Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bag the brown bag......... ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bag the brown bag......... ?
angelaisme
Neophyte
Member # 4625

Icon 5 posted      Profile for angelaisme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK- my cafeteria food for lunch SUCKS! Its gross & so expensive & the lines are so long you dont have enough time to eat after you get out. So i tried sandwiches. The bread would stick to the top of my mouth & i hate that especially at lunch with everyone around you & your like uh uh trying to pry bread off the roof of your mouth with your tongue I tried to toast it so maybe it wouldnt stick, but it got all soggy by the time i had lunch (more then 3 hours into school). I found this article in Seventeen about new stuff to take for lunch & i was like yay! just what im looking for, but i only liked one (the Lost Dog Cafe's Big Dog Sandwich) with pita bread and everything. Anyways my point is does anyone have new lunch ideas like the pita sandwich? I figured i could change the meat in the pita sandwich but that'll get old fast! Ive taken salad to school, tuna casserole, those little lunch kits with crackers & ham & cheese & that kind of stuff and i didnt really like it. I need stuff thats not expensive to make, lasts for 3 or so hours without heating or anything, and tastes good! PLEASE help me!

------------------
-Angela

Posts: 25 | From: Ft Worth, TX | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you make chicken cutlet for dinner they can be delicious cold as lunch the next day. I eat it wit Motts Apple Sauce that comes in the little tin believe it or not -- really yum.

You could also try packing a fruit salad. Or a salad that won't get soggy - like cold pasta with olives or a cucumber salad.

Fruit bars are a good snack that won't go bad. Bagels can even be good, but you might want to put the cream cheese or butter in a seperate container with a plastic knife.
...Hope this gave you some ideas :-D

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelaisme
Neophyte
Member # 4625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelaisme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, the pasta is a good idea, what do you put with it? just plain pasta & olives from a jar??? I printed your reply out, any other ideas from anyone?
Posts: 25 | From: Ft Worth, TX | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
salad
veggie sticks
a wrap sandwich (tortilla or flat bread, lettuce, dressing, sandwich meat)
a quesadilla (tortilla with melted cheese)
cold pizza
sushi (it's a long shot, but some places have it)
baked potato (bring some fixings)

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I make the cold pasta with olives, feta cheese (it's really salty, so make sure you like that kinda cheese- you could supplement with another cheese) sundried tomato, and a little bit of italian dressing.

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pasta. put the sauce on it while it's hot, then put it in a container. this works best with non-spaghetti pasta shapes. bow ties, etc. just make sure the container doesn't leak.

pasta salad would also work. you put vinaigrette on the pasta (olive oil and a little bit of wine vinegar, plus salt and pepper) and add veggies and capers and olives and things. yum.

peanut butter crackers. yum!

one sandwich that i like is a veggie sandwich on french bread. you put tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, whatever on the bread. (don't toast it first though.) then you put some kind of sauce on the bread. what i have found works best is something called "tapenade." you're going to think this is gross, but it's this paste made out of anchovies, olives and olive oil. it doesn't taste like any of those ingredients though, for some reason. anyway, you can find a recipe for that in a french cookbook, it's not hard to make. then you put it on your sandwich like mayonnaise or mustard or whatever. i promise, it's good.

yogurt. delish and wicked good for you. try the kind that comes with a spoon.

tortellini. they're good plain, and you can pretend they're finger food.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here are some tips for a non soggy sandwich:

1. Dont put mayo or mustard on it.
2. No tomatoes
3. If you want mayo or mustard dont put it directly on the bread, put it between the meat and cheese (or whatever else you put on it)
4. Pack each ingredient seperately and make it at lunch.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I second Gumdrop Girl's tortilla wrap suggestion? Tortillas are really versatile, and the taste and texture are great. To prevent bread-sogginess, you can use day-old bread (it's how the pros do it -- no joke!). Or try a loaf like banana bread, as is, or with a bit of butter.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! yes, banana bread with cream cheese. yum.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say cold pizza. But Gumdrop already said it. Oh well.

This next year, every so often, I'm going to have my parents buy me a whole pizza and then I'll package 2 slices and take 'em for lunch. Cold pizza = yum.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillygirl182
Activist
Member # 2273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillygirl182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really wanna take a sandwich try this...

get a bun and pack it in your lunch... pack all your dressings (Tomato, Lettuce, Meat, Whatever) in a different container (possibly with little pieces of saran wrap or whatever seperating them) and when it's tim eto eat assemble your sandwich! Tah Dah! A soggy free sandwich!

I also had a pasta salad idea but i see many others have already posted it! I just but Zesty Itialian Dressing Celery and Red and green peppers in it! I usually make it the night before so i can refrigerate it and the dressing soaks in! Yummy!

Hope I helped!

------------------
Silly Girl :D

~*A True friend stabs you in thr front...*~

World of a Soggy Froggy

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelaisme
Neophyte
Member # 4625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelaisme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is corn good in that pasta salad?

------------------
-Angela

Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have a VERY bizarre idea which I've actually tried. If you're open-minded and you like cereal, put some dry cereal in a secure plastic bag, get a plastic spoon, and pack it in your lunch. If you can, buy some milk at the cafeteria (they can't really ruin milk!) and pour it in! Be careful not to spill, and eat it out of the bag.

I usually have lots of bizarre brown-bag ideas. I'll let you know if I come up with any more.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

[This message has been edited by Only In Dreams (edited 08-09-2001).]

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only In Dreams - your idea intrigues me. What are some other ones? I may have to try the cereal thing sometime ...
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corn is fabulous in pasta salad! you can get excellent fresh corn this time of year - just cook it, remove it from the cob (take a knife, slide it down the cob away from you, and the corn comes off easily)

I lived on pasta salad in school. I also liked cream cheese and olive sandwiches. Yogurt is also a life saver.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelaisme
Neophyte
Member # 4625

i tried the pasta with italian dressing, olives, cheese & i didnt really like it. maybe i put in too much of something. the banana bread & cream cheese sounds good, i might try that, but it probably wont fill me up. Thanks for all the help!

------------------
-Angela

Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to bump this topic up again. For three weeks or so, there will be times when I need to pack both lunch and dinner. I currently only have tupperware and I'll have no access to a refrigerator or a microwave. Any suggestions for food to bring? I've been looking through past ST posts for recipes...the lack of anything but tupperware makes it tough. Sandwiches and bagels are good and all, but I'd like to have what I consider "real food" (cooked food) for a microwave. Suggestions? I was thinking of making a rice dish of some sort, hmm....

What are your thoughts on putting soup-like stuff in a thermos? I've never tried it (nor do I have one right now), but I have visions of spilling hot soup all over myself or something similar...

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
--Goethe

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an excellent article on packing your own lunch, from the brilliant site Getcrafty.com.

Hope it's helpful to any lunch packers out there!

------------------
What is this life, so full of care, we have no time to stop and stare...

Read my diary-what fun you'll have

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashy:
What are your thoughts on putting soup-like stuff in a thermos? I've never tried it (nor do I have one right now), but I have visions of spilling hot soup all over myself or something similar...

When I had a very early class a few years ago, I used to bring soup in a thermos every morning. It worked really well. I'm not the most graceful human on the planet, but I never once spilled it

One word of caution, learned from experience: if you use instant powdered soup (e.g. Lipton Cup-a-Soup), shake it *very* well before you open the thermos. Instant cream soups do not travel well; the powder tends to form icky lumps. If you must have noodle soup, bring a spoon to fish the noodles out of the bottom of the thermos.

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

ooh! ooh! get instant miso soup! it's a nice change of pace for when you get sick of ring noodles, and it's yummy. it's easy to make, too - all you need is boiling/hot water. i have fancy stuff from an asian food store, but you can get it at natural food stores also.

em

Lilfran14
Activist
Member # 6858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilfran14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i use to bye lunch until when i sat down to eat it the bell rang, so it was worthless. But i usually bring like a banada or orange and it never spoils, and yogurt or fruit bars work excellent! Also if u dont want ur bread to get soggy then use a roll and soem cole cuts, it works wonders!!

------------------
~*Katie Frances*~
"No i dont want to meet ur friends,
and i dont want to start over again
i just want my life to be the same just like it
use to be"

"In the land of the free, home of the brave, why is it that i still feel like a slave.?"

Posts: 183 | From: Buffalo, NY :) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm cold pizza... :9

------------------
Don't Mess With Texas.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty pryde
Neophyte
Member # 6193

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kitty pryde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashy:

The best thing you can *possibly* have after being outside on a cold day is a thermos full of good chili. Trust me on this.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ashy,

I'm a big fan of hot soup, and I've used a thermos to carry it before. Problem is, it tends not to stay real hot, so you would really need a microwave to heat it up...

Here's a favorites of mine - these are just basic directions, 'cause I'm a cook at heart, which means I never measure anything However, this will give you a basic idea of how to put a few things together:

Chicken and Wild Rice Salad:

find a brand of wild rice (or a wild rice blend - that always makes it interesting) that you like. Cook it according to the directions so you get a yield of about 1 cup. Meanwhile, cook a chicken breast (boil, bake, grill, or saute) and let it cool. Dice roughly. Then, cut up some veggies you like; try cherry tomatoes, finely chopped zucchini, green onion or sweet vidalia onion, raw or roasted red, yellow, orange or green peppers, etc. Then, add a fruit item; raisins are good, as are mandarin oranges, or any diced, dried fruit like apricots. add almonds or pecans, if you like them. Mix the whole lot together, and add some extra virgin olive oil and basalmic vinegar, or mix in a pre-made salad dressing you like, then chill. viola! Wild rice is great, as is brown rice, because it is very filling and healthy!

You can also make it veggie, if you desire, or use whole wheat pasta instead of rice.

A balanced meal in a dish! yummy yum.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.