Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » POS... to make things 'pretty'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: POS... to make things 'pretty'
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I kept on skipping my period at the end of last year, and at the beginning of this one, it just didn't improve, so I had an ultrasound done in March, and it turns out I have polycystic ovaries... [Frown] on top of everything else... that.

So now it's annoying. I never know when I'll get my period (I'm already 5 days late from the last time I got it), I get cramps for days and days when my period is supposed to come, but I don't get it, and my chest hurts horribly too. The GP said she could put me on the pill, but all that would do is tell me when I'd get my period, but if I'm not currently sexually active, it wouldn't make sense.

I'd like to know, does anyone else with POS get bad cramps and breast pain?

Thanks!

Love,
Leni

--------------------
Что может быть даже похожей на меня не отыскать

That maybe even one similar to me cannot be found
-Origa, "Hana no Chiru Toki"

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been diagonsed with PCOS for a couple years now....I actually am one of the very, very lucky ones who cramps only mildly. I do sometimes get some mild cramping at around the time when my period is "supposed" to come...but cramps when my period actually does show up are very very mild anyway.

While I was still on insurance I was on the pill....and as soon as I get income steady enough to go back on I will. Without being on the pill I will sometimes go as long as 4 months without a period...which isn't exactly healthy (you don't want to go more than 90 days without bleeding to keep everything working right, that is part of what adds into the cancer risks that PCOS entails). As a virgin I understand the "not sexually active so it doesn't make sense" sentiment as those were my exact thoughts when I was put on it the first time though. However, now that I am off and regretting it I would greatly recommend that you try them. When I started them I lost a lot of the weight I'd gained from the hormonal imbalance the condition can carry, and the small amount of cramping that I do occasionally get virtually went completely away. They really do seem to help balance out the hormonal mis-match that PCOS can wreck on your body.

Depending on your level of symptoms, you may also want to contact an endochronologist. I have been put on metformin, which is an antidiabetic drug, to help with the way my body handles insulin (which can get really screwed up with PCOS). I am not diabetic, but PCOS does put you at greater risk for the condition and keeping tabs on your bloodwork is probably a good idea. Also, make sure you keep up with GYN appointments as it puts you at higher risk for cervical cancer and uterine cancer...so annual pap smears are very important.

Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have PCOS as well and went on the pill for it, before I'd ever had sex. Before I was diagnosed, I would have awful cramps, very tender breasts, heavy flow for over a week.

Because I'm naturally slightly underweight, my GYN put me on a very low-dose pill, and it's worked out fine. I don't like having to pay $30 a month for pills when I'm not having sex... but it does fix the problem.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the pills through insurance even though contraception isn't usually included...I needed to have my GYN write a letter saying that the pill was being used to treat a medical condition and we then got the pill mail order 3 months at a time. Perhaps you could ask if something like this can be worked out?
Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your replies [Smile]

I shall ask the GP more about it, because the pain this past week (and my period finally arrived) was especially uncomfortable.

Love,
Leni

--------------------
Что может быть даже похожей на меня не отыскать

That maybe even one similar to me cannot be found
-Origa, "Hana no Chiru Toki"

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.