Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Piercing Question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Piercing Question.
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first piercing I got was when I was in 6th grade at Claires [standard lobe piercing - both]. Now knowing a lot about body modification, I know it's definitely not good to use a gun. Also, I read that gold is not good for a first piercing. When I picked out my earring at Claires, I got gold earrings with my birthstone.

My question is, would it be okay for me to get more piercings with non gold? Because silver earrings turned the inside of my lobes purple. But once I took 'em out that was silver, my lobes were fine. My ears are stretched now, so I don't worry about earrings, but about future plans for piercings.

Should I email or call a piercer from a respectable studio? Or search on BMEZINE.com?

Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget about bmezine for piercing questions; they are a good body-mod resource, but your BEST bet, 100% of the time, always and forever, will be to visit the piercing parlor you're interested in and by speaking to the person who would be doing your piercings.

You'll want to ask about the equipment they use, how they sanitize their equipment, what jewelry they use, and ask to see pictures of the piercer's work. When/after you have the piercing done, be sure to also ask about the aftercare they recomend - all piercers are slightly different in what they prefer to recomend for use; all are good methods, but following your piercer's instructions also makes it easier to come back to them for help if you experience any troubles during healing.

In regard to your piercings: don't sweat the gun - you know for future reference that piercing guns are something to be avoided, but you're one of a number of people who have had their ears pierced by guns (myself included, for four of my ear piercings since I had them done when I was younger).

It's very possible you have a sensitivity to silver - definitely bring this up with the piercer you meet with, as well, and see if they have any input on what jewelry you should be using or avoiding if this is the case.

I can't enforce this enough, though: your piercer is going to be your BEST resource, every single time. [Smile] I'm a big body-mod fan, though just getting started, and have had three of my seven piercings done professionally (like I said, the two original pairs done on my ears I was younger and so got the gun) and the next two I'm planning for my birthday I'll DEFINITELY being putting a lot of time into with a piercer (surface piercings, yay!), and even though I do occasionally surf bmezine, I use it more as a guidline of how to avoid illinformed or novice piercers, for any of the big serious questions, I will always ask in person.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dirtyMohair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your reply! I will definitely use what you wrote for when I visit I studio; hopefully within the next year or so. Would it be good to bring up this when I want to get an apprentice [for piercing]?
Posts: 37 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, you're planning to become a piercing apprentice? I'm a little confused by your question, can you clarify?

And kudos for planning on being prepared when going to the piercing studio - I had done a lot of research before getting my industrial (sadly gone now) and it made the process so much easier for me knowing I was comfortable with my piercer, the cleanliness of the studio and its good reputation.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

I would like to get an apprentice to become a piecer, and was wondering when I go to apply, should I also ask about my future piercing plans.
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surgical grade stainless steel is standard for professional piercings and people get relatively few reactions to that, especially compared to gold and silver, but if you want to be very very safe, titanium jewellery is perfect. It's also super pretty in different colours ^.^
I too am a big fan of piercing and agree that going to a piercer and discussing things is definately in your best interests, and asking them how you would go about getting an apprenticeship either with them or what's normal practice to go about at another parlour [Smile]

EDIT: I do have a forum which is very useful to any piercing questions you may need to ask, and is full of professional advice from all over the place, but I'm going to ask for permission from a volunteer before posting the link in case it goes against any rules (I have read them but don't know if it is against them) and that is if you feel you'd like to have a look [Smile]

[ 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: NoisyPinkBubbles ]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dirtyMohair
Neophyte
Member # 32008

The link would be helpful. Thank you. Also, if it's real gold, then it would be expensive right? Because the earrings I got were like $28 something or $30 something.
mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are piercing guns a bad thing? I had my ears done with them, it didn't hurt much and the piercings were fine.
Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piercing guns are impossible to sterilize in a sanitary manner - the guns have lots of nooks and crannies that can harbor germs and blood particles, even if the person using the gun uses a sterilized tip. Also, guns piercing ears by punching a hole through the flesh with a comparatively blunt earring end, whereas a professional piercer uses extremely sharp needles that cause far less trauma to the area when piercing. Finally, people who do piercings at Claires and the like just don't have the same kind of training a pro piercer does.

Piercings done with guns *can* turn out okay, but that doesn't mean they're safe or healthy, and it's worth the peace of mind to have a pro do it.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
In Love With My Baby
Activist
Member # 31696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for In Love With My Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only being unsanitary, A piercing gun also pushes the flesh out of the way...A needle, on the other hand, if u break it open you can see it 'collects' the flesh so to say so it isnt just all of that bunched around the newly pierced opening

Info from professional piercer

Posts: 127 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://boards.tribalectic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
The above Link is Not on Scarleteen.com, to a piercing forum [Smile]
Hope this helps any other questions you may have!

[ 02-11-2007, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: NoisyPinkBubbles ]

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.