Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pot, and your heart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pot, and your heart
Nemovirginympho
Neophyte
Member # 1208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemovirginympho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine and i were talking recently and he said he had to stop smoking pot recently, he says it's his heart murmmer, i have a heart murmmer as well, how will smoking pot effect my heart, i'm very intrested to know about the effects before i start to do so.
Posts: 16 | From: NYC. NY. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marijuana has a few different properties in different people. Generally, it is a depressant and under broader terms, can be considered a hallucinogen.

With a heart murmur or other cardiac conditions, depressants (including alcohol, sedatives, etc) can really mess with one's heart rate (and blood pressure). In all, it's not the greatest idea to smoke pot if you have heart and/or lung trouble (and imho, not a great idea for anyone to begin with).

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an aqquintence that has severe heart trouble and asthma and still continues to smoke pot. I also have a aqquitence who has an extremely slow heart rate, and has a perscription for a sort of pot to keep his heart rate up. I believe it increases heart rate. I'm not totally sure, so don't quote me on that.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittied Fool
Neophyte
Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittied Fool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's illegal, it's hard to get good studies on it, BUT, from something I read once, that I absorbed, stored, and am probably mutilating: it has the same principle as asprin, in that it thins the blood... hence it's use to relieve headaches... supposedly. Anyhow, it would make sense, then that it would be good for a slow heartbeat. The thinner the blood, the easier it is to pump.

I don't know about heart murmurs, though. I'd imagine the thinned blood could make the murmur... worse... just because it sounds that way in my head.

------------------
Mr. T Pitties Me

Posts: 32 | From: Okla Homie | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of something...before it was illegal, wasn't it used by cancer patients to relieve symptoms of the cancer? like headaches and pains and such?

Smoking pot is all around a bad idea. Lung cancer from the smoke, hastend dead brain cells, it can get you in a LOT of trouble, plus you look like an idiot when you are high. When used sparingly though, it does have proven medical benifits.

I found an article online about how drivers who smoke pot are better drivers, simply because they are paranoid. It was conducted by the british. hehe. Go figure.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right ... marijuana was used for cancer patients that are taking chemo at the same time. It helps them by making them hungry so they can eat and makes some of the pains go away so they can sleep. I think of it in that way as medicine ... the only way it should be used. I guess i'm kind of biased because my mom used it
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.