

i'm totally going to be like that when i get my own house and car. =)

------------------
dont worrie b happie... its like a law! =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-smoker. I see smoking as a weakness. If you started, you can quit. You can do anything you set your mind to.

I think a lot of people who say they can't quit are just naive and they don't seem to realize that they are losing a battle they'll never win against a lethal drug. It's killing you, it's costing you, and it's uglyfying you!

I don't see how smokers can be so inconsiderate of other people's lives. You smokers are polluting our precious Earth. You're taking time away from my time with my life, my children, and my family, and you're doing the same to yourself.

I would never smoke.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 08-10-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note here, and not because this is unfortunately one of my vices.

As with any other topic, scolding people here or issuing harsh judgements isn't okay at the boards. It wouldn't be okay to do in terms of safer sex or birth control, nor to meat-eaters about mass pollution due to methane gases, or people who drive solo everywhere about vehicle pollution, or to folks who buy clothing from chains that use sweat shops, and so forth.

So, voice your feelings about YOU as you will, but do refrain from the sort of thing we ask all users to refarin from in all other topics on the board.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68211 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes smoke. If someone has one and offers me one I will take it. Why? I have no idea. When I was younger I always used to say that I wanted to just try cig's. And I did on my 15th birthday. I don't see how anyone can get addicted. I think it is just something to do with my hands when I am bored and something I know my parents wouldn't exactly like. I only smoke a couple times a year, and I know it's bad, but at least I am not addicted.

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please be careful not to post questionable or inaccurate information on these boards. It's harmful to other users, and contrary to our Guidelines.

------------------
You're the one I adore
You're my C64

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Non-smoker here.

I initially decided never to touch them not because of health reasons, but because I saw so many people struggling to kick their addicition, that I reasoned it would be easier if I just never started at all - that way I would never have that struggle. (Talk about a circular sentence there!!)

Then when I got older, my dad started talking to me about his work, and about the sorts of things he had to treat smokers for, and that frightened me out of the temptation rather effectively...

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Not sure what the answer is for me yet, as none of the medications seems to work, but I know I'm not done trying.

Hey Miz S, have you ever considered hypnotherapy to kick the cravings?? I had 2 friends try it last year, and they both had some really pleasing results...

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 08-11-2002).]

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a NONsmoker, but unfortunately my precious boyfriend (and sadly, most of my other friends) do smoke.

i admit that i tried smoking a few times when i was in high school. i just never saw the point in it. it tastes bad, smells bad, feels bad... how can that be fun?

i really wish my boyfriend would quit though. i love him dearly and plan to marry him. i want any future children to have TWO healthy parents to share their life's adventures with! i don't want to bury my future husband prematurely. my great grandparents suffered terrible cases of lung cancer and throat cancer.

i don't nag my boyfriend to quit because i know that is just irritating. smokers know that what they are doing is bad for them; that's not the point. i do try to make my point that i don't enjoy enhaling all that grossness by staying inside when he goes out to smoke (thank god he doesn't smoke in his house...yuck) instead of keeping him company. and i'm not shy to point out if he has icky breath and make him use mouthwash. occasionally i will mention something about how much i wish he would quit though.

he tried to a few years ago and did really well for about 2 months, but i can only imagine how difficult it must be to try and quit when all your friends are still smoking. i'm hoping he will try again very soon.

does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how they might have helped persuade a loved on to give quitting another chance?

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sneeg
Neophyte
Member # 9356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sneeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the money from the tobacco settlements a few years ago, a lot of states have set up toll free quit lines. These are really great services that use highly trained people who can answer any question you might have about quiting tobacco. With just a quick search on Google, I found ones in Wisconsin, South Dakota, Florida, Vermont, Oregon, and New York. I'm sure there are more out there if anyone is interested.
Posts: 3 | From: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am not a smoker. i have asthma. i have three deceased grandparents who died as a result of tobacco related diseases.

i doubt you will ever find a smoker who isn't aware of the negative impact smoking has on their body. that's why it's ineffective to simply berate them for doing it. they know it's not an attractive habit, and they know it is lethal. but y'know what? addiction is a strange and intimidating thing. people who aren't addicted sometimes don't understand the challenge it really presents to addicts. even the addicts themselves don't understand -- we call this denial.

the best we can do is offer resources for people who want to quit so they can quit effectively. no lapses. no excuses.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni
Activist
Member # 6560

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Jenni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No smoking here. Hate, hate, hate it. I just wanted mention something that really gets me about smoking. My aunt's boyfriend once told me there were two things he would change if he could go back in his life, and one of them was his smoking habit- he would never have started. He's 51, and I assume has been smoking a long time.

Something about that really gets me.

Posts: 43 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zanney:
Hey Miz S, have you ever considered hypnotherapy to kick the cravings?? I had 2 friends try it last year, and they both had some really pleasing results...

I know someone who takes Welbutrin and it was way easy for them to wuit on that. And that hypnosis...my Grandpa and his girlfriend had it done after 50 years of smoking and they're still of for 2 long months. I say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

For Zanney and Thumper: In the past, I've been told I was one of those folks who is very resistant to hypnosis, but that was many years ago, so heck, it may not be the case anymore.

In terms of something like Wellbutrin, that's a no-go for me. I was on Prozac for a set period of time ( didn't do poop in terms of the smoking) and now take 5-HPT instead, which works much better from me. Not only would Wellbutrin interact with that, I'm very reluctant to replace one chemical dependency with another, even if the other is technically more benign -- it still keeps up the dependency behaviors, which are the real problem when it comes to a 20-year-habit.

Tried something like that years and years back, and it was a dud. I quit for nine months, and about the time I dropped the replacement drug was when I just started smoking again.

But I will look into hypnotherapists in the area. It sure can't hurt to give it another try. Thanks for caring.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

WinterMoon
Neophyte
Member # 9885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WinterMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-smoker.
My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me, and that resulted in me being born with hearing problems, which have since been cured. I also had a mild case of Asthma when I was a child as well.

Mum quit smoking when she discovered she ahd cancer (bowel cancer - not related to smoking), and my Dad and sister both smoke.
I don't like smoking. I find it unattractive, and unhealthy. When my dad comes in from having a smoke, and gives me a hug goodnight, it smells hideous. Not to mention that

In response to Bobolink's question, when I meet a guy I'm attracted to, and then I see them light up and smoke a cigarette, the attraction light just goes out in my head. It's completely unerotic, as Bobolink said.

------------------
**Please try to keep signatures to five lines or less**

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 09-09-2002).]

Posts: 28 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, my father was doing a university course through distance ed. One of his courses was human bioscience, and he made sure to pass all of the information he learned about the effects of smoking onto me. I promised myself I would never smoke at a very young age, and I never have.

One of my baby-sitters used to smoke, and I always took great joy in hiding her cigarettes and ash tray from her. Sometimes she would bribe me into telling her where they were, but sometimes I would hold out until my mother got home and made me give them back. I remember that I did it because she was a lovely woman and I didn't want her dying of cancer.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Another reason not to smoke.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 8 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smoking = Yuck. Plain and Simple.

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been avoiding posting on this topic for quite a while, mainly because I definetly go against the grain. I smoke. I like smoking. And, at this point in my life, I have no interest in quitting. This could change momentarily, but as for right now, I'm happy with my one vice, and I'm going to continue it.

I understand that it's unhealthy for me, but, ultimately, hearing people tell me just how unhealthy it is irritates me more than makes me want to quit. From my understanding, this is a somewhat general consensus amongst the smokers I've encountered.

I respect public bans, and I happily avoid smoking around people who don't enjoy my habit. It makes me happy, and for the most part, I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't make other's lives umcomfortable.

I suppose what really irritates me is the fact that, even though I go out of my way to avoid exposing those who don't want the exposure to second hand smoke, I'm still lumped into a category with those who aren't as respectful of other's choices as I am. I understand that second hand smoke is bad, and I, as I've said, I go out of my way to make sure I don't expose those to it who don't want to be.

What it ultimately comes down to, no matter how curteous as I am about it, people have a problem with something that I'm doing to my body, willingly. Ugh. It all goes back to my feelings on consensual crime laws. If I do something in a way that doesn't affect anyone else, then I'd really like it if people would just butt out -- pardon the pun.

/rant.

------------------
Tim

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Dude, I have to take issue with you. We are concerned with people who cut. Why should we not be concerned with a person's actions that are probably much more lethal than cutting?

------------------

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 10-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 10-24-2002).]

la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.. I was avoiding this topic as well.

I'm a smoker. I've been smoking for about 2 years now. I'm saying I plan to quit when I graduate (in about 2 years) but that's only a plan.

In response to persons who 'don't understand why you do it:'

It's a good question. And I'm sure that every smoker you ask will have a different story about how they started. Personally, I don't know why I started- I was curious about a lot of things, sex and drugs being only two of them. Anyway, I started smoking. I've smoked about half a pack a day for about a year and a half.

Yes, it causes cancer and it's dirty and it smells and it makes you cough and hack every morning and it will kill you and some smokers are inconsiderate and some smokers litter and on and on and on. Yes, some of these things are true, some of the time. Some of them are true all of the time. We know this.

I get incredibly irritated when people start a moral< crusade against smokers. I know many people do it- non-smokers and ex-smokers. Any yes, you all have good reasons to ask your friends and loved ones to quit. But you don't understand.

When you are addicted to nicotine, which is a drug and which is incredibly addictive, you can wake up in the morning and feel your blood crawl. Have you ever felt your blood crawl? And that crawling, anxious, needing feeling doesn't stop until you have a cigarette. Nicotine is physically and psychologically addictive. Everyone has a different level of tolerance; some people smoke socially, some off-and-on and some chronically. But it is addictive. And unless you've ever battled with an addiction, you really don't have any room to talk about how easy or possible or worthwhile it is to quit the habit.

Should you worry about people who smoke? Sure, that's your choice. Should you bug them about it? Maybe, it depends on how werll they take it. Should you do things like hide cigarettes or rant about how evil smokers are? No.

You are not better than someone who smokes for resisting advertising campaigns or peer pressure. You succumb in other ways. Maybe you shop at the same stores as everyone else (supporting child labor and exploitation of disadvantaged populations.) Maybe you diet (harming your self-image.) Maybe you poke fun at other people (damaging their self-esteem and creating an unjust power imbalance between persons or groups.) Take a good look at the behavior you participate in before you condemn someone for theirs. And that applies to many situations.

Moreover, respect the autonomy and independence of people who smoke. Hold them accountable for their behavior-- tell them to dispose of their butts in the trash or not to blow smoke in your face-- but don't adopted a parental attitude like you know what's good for them. Have enough respect to trust them to make their own choices. Encouragement to quit is constructive, but constant nagging is not.

You can voice your opinion as much as you want. Scientific evidence is out there to support you. And I would think that many people appreciate the fact that you care. But that does not give you the right to attempt to control the way someone lives their life.

/rant

[This message has been edited by la jaunty bohemian (edited 10-23-2002).]

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.