Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » strange doctor visit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: strange doctor visit
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so here's the situation... I went down to the clinic to pick up a refill of Alesse, and had the same doctor I always have (it's a walk in clinic, as I'm having trouble finding any family practitioners taking on new patients in my area).

The first time I went in, he did the usual thing, asked questions about my family's medical history, etc... and every time since then I've basically gone in, and he just gives me the prescription after the same questions about family history.

But this time, for some reason, he WOULDN'T give me a prescription! He asked a whole bunch of different questions than normal, told me about pulmonary embolisms (pardon my spelling) and asked when my next pap test will be. I told him it's scheduled for next month, and he said he would give me a couple sample boxes of Alesse, but wouldn't give me a prescription until I'd had my pap test and had normal results.

I was just wondering, is that normal practise? It's the first time that's happened in the year I've been on Alesse. Is there some new concern about cervical cancer in people who use Alesse? He's never asked that line of questions before, and he was very doom and gloom, going on about how 8 to 12 people out of 1000 have cardiovascular problems because of Alesse (Seriously, he talked about it for at least 5 minutes, even though he said I was at very little to no risk). Strange... any thoughts?

(Not to mention it's kind of annoying that now I have to go down to the walk-in clinic again in a month to get a prescription, lol!)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
leabug, have you recently become sexually active? Doctors will often require a clear Pap once a woman has become sexually active before prescribing pills in order to monitor cervical changes. If you were taking the pill for non-sexual activity related reasons before, and it's changed recently, this could be a reason. It does seem strange that if Alesse is linked to cardiovascular problems, but he's insisting on a clear pap test (rather than say, an EKG [Wink] )

it could be also his concerns are linked with the recent Alesse shortage in Canada? Alesse and Triphasil were not being produced and are on back-order for the past few weeks due to 'unforseen' circumstances. It's possible they're reformulating to address these issues your doctor has mentioned?

Really, if you can, just call and ask why the change. Your doctor should be able to explain more clearly why the new questions and concerns.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I wonder if that's it- the shortage I mean. I've been sexually active for a long time, so that's nothing new, although he did ask my reasons for taking Alesse (whether for birth control or regulating my period, and I did answer both, so he did know I was sexually active)... weird.

Ah well, I guess it's better to have a cautious doctor, and he did give me 2 months' worth of Alesse (those starter packages), so at least I'm not up the creek without a paddle!

I was just kinda concerned that he was insistent on a pap test, but kept talking about cardiovascular stuff... that's why I wondered if maybe there's a risk of cervical cancer or something?

Anyway, thanks for your help wobblyheadedjane!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often, doctors are hesitant to hand over full year Rx's without a PAP because how do they know that you actually are going to get the exam? In other words, your doc may want to make sure that you're not going to get your prescription from him, cancel your PAP, and then go a whole year without getting checked. So if your record showed that you hadn't had a pelvic in the last year, that could be what's going on.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not a full year's prescription I was asking for, it's just 3 months, that's all they do at a time, so I do see him every 3 months for a renewal.

It's not like I'm upset I have to get the pap test, i'm just confused as to why it made a difference this time but was never mentioned before. After all, I do have an appointment next month, which i made a few months ago. I'm just concerned that maybe there's some risk I wasn't informed about.

--------------------
Lea

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.