Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Excercise, muscles, & burning fat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excercise, muscles, & burning fat
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you probably remember, I posted on here a while back about eating and calories and stuff. Well *now*, I'm asking about exercise. My question is: Are there certain types of exercises which burn fat but do not build up your muscles (like make your legs look like athlete legs)? I do a stationary exercise bike every day to help in my weight loss plan and I was wondering if that will make my legs look all muscle-y (I don't want it to, I just want it to burn the fat). Thanks!

P.S. I've already lost 14 lbs. w/ my food plan..and no I'm not starving myself, I'm just eating very healthily. I'm down to 122 lbs!

P.P.S. As for the lumps in my neck thing..I'm still hanging on and desperately trying not to worry.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you need to tell me your diet plan!!!!!

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind that lean muscle is what replaces fat. If you want to lose fat, you're going to gain muslce.

(By the way, I naturally have very muscluar legs, and I think they kick butt. Well, they DO kick butt!)

In any event, if you want to keep the muscle building all over your body more generally, whole-body exercise like swimming, rowing, pilates, yoga, and even walking is your best bet.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unhappykoger,
Ya wanted to know my plan, here it is: (I've been doing it for over 2 months)

*I eat a small bowl of rice checks (cereal) with lactose intolerant milk for breakfast (i'm allergic to milk)

*For lunch I have an apple, a can of light peaches, and some baby carrots that i dip in fat-free ranch dressing..oh and some water

*For dinner I have whatever my mom is cooking

*For snacks I usually have fruit or a slice of fat free pound cake (my fave)

*For exercising..I don't do that much. Like I said, I do the exercise bike 3 times a week, and I do crunches every night.

There ya go

------------------

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_teardrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
congratulations!

[This message has been edited by beautiful_teardrop (edited 02-08-2001).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Ashley,
What is your height and frame size out of curiosity?

I also have lost a few lbs, 8 to be exact. For me it is going unbearably slow.

Here is a hint i learned when i had a sore throat. drink lots and lots of water. i lost weight really fast that week and i was constantly drinking water to sooth my throat.

And i excercise every once and a while, it always helps.

Hint for the excercise bike, use it for a long time but go slower. The harder you ride the more it works the muscles, and the more tired you get. This burns less carbs. The longer you ride the more you will burn.

And just as long as you eat more then 800 calories a day its all good.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Etch, my height is 5 feet 2 inches, and I don't really know how to determine my frame. I'm not really small and tiny (think Christina Aguilera), I'm more in the middle..average type, ya know?

------------------

CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I read (to determine your frame): Take your middle finger and thumb and wrap it around your wrist. If it overlaps, you have a small frame. If it simply touches, you have a medium frame. If they don't touch, you have a large frame. (According to this method, I have a medium frame) Again, I don't know if this information is accurate, it's just what I've heard.

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Hmm according to that method..I'm a small frame. I don't really think that's true though, cuz I really do look like a medium frame (Like I said, Miss Aguilera is a small frame, and I'm not nearly as small as her). But my pinkie & thumb *do* overlap..hmm..

------------------

Shadow Stalker
Activist
Member # 2516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Stalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, unless you really over do the excercise you don't have to worry too much about getting all muscly. I say this because in general women's bodies don't produce muscle as fast as men's.

That's interesting about the frame thing... Though I think it's more to do with thin bones rather than lack of muscle.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.