Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » food

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: food
stella
Neophyte
Member # 1863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past half a year I think, I have been getting really queasy after I eat certain things. Its usually things like those hostess marshmallow cupcakes or things with a weird consistency or texture... usually it happens with sugary foods but sometimes with streachy gooey cheese or even milk, which I love! It is so weird. I would think it had something to do with sugar, but if I eat chocolate or hard candy it doesnt happen.

Today I ate a hostess snowball, and about an hour later I started thinking about it and almost threw up. This happens all the time, but I never actually throw up. But, today I came the closest I ever have, and the whole thing is just gradually getting worse.

I want to know if anyone knows if this could be some kind of disorder, or do you think that I just get sick when I think about the texture of certain foods? Should I see the doctor? Maybe I just have a weak stomach.. well, it would really help to have a response. Thanks!!

Posts: 1 | From: oregon | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your response could be from many things. It is good to start noticing the effect of the food we eat. Process, packaged foods like hostess cupcakes are loaded with chemcial preservatives, food additives etc. The food industry insists that this is all 'safe' But our bodies may thin otherwise. Try eating as much natural, organic and unprocessed foods as you can and see if that makes a difference.

You also might want to try cutting out all milk products for a while, just to see, Many people have adverse reactions to milk and milk byproducts are ubiquitous in processed food (Did you know that some hams have milk serum in them?). Anyway, you might want to zero in on the things that make you feel bad and avoid them.

A doctor would probably give you a battery of food allergy tests, which might be a good idea as well.

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, it sounds like it could be a few things hun ...

You could be lactose intolerant. Which would explain why you can't eat cheese and milk and other dairy stuff ...

But it could also be psychosamatic (sp?) ... meaning that if you think you should be sick from it, you will be. The part where you said you weren't sick until an hour later when you thought about it ... ?? It's alright though. It's mind over matter, and osmetimes our mind plays games w/ the rest of our bodies.

I would suggest going to the doc tho. They can figure out what is wrong ... through allergy tests and all that stuff (it's basiclly like acupuncture, kinda cool actually hehe)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't eat processed packaged foods for that reason, they make me sick.....just thinking about packaged food makes me gag! I mostly eat things I can make myself, natural food, and it's a lot easier on my stomach. I eat a lot of rice too, it is very kind to my stomach. Also try cutting out the foods you think are making you sick and replace them with something like fruit or veggies and see if you feel better after you eat.

I'm also lactose intolerant and sometimes if I drink milk or cheese I get very sick to my stomach. I also LOVE milk and cheese, so sometimes I'll have them anyway, but in smaller amounts! There's also milk made for lactose intolerant people, so check that out.

I'd talk to your doctor about it at your next appointment or make an appointment if it's really bothering you. Doctors are pretty good at figuring things like this out!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw the words Hostess marshmallow cupcake my stomach turned from just reading them. I'm with Ron. Less processed foods are gereally better for your over all health and can be much easier to digest than "junk" food.

They also do more for your body than the highly processed sugary, fatty foods which are filled with empty calories (meaning they don't have any nutritional value).

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but, in defense of stella, I have to say that once in a while you *hafta* eat a twinkie or a snowball or a ho-ho or a ding-dong. ;]

no sexual puns blatantly intended.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that feeling. Sometimes, I cannot be anywhere near meat-products or i will get sick. and i'm nothing near a vegetarian.

That's just your body's way of telling you that you're sick of eating those sorts of things for the time being. Have an apple instead.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, this may not be the case for you but this is exactly what happened to me before i started developing my anxiety disorder. when i would eat certain things, i would think about it and start to feel sick, like i was about to throw up. soon it got to be that i was worried if i ate ANYTHING i would throw up (although i never actually threw up) I never ate in front of people, and if i did a few moments later all i could worry about was getting sick. This was my anxiety: the fear of getting sick, without ever actually facing the repurcussions. Of course, you might really have a problem with that particular food, but i just wanted to tell you what happened to me so you can determine the difference between a real physical nauseousnes or just the anxiety of feeling it.

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a clarification. Lactose is only found in milk. In cheese, yoghurt, etc. it has broken down. If you react to those things it is not lactose intolerance, it is either due to allergies to oneor more of milk's many proteins or a reaction to hormones, antibiotics, pesticides and other impurities which abound (alas) in modern industrialized milk.

The folks who wrote "Fit for Life" (definitely worth reading even if one can't agree with everything) are really down on milk, saying that pasteurization and other modern processing turns it into poison.

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.