Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Scars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scars
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would be a good way to get rid of, or hide scars from pimples? I`ve had two or three big ones on my face in the past, and I can`t help but to pick at them, and I know thats badddd.. I just can`t help it if I know its there. So, now I have those oh so lovely scars on my face, and they pretty much get covered up when I put make up on, which isn`t all that often.

Anyways, any remedies I could try at home to reduce how visible they are?

I`m planning on going to a dermatologist soon to see if there is anything else I could do, or at least see a doctor about it. I was just curious about trying some ideas at home first.
I`m on BC, and its helping out with my skin very well, I haven`t noticed any NEW places come up since I`ve been on it.. well maybe like one, but still.. it is getting better. [Smile]

Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem, but a bit more than just 2 or 3. All I can say is just wait it out and keep a good moisturizer on your face at all times, one with a sunscreeen is best.

My routine is I wash my face twice a day with Neutrogena Acne Cream Cleanser (it's the only thing I've found that keeps new zits from coming up), I medicate with clindamycin phosphate and benzol peroxide, and then moisturize with Neutrogena's oil-free moisturizer with SPF 45.

You can try the skin lightening creams, but I'm not going to dare try one of those. You never know what kind of result you might get from that, possibly discoloration. Um, I think we could probably try vitamins or minerals that help with positive cell growth. If the scars are really bad, maybe you could try the skin patches that are used to flatten or fade scarring.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will fade in time (and please don't pick at them at the future, pimples will go away on their own– even without a scar usually!) Use make-up when you want, but I'm sure the scars are a lot less noticeable than you think. If you leave them alone now, I'd guess that they'd be mostly gone in a month even. And definitely make that dermatologist appointment! [Smile]

How much water do you drink a day? Do you exercise regularly? What's your diet like? Are you eating a lot of different vegetables, getting enough fiber, eating "good" fats, etc.?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k_leigh7692:
You can try the skin lightening creams, but I'm not going to dare try one of those. You never know what kind of result you might get from that, possibly discoloration.

Hey, just a head's up: We would never recommend anyone use a skin lightening cream at Scarleteen– as you said, you wouldn't use it yourself. [Wink]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information k_leigh7692, I`ll definately look into some of those things. [Smile]

And Ecofem, I know picking is bad, I had one come up and I didn`t pick at it at all, I resisted it.. and it went away and didn`t scar at all. So, I`ll definately keep the picking down, its just sooo hard because I`ll be setting watching t.v. or something and then pick at it and not even notice that I`m doing it.
As for water, I`m working on drinking more, I just hate the taste of plain water. I`m also working on my diet, because I`m working towards losing some weight for summertime, so I`m adding in new fruits and veggies. And I used to take a fiber tablet twice everyday, but my gyno told me that if you don`t drink a whole lot of water with them, it can cause you to become impacted or something, so I`m holding off on those until I can get my water intake up.

Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flossy, I hear you on hating the taste of plain water - I don't like it either, but something I've found that works for me is to add a little bit of fresh lemon juice or lime juice to it, just to give it a bit of flavour. I've also found that I drink more water if I have a water bottle with me at all times - I have one of those one-liter Nalgene bottles, and carrying it with me is a really easy way to make myself drink more water.

[ 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5661 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I`ll have to try that out. [Smile] I never even thought about that.

My mom uses those Crystal Lite things.. and they don`t really have any flavors that I really like, at least I don`t think they do.. or I would use those. =P

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Instead of the fiber supplement, how about eating a small bowl of something like shredded wheat with a LOT of liquid (milk, soy milk, what have you...) I'll also drink seltzer water mixed with juice. Fruits and vegetables can also be a good source of water and fiber. [Smile]
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Haha.. I`m learning so much. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.