Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Motivation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Motivation
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know that there are days where you just don't want to go to the gym/the game/the class, you just want to lie in a hot bath with a pint of Ben and Jerry's, so what makes you go? What keeps you motivated? When you feel like you're about to die and your muscles will explode from the effort, what do you think about to give it 110%?

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

[This message has been edited by Pixie69 (edited 06-15-2001).]

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
repeat after me: it will all be over soon. it doesn't hurt *that* badly

i am not kidding. this is my mantra.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, Pixie, I was going to come here and start the same topic.

Personally, I need to start exercising more. I currently walk to and from work 3-4 days a week, which is enough to stop my muscles atrophying, but I need to get fit because not only is it healthy and for my swordfighting, but when I'm fit, my period pain is far less severe. But whenever I have time to exercise, I always find that I have something I'd rather be doing- whether it be reading, lying in bed or doing uni work. So how do I get over that hump?

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a work out buddy, Tina, and that helps me to stay motivated. We drag each other to the Gym. Unless we both bail out, such as today (even though my waiting for the stupid guy who should repair my water thing is a valid excuse).
Usually, reminding myself how great I will feel afterwards is good enough. Or I use a similar mantra to what Gummy uses. And *feeling* better shape helps to motivate me, too.

I try to vary my workout and mainly do things that I enjoy. I prefer group settings that do not involve choreography, and that works for me, too. Something like BodyPump helps me to see my own improvement very quickly, and that always gives me a boost.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My body responds really quickly to dieting and muscle toning exercises, as well as cardiovascualr stuff, so I find that my motivation is the shape I'm in. I'm like, "Hey, I look pretty good! I want to stay this way! Maybe I can lift another 10 lbs. while I'm at it too! Or run another 2 miles!" :-) I'm a fitness ADDICT. It's sick.

------------------
"Those who don't got it, can't show it. And those who got it, can't hide it."

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been here in forever (i.e. one week). I offer a great big hello to everyone, and I'm sorry to say that I can't stay long because finals beckon My teachers have decided to try a "less structured" approach to year-end testing this year, which means I am inundated with essays and...umm...creative projects. After weighing the pros and cons of these finals for hours (one of my preferred methods of procrastination), I have decided that I would prefer good old nerveracking tests after all. But as Gummy says, it will all be over soon.

When I'm lucky enough to exercise at home, I turn on the television or stereo to help me through the work. Some advertisement for "Tomb Raider" will invariably appear on the TV screen. And then I think of all the exercise Angelina Jolie--a woman who is, after all, an actress and not an athlete--had to go through to play her role. Other ther random motivational things appear during my workouts, and they help me through the...*ahem*...fun.

When I exercise outside the house, I try to keep my mind on the positive things that happened throughout the day. Who wants to experience the mental strain of a bad memory and the physical pain of a really tough practice/workout at the same time? Not me.

And speaking of mental strain, I believe I'll get back to my work now

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I really hate going to do any form of exercise, the one thing that motivates me to go take a run or drag myself down to the gym occasionally is knowing how good I will feel after that.

Nothing is better than the feeling you get after a run. You feel all relaxed, cool and healthy.

Previously, I had my bf who would go with me to the gym and we would have alot of fun there together but now that we have broken up, it's back to psyching myself mentally.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get myself motivated? I usually just remind myself that if I don't go work out/run/to TKD class, I'll be kicking myself in the butt for the rest of the week. It usually gets me going, and once I'm out the door I'm motivated enough just by the people around me; I'm very competitive.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually my motivation is that I do something I love to do, like ballet or jazz. I love it, I live for it, and I didn't mind even getting up after two hours of sleep and dragging my behind to class.

Unfortunatly, due to circumstances beyond my control I'm out of it until September. So I started running with my dad (did I mention my dad is 42 and ran his first marathon last year?), and I hate it. So what do I do? I think of sex of course. Quite seriously, I fantasize and then I think to myself "now imagine if there was a mirror there, do you really want so-and-so to see your butt in that position? no? I didn't think so, KEEP RUNNING!". Haha. It actually works.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I really don't want to excersize, I just don't. I feel no need to force myself when I'm not in the mood to do it. However, I do karate at least once a week for two hours and I absolutely love it. I've never once not wanted to go to my karate class. When I was in a dreadful PE class at school, we had to go to the Y and work out for 1/2 hour. So I just went on the bike machine, and did the same thing Pixie does. Sorta. I would visualize someone who is really hot standing across the room from me completely naked (or wearing something sexier than naked) and beckoning to me. And I pretended that if I just kept pedalling harder and faster that I would eventually get to this imaginary person across the room from me and we'd get to have sex at that point. But I often use fantasy to get through school. Like really boring classes, I just sit there and fantasize. And English too, but it's my favorite class. I've just had an absolutely HUGE crush on my English teacher for a long time. She's really hot. Makes me pay attention

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been overweight since I was about 3. My motivation is to know that one day, if I keep exercising and avoiding unhealthy foods, I will be able to walk into a store and not worry about what will fit me... I will be worrying about the style, color, texture, ect. That will be the best feeling in the world... knowing I can fit anything in the store!!! I also want to be thin before my junior prom, which is in less than 2 years... I wanna look good in my prom dress!!!

------------------
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.

~*s h a n n a*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey justagal, I hope you don't want to be "thin" but rather healthy instead eh?
And people can be healthy at a wide range of sizes.

In general, people, this week, I have discovered the perfect motivation to hit the gym every morning:

Imagine you can't shower at your place or better yet, have the hot water turned off in your flat. And you can only get a hot shower at the gym, after a work out.

Works well.

My hot water thing is broken (and will be till Friday)....so every morning, I drag my stinky, bed-headed self there. And work out. And then shower. My hate for cold showers (at my place) is a good motivation, I swear.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I just go and do it. I just put my shoes on and get to it somehow. *shrug*

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do Tae Kwon Do, and my focus is on getting my black belt. There are times I just want to stay at home, and NOT get kicked in the gut (tee hee) but I'm soooooo close, only 2 more belts to go.
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixie69:
When you feel like you're about to die and your muscles will explode from the effort, what do you think about to give it 110%?

I always know how good exercise makes you feel afterwards (a natural high!) - and it is that that keeps me going. That, and I have always done a lot of running, so it getting the minimum amount of exercise for me doesn't mean doing so much that I feel like I want to die...

It really, truly does get better with time, so if you are in that rut, stick in there!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, i love the way i feel after i lift weights (i'm actually using my gym membership. it's great!). i'm a little tired, but I'm so pumped up, I feel as if I could rip a man's head off his shoulders with my ankles. *grunts like a neanderthal* must be the testosterone.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilikus
Neophyte
Member # 10864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilikus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the best motivation in alot of situations is music. Of course depends on what your gonna do. Sounds kinda bad but if i really want to work hard etc i try to get mad, maybe think of past gf's or maybe something painful and i basically go into a rage on the raquetball court, hah! Then again if your feling stressed a song can also relax, or help you feel better (ex. tom jones - its not unusual)...bam

------------------
~The problem is only what it makes you~

Quote from BruinDan - Scarleteen Advocate:
To be frank, who cares? Contrary to popular belief (and popular teen movies), life ain't The Dating Game...and going for a while without a mate doth not Armageddon bring.

Posts: 20 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hilikus:
Sounds kinda bad but if i really want to work hard etc i try to get mad ... and i basically go into a rage

Well, to each their own. Just as long as you are able to control it, and not let any negative feelings which you may dredge up spill over into your everyday life.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im definatly needing some motivation, and extra boosts of energy. Id love to join a gym, but i havent the money to do so. I thought having a job and having something to get up for would help, but that didnt work out, cause my mom needed me here. I have to wait untill March when i have my own car and can find a good job...but what do i do untill then?...yeah i sometimes do basic exersises, most from what ive gathered from magazines, and i thought about getting yoga on tape...so i guess all i can do is, exersise, and improve dieting, is there anything else for that boost i need?...does anyone have a exersise routine or system that is working for you?
thanx

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gaea
Neophyte
Member # 10970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gaea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for yoga! It was difficult for me at first, but after the first few sessions I felt so good that I didn't need any other motivation. It's something I look forward to rather than dread. It's addictive!
Posts: 9 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Layra
Activist
Member # 8047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Layra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've passed throught that, sometimes i don't want to leave my home just to go to classes or to the gym, and i only think : "you have to go!!!!!" and even in the way to that place, i want to go back to home. But when i reach the gym or the classes all my tireness goes away because i see my friends, and i just start talking with them . That's the only way i don't get tired, forcing myself to do it.
Posts: 89 | From: San JOSe, Costa Rica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Bramble*
Neophyte
Member # 37018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Bramble*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm. I'm needing a little motivation myself at the moment lol. I'm not gonna bother y'all with my story, but I think my personal motivation would be the cute black and pink corset and cheeky short set from Torrid.com I found. It's just so cute and I want to look good in it! lol. As far as what I think works for me. Hmmm....Yoga, Weight Lifting,Swimming, and BellyDancing ^__^. Hope this helps some of ya!

--------------------
Love me or Hate me, I'm an addiction you'll never forget

Posts: 6 | From: Memphis,TN | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha ... as sad as this is going to sound - I actually use the gym as an excuse to get away from homework! I'm an Ed major, and we always have a constant flow of things to do. If it's not studying for tests or doing written work, it's something for a club or organization. I go to the gym everyday now for at least 1 hour (3 days a week I for 2.5 hours so I can swim, workout and shower) just to get my mind off of the constant work.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Bramble*
Neophyte
Member # 37018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Bramble*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with that Stephanie. If my pool wasn't having issue at the moment. I'd be in it right now. Water = good stress relief.

--------------------
Love me or Hate me, I'm an addiction you'll never forget

Posts: 6 | From: Memphis,TN | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.