Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Cold sores.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold sores.
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. Cold sores suck. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get rid of them as fast as possible? Currently, I'm just taking a lot of lysine and vitamin C (I heard somewhere vitamin c is good for cold sores?)
Also, If I have a cold sore, and I kiss someone who doesn't have the herpes simplex whatever virus, will they contract it from me? If so, can they only contract it while I have a cold sore, and not when I'm not having any flare ups?

(these are cold sores around my mouth, by the way, not genital herpes)

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if someone has contact with one of your sores (or with something else that has had contact with your sores), they can get Herpes from you. They are also at just as much risk right before you get a sore. Both those times present high risks.

A risk is still possibly present when you have no sores at all, but is understood to be much smaller.

Have you spoken with your doctor about this, or considered using suppressive medications for herpes?

By all means, doing what you can to pump up your immune system should help them go buh-bye faster, and lysine has been shown to help. But if you find you're having outbreaks frequently, it's something you probably want to discuss with your healthcare provider.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had an outbreak in a while, actually, I've just been eating a lot more chocolate and peanut butter lately and that usually does me in.
I think I'm gonna avoid grains for a few days, and eat immune system building foods.. What kinds of foods help? (I'm vegan, and that kind of lessens the options..)
Thanks for the response!

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings fellow vegan. [Smile]

In terms of lysine, nuts do pretty well by that, and seeds (like sesame and pumpkin) are really awesome in that department. Sea vegetables, too, have recently been studied for how they can help with herpes symptoms (in both eating them and placing them on sores themselves). Since all of those things are good for you regardless -- and if you're vegan, are probably already parts of your diet -- it sure can't hurt to try! I'd also be sure you're getting enough zinc, which is a huge immune system booster, and can sometimes be tough to get enough of in a vegan diet (but greens and seeds are good for that, too).

But ultimately, I'd talk to a doctor or nutritionist for more info.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! It was really helpful.
Last question, I swear.. Soy. Is it bad for cold sores? Good? Should I be staying away from tofu?

--------------------
- banksy

Heather
Member # 3

My impression is that it's neutral, but it's another thing I'd double-check with a nutritionist.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.