Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Always tired...how do I stop this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Always tired...how do I stop this?
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, let me just give some facts on myself to start. I'll be 17 soon, I'm 5'9", weight about 155 lbs and I'm a little out of shape. I'm also kinda prone to bouts of insomnia, and at any rate I'm not a good sleeper. I usually only get about 5 hours a night, no matter what I try. It always seems like I lose track of time, or I have too many things to do, and of course I have to get up early for school.

Anyway...my problem is that I'd really like to start excercising and getting into shape. But I'm almost ALWAYS exhausted. I mean, after the long school day, I have to take public transportation home, then I have to finish my homework, and I play guitar so I like to practice that for at least 45 minutes to an hour a day. I get home kinda late to begin with, by the time I'm done with all that its usually between 7 and 9 pm. By then I'm sooooooo friggin tired that excercise seems like an impossible proposition.

Now, I know its a vicious cycle, when you excercise you get more energy but in order to excercise you need some energy, and so forth, on and on into infinity. *le sigh* I'd really like any tips anyone has on getting into a healthier swing, getting up your energy, etc etc. I just don't know how I'm gonna ever get in shape at the rate I'm going!

------------------
"We are different kids with the same heartbeat/we got one pulse running through the streets/they are our arteries/I am part of this." -The Distillers-

"I'm alright, I'm gonna make it, even if I gotta fake it..." -Sugarcult-

"If I wanted to drink my own piss, I'd pee in a cup!" -a friend on MGD beer.

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start out really slow, at home, and use a self-reward system. Like, do 5 or 10 sit-ups and don't let yourself practice guitar until you do.

And on weekends, you could start out by planning a walk (if it's nice enough where you are) or do something a little more energetic. See if you can work in one active, fun group activity with friends each weekend or each month, maybe -- go biking, try ice skating or roller blading, go swimming, something like that.

The trick is to start slow so that you DON'T exhaust yourself [ ]

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with Bri, start slow. you said that you take public transportation, so would it be possible to bus part of the way and walk as well? Not all the way, just maybe five or ten extra minutes. You might get home a little later, but you'll have gotten your exercise in.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible for you to get some of your homework out of the way while you're on public transportation, so that you'd have more free time later in the day? Obviously you can't write essays, but you could read or even try to study a bit. Granted, this isn't the best of ideas if you're prone to motion sickness, but it's worth a try.
Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could do a few random things on the train, as far as my homework goes...I sometimes do. But most of my homework consists of writing essays, heh heh, so I can't really get all that much done on the train.

And, jeez, that just reminded me that I left a paper I had to read and write an essay about for English in my locker. GAH! Oh, well, I'm an idiot.

------------------
"We are different kids with the same heartbeat/we got one pulse running through the streets/they are our arteries/I am part of this." -The Distillers-

"I'm alright, I'm gonna make it, even if I gotta fake it..." -Sugarcult-

"If I wanted to drink my own piss, I'd pee in a cup!" -a friend on MGD beer.

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you're proably going to hate this idea, but why not go to sleep early (10 or earlier if possible) and get fully rested. then ... dum de dum dum ... wake up early and take a walk or a light jog. this will help you wake up. nothing like cold morning air to make the air passages feel like they're really working. or if you're indoorsy, situps, pushups or something before you take a shower.

yeah, i kno waking up early sucks, but it does wonders for a person's day. i wake up late, which why i'm so dang cranky.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.