Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Does height matter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does height matter?
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 15 years old and I am 5'8". I know, that's really tall. Or, at least that's how I feel. Which brings me to this topic (which I guess you can consider a relationship question-- although I fell that this has to do more with body and soul): Does height matter when you're in a relationship? What if your partner is shorter than you, is that weird? I was just wondering. Any and all reponses are welcome.

See you all very soon,
Lauren

[ 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: LBelle22 ]

Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it really matters much. If it's a big height difference, it certainly may make the logistics of things awkward, but people adapt. I know a couple where the wife is a couple of feet taller than her husband, and she always tells me that it took a while for her husband to get over being the short one when they first started dating, but now they have no troubles at all.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unless people only date people EXACTLY their same height, someone is always going to be shorter and someone else will always be taller! [Smile]

And since most of us see people all around us every day who are both taller and shorter -- not even most, really, all but the very tallest person alive and the very shortest, really -- it's hardly weird, no?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penwords
Neophyte
Member # 34602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penwords     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At fifteen I was (and still am) 5' 10", which is right around male average. Consequently, I can expect to be taller than about half the boys I meet.

Have I ever dated someone who was shorter than me? Not yet. Would I? Probably.

While I'm attracted to tall guys, it isn't a a huge deciding factor for me. My last boyfriend was just barely an inch taller than me, and when I had my favorite boots on, I was a good inch and a half to two inches taller than him. At first I felt like a bit of an Amazon, but he didn't mind (lots of guys don't) and all we had to do was sit down and *poof* we were the same hieght again. Being taller than him was kind of fun. It meant I could drape my arms around his shoulders and sort of lounge on him if we were waiting in line or something and it made leaping up for piggy backs way easy.

If it really bothers you, remember that there are lots of tall guys out there too. If half the guys you meet are shorter than you, that just means that the other half will be taller.

Posts: 24 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Height should matter to a person as much as hair color does. By that, I mean height and hair color are genetic traits we have no control over, and we will have opinions of them that are personal and completely arbitrary. We can't tell you how to feel about it. If you like guys who are shorter than you, great. If you like guys with red hair, great. If you prefer one thing over another, that's up to you.

But it's NOT right for any of us to say that just because you're tall, you must date someone who is taller than you. that's bollocks.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.