Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Your Guide to Everything Stretch Marks!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Guide to Everything Stretch Marks!
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 10 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every month or so we seem to get a new topic asking about stretch marks! And really, the answer to people's problems never changes, so I figured, why not give everyone a one-shop-stop to all their stretch mark needs?

What are Stretch Marks?
Stretch Marks, also known in the dermatological world as striae, are, simply put, lines that appear on your body - usually purple or red in color when they first appear, and which gradually turn to a more silvery-white color over time.

They occur in the dermis, which is the middle layer of our skin - it's the elastic part of our skin that allows it to retain its shape even though we move and stretch and grow.

Why do stretch marks occur?
Stretch marks occur when the dermis, that stretcy layer of skin, is stretched rapidly or overstretched, and the resulting effect is these scar lines.

Stretch marks can be caused from a number of things, including the following:
Pregnancy
Weight gain (often related to natural weight gain during puberty, as a person's body is maturing)
Growth/height change
Muscle gain

Are stretch marks bad for me or my skin?
Not in the slightest! Stretch marks do not negatively affect the way your body and skin work or heal

I have stretch marks on my stomach/breasts/thighs/back/legs/etc. is that normal?
Yep! Pretty much anywhere you can grow, you can get stretch marks. Different people have stretch marks in different areas, based on where their bodies experienced change to cause them - for example, a person who went through a quick growth spurt when they were younger could possibly have stretch marks on their legs; a woman who experienced breast growth during puberty or pregnancy could have stretch marks on their breasts; a person who is doing a lot of weight training could experience stretch marks in the areas where their bodies are building muscle.

Who has stretch marks?
Everybody! Well, close enough to everybody can have stretch marks: tall people, short people, lean people, curvy people, muscular people, younger people, older people, everybody!

Will my stretch marks ever go away?
Well, not really. Like most scarring, stretch marks are permanent marks on the skin. However, like a lot of scarring, many people notice that stretch marks can fade over time, as long as you keep your skin and body healthy.

What can I do about my stretch marks?
The easiest, most cost effective thing to do? Learn to love them, or at least not pay them any mind.

There really is no "cure" or "remedy" for stretch marks, and there's really no reaosn there needs to be!

There are a few easy, healthy things you can do to help reduce the appearance of stretch marks, or help prevent them in the future (note that not all of these are guranteed to work for everybody), these include the following:

1. Keep your skin nourished and healthy!
Healthy skin can heal more quickly and is less likely to experience damage - to keep your skin healthy, it is important to keep your body healthy, as well. So drink plenty of water, and get your proper nutrients. Also, keeping your skin moisturized is a great way to keep it happy.

Some people recomend cocoa butter, some vitamin E or aloe, others just like a good lotion.

2. Use sunscreen, seriously!
UV rays are incredibly harmful to your skin, and exposure to the sun can damager your skin severely, as you all may well know.

Tanning or suburns can often make skin troubles much worse, and tanning, especially, can make natural pigment alterations on your skin (such as stretch marks and other scarring) all the more visable.

But what about those creams they advertise on TV, or what about surgery?
Honestly? Most of the creams they sell, avertised to help reduce stretch marks, work just the same as any good lotion might. One of the main differences between a regular moisturizing lotion and the creams they advertise is that the creams may contain collagen or elastin, to try and mimic or replace the natural pcollage and elastin protiens already in our skin (those two are some of the things in our skin responsible for its elasticity).

And surgery? We're talking a LOT of money for a potentially painful treatment which could cause a lot more harm than good! Plastic surgeons and dermatologists are advertising everything from laser treatments to chemcial peels to "get rid of stretch marks" - but those procedures can leave your body worse for the wear if you don't react well or follow exact aftercare procedures, and is it really worth all that money (and it's a LOT, remember - insurance doesn't cover for unnecssary, cosmetic procedures) and stress and potential damage just for a few natural, unharmful lines?

I think that just about covers it! If you think I'm forgetting anything, let me know! [Smile]

[ 05-17-2007, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Jean! Thanks for writing this up! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatlegirl
Neophyte
Member # 33901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beatlegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yes, I feel *much* better because of the way that I look at stretch marks differently now.

I hope everyone else gets to understand why the scars are there, so they can find them normal!

--------------------
^_^

Posts: 4 | From: pepperland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuNnY
Activist
Member # 33753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuNnY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had stretch marks for a while and i always wondered why...i didnt realise you could get them from muscle growth, thanks for filling me in [Smile]

i find the best way to deal with stretch makrs and assisnt in them fading is just using cocoa butter cream...from the body shop or even cheap stuff from the super market...and the best part about it is u smell like chocolate haha [Smile]

--------------------
A day without laughter is a day wasted :)

Posts: 40 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyciol
Neophyte
Member # 29113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyciol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good but... is it true? To say that scars like stretch marks "do not negatively affect the way your body and skin work or heal"?

It just seems wrong. I mean, in theory, if you got an excessive amount of scarring, your skin would be compromised. If your skin was nothing BUT stretchmarks, wouldn't that interfere with it's elasticity, ability to adapt, and ability to heal?

It's more accurate to say 'its very minor in usual amounts'. Scars are injuries after all and we're not born with them.

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stretch marks are a naturally occurring phenomena nearly everyone gets. They form when the middle layer of skin is stretched beyond its normal capacity, most often in places where fast growth occurs, such as the breasts, hips, thighs, and pregnant tummies. The scarring is a result of interference with the production of collagen; decreased levels of collagen also lead to wrinkles, for example.

Stretch marks have no effect on the way skin moves or heals. All available medical treatments work to reduce the appearance rather than remove the scars and repair the skin; the fact no medical treatment is available shows it's purely a cosmetic issue.

I'd love to review your sources, though, that say stretch marks interfere with normal function. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could exercising help a teen's skin in the breast and hip/butt/thigh area "tighten up" and help reduce, if not erase the appearance of stretch marks? It's just really difficult when I can't wear normal bathing suits because I don't want people to see them, you know?

Please help! [Big Grin]

--------------------
break down, rebuild, repeat.

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope- exercise does not effect the skin, just the muscles underneath. The tips on skin care above are the only things you can really do!

(And actually, some people find that working out and gaining muscle actually causes MORE stretch marks in the areas that are being built up!)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccerjen2927
Neophyte
Member # 23591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccerjen2927     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks-this post really helped me a lot!

(And I have personally gained stretch marks from playing high school soccer)

Posts: 13 | From: United States, Tennessee | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morbidmacabre
Neophyte
Member # 34859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morbidmacabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While pregnant, can the consistent use of a good lotion prevent severely visible stretch marks?
Posts: 9 | From: virginia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many women find that by keeping the skin well moisturized during pregnancy, they can help prevent some worse stretch marks as the skin over the stomach stretches. So yes, it definitely can help. It won't work for everyone, but well moisturized skin certainly wouldn't make things worse, even if it didn't work in preventing them. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fleurdelys
Neophyte
Member # 35232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fleurdelys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had these marks on my breasts since puberty, and I never was really sure what they were. . . I mean I suspected they very well might be stretch marks, but to me stretch marks was something that only pregnant woman could have. Thanks for clarifying that it's normal for me to have these!
Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have stretchmarks on my hips & thighs. I have never been really bothered about them, I think because the ponly time I expose these places in public is when I'm swimming, and then I take off my glasses, so I can't see them!

But I saw some programme that dealt with them awesomely I thought:
"They're just STRIPES! Imagine if zebras wanted to cover up cos they're stripy!"

So I'm going to try to extend this philosophy to all my pimples and scars. From now on they are decorative/camouflaging spots. [Smile]

Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star07
Neophyte
Member # 39127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got them really bad on my thighs when i hit puberty because i grew 6 inches/gained 25 pounds in less than a year....
i still feel really uncomfortable about them but i realize now that so many people have them that i dont mind if people see.

Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Independence_Day
Neophyte
Member # 39211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Independence_Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by footy_chick:
I have had stretch marks for a while and i always wondered why...i didnt realise you could get them from muscle growth, thanks for filling me in [Smile]

Ya, I didn't know either. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by rosegeranium:
But I saw some programme that dealt with them awesomely I thought:
"They're just STRIPES! Imagine if zebras wanted to cover up cos they're stripy!"

So I'm going to try to extend this philosophy to all my pimples and scars. From now on they are decorative/camouflaging spots. [Smile]

I love that!

--------------------
I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as h*** don’t deserve me at my best. --Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 13 | From: The Capitol of Creepatopia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XSugarXhookerX
Activist
Member # 39707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XSugarXhookerX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question. I have alot of strecth marks and you said that there is no way to get rid of them.

are you sure?

because I really don't like them and would like to get rid off them.

Would losing wieght help??

cuz Thats what I have heard

Posts: 77 | From: Lovers lane | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lindyswinggirl
Neophyte
Member # 34620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lindyswinggirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

If it helps anyone out, my ex boyfriend actually thought stretch marks were pretty sexy cause he felt they were more realistic!!

:-)

Posts: 6 | From: somewhere in the Big Ten | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugars
Neophyte
Member # 27302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sugars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend loves my stretch marks. He thinks they look nifty. When we cuddle, he likes to trace little patterns with them. So stretch marks have not hindered out relationship at all, and have perhaps enhanced it.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dinosaurexx
Neophyte
Member # 40686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dinosaurexx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive always been realy embarassed of mine [Frown]

ive had them on my legs and my hips since i was 13 and have always hated them.

but thanks i didnt know it was natural to have them.
i always just thought i was a freak [Razz]

now i feel much better [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whafu
Neophyte
Member # 40743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to know something about something that i didn't even know! thanks for the information.
Posts: 7 | From: Philippines | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreversmiling
Neophyte
Member # 40748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreversmiling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! When I went through puberty I began getting stretch marks on my stomache and started to gain wait [Mad]

But can Vitamin E help heal them?

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated in the first post, nothing really heals stretch marks. They can fade over time and keeping your skin healthy and moisturized can make them less visible, but our stretch marks are part of us just like scars and freckles.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eternal-moonlight
Neophyte
Member # 42864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternal-moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the uk, there's a lotion on sale called bio-oil...i've used it and it does appear to reduce really obvious stretch marks as well as scars...
Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwing
Activist
Member # 43276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard cocoa butter really helped with stretch marks but I have never tried it. I probably will. I have a whole bunch on my bum cheeks and it's honestly like covered with them. I have some on my knees too but those aren't really visible. I don't mind them personally but I'm scared that I'll never find a future partner who doesn't mind them. =(
Posts: 53 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly think that's a bit of a silly concern so far as the reality of people go.

People have stretch marks, especially women (I like to think of my own marks and those of partners as ways I can see how people grew: it's seriously kind of cool we can have that kind of evidence of growth and life on our bodies). Good luck to anyone who wants to find a partner who does NOT have some of them somewhere or who never will, honestly, or any of the other things that are normal in our bodies as we grow: scars, wrinkles, grey hairs, varicose veins, strange hairs in funky places, the works. This is simply the stuff of being human.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBexExpress
Neophyte
Member # 44524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBexExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only just realized I had stretchmarks, all the way around both thighs. They're so light, I never saw them before. A side-effect of my mid-teen thighsplosion!

To be honest my first reaction was "hey, cool!". Doesn't really bother me [Razz]

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently using Avon Solution Stretch Marks Away.Its a stretch mark smoother.It makes stretch marks appear less visible and appear to smoothen them up [Razz]

I tried using moisturising body lotion prior to using Avon stretch mark smoother,but no moisturising lotion seesm to help improve my condition.

I have stretch mark at the sides of my waist and thighs,resulting from my extreme weight loss and extreme dieting [Frown]

Posts: 48 | From: in mua beauty world,where everyone beautiful leaves there XD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet21
Neophyte
Member # 70331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Mederma AND Bio-oil but I didn't see any results [Frown]

Does anybody know a cream that actually works? (I'm white, by the way, if that makes any difference.)

They don't bother me too much, but I just want my old skin back, you know? It would be nice to repair it as much as possible.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loving With Lust
Neophyte
Member # 72574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loving With Lust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post!

Cheers! [Smile]
-Loving With Lust

--------------------
Δεν γίνεται ζωή χωρίς άνδρες. ~Χάρις Αλεξίου

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have come to just kind of ignore them sometimes when im bored and just sitting at home when everything is calm ill try and see if the "scars" will make anything ive found the word "if" on my right breast so far and think that this is pretty cool. lol i use to hate them thought they were ugly but after 8-9 years of having them i finally gave up on my one-sided hate and just learned to ignore them then kinda even like them!

just think of it like those finding games you played when you were little "see how many things you can find in YOUR stretch marks"

--------------------
I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence. Theodore Dreiser

Posts: 30 | From: Marion,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullia95
Neophyte
Member # 100711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tullia95     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend has really dark (we're white), pretty much purple stretch marks on his thighs. He says he grew really fast and that's how he got them. I don't mind them, I actually kind of like them, but he's very self conscious and has asked before if there's a way to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Quod in vita facimus est in aeternae resonat

Posts: 22 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crathes
Activist
Member # 108814

Icon 6 posted      Profile for crathes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the interesting/helpful post. it does have something to do with elastic fibres stretching and breaking in the dermis. I'm no dermatologist, lol but I don't see how it would really impair the functions of your skin. I think it's more cosmetic than anything but certainly could be wrong!

I like how you talked about how common and normal they are. I find it mildly annoying how so often it's associated only with pregnancy. My ex-boyfriend had some and so does my current boyfriend!

I have them too, and I don't like them. [Frown] But maybe I need a different perspective. I think I dislike them because I am overweight.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huddlearomatic
Neophyte
Member # 108936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huddlearomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for sharing this [Smile]
Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazyhorseperson
Activist
Member # 109011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorseperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my stretch marks. I have some on my thighs; they're almost-straight parallel stripes, silvery white, and I got them from the mass of fat which I temporarily had when going through puberty (for some reason, it shifted away from there, possibly from extensive horse-riding - my thighs are the same size, but now it's alllll muscle!). I also have ones on my breasts, the same shade, but moving away from the center of the breast toward the surrounding areas. They're from when I went on the pill and my breasts grew rapidly.

I also really love all the scars I have on my body (mostly from surgeries), because they show I was strong through broken bones, brave enough to have a mole removed, and watchful enough to have another one removed (the first one was precancerous, the second was suspicious but on examination following removal turned out to be normal). ^-^

Posts: 48 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralphie41
Neophyte
Member # 109918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphie41     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have stretch marks on my hips/bum/thighs, and i remember being so worried about them when I first started doing stuff with my boyfriend - I thought only old women had them, basically.
It never occurred to me that he would have them aswell...! And looking back there is no reason why not! Everyone's body changes during puberty, whatever body type you have...
I now actually quite like them - they're my 'tiger stripes' [Smile]

--------------------
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"

Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.