Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bad Skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Skin
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay i have a party on saturday next week, an to get ready for it i thought id start to take extra care of my skin.
now i do have bad skin, no ozzing horrible spots just red ones
i wash alreayd in clean an clear daily exfoliating sensitive wash.
an because i wanted to get clear skin for next week i started to use after i washed clean an clear deep cleansing lotion.
BIG mistake its made my skin more angry an redder an spots appear worse.
im panicking now because i want clear skin.. foudation when i put on looks flakey so i dont know what to do
anyone help

--------------------
Behind every great man is a great woman

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I combine products, it aggrivates my skin more than it clears it up, so I'd just suggest sticking to one product--the sensitive skin wash is probably your best bet.

There isn't any magical formula that will clear up your skin immediately, or at least I haven't found one.

Also, I read that sometimes your skin gets better and worse throughout your cycle because of hormone changes. So maybe this is just a bad day, and next week will be better.

I know you want to look nice for this party, but it's not the end of the world. Don't stress out about it, and definitely don't let your perfectly normal skin keep you from having a good time.

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After struggling with severe acne and going through every medicine, prescription or OTC, even Accutane, let me share some of my snippets.

Generally, I've found that less products produce clearer skin. When it says at the back of the label of an acne wash "Use of more than one product can cause increased dryness or irritation of the skin", they certainly aren't kidding. Your best bet is to wash your skin with a gentle cleanser not intended for acne treatment. Cleansers with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, in my experience, serve only to irritate your skin and really don't stay on long enough to have much of an effect. Follow up with one treatment product of your choice, like a benzoyl peroxide cream. Make sure to have a regimen you follow daily; pimples begin 6-8 weeks before they actually appear!

Oh, and if your skin is flaky, try adding a bit of sugar to your cleanser to make a gentle exfoliant! Follow up with an oil free mosturizer if you want.

And lastly, don't sweat a few pimples. Right when I came to terms with my acne and stopped letting it embarass me, amazingly, was when it started to fade.

Good luck!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, check out the reputation of what products you buy on a site like www.makeupalley.com. under the product reviews section. People leave feedback for just about every bodycare/skincare/beauty item imaginable, so you can look up what experiences other people have had with a product. Some skincare stuff to look up on makeupalley.com that are affordable and effective: Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Aspirin Mask, Cetaphil, Aloe Vera Gel, Pond's Cold Cream, Witch Hazel, Mint Julep Masque, Milk of Magnesia, Baking Soda.

I would continue using one gentle cleanser like the others suggested--one that is NOT marketed as "exfoliating", if that irritates your skin. Use the mildest stuff you can find. Dove beauty bar for sensitive skin is super-mild soap even babies use. Cetaphil is a creamy non-soap non-alkaline cleanser.

Drink plenty of water each day, since even the mildest dehydration shows on your skin. Use a light moisturizer, even if you have oily skin. It helps balance everything out and keeps your skin hydrated. Always, always remove your makeup before sleeping if you wear any. That stuff wreaks havoc on your skin.

In fact, try to reduce the amount of makeup you wear altogether, at least until your skin calms down. Foundation in particular is a big culprit for causing skin problems--breakout + stuff put over it to hide breakout = bigger breakout. If your skin is under stress, no need to stress it out further.

[ 04-02-2006, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow,
thankyou all for your responce.
Ive stopped using the exfoliating one as suggested an now using dove soap...
im drinking plenty of water also as i have a cold i need to shift im drinking pints of the stuff.
i once got told you could buff dry skin of your face.. but i dont think thats a good idea.
I never knew that pimples begin weeks before they appear [Embarrassed]
Thanks for these skin tips ill try them out an see how it goes

--------------------

Posts: 91 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_Sithney
Activist
Member # 28185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint_Sithney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/56557/S/99026

I've found this works amazingly well. I have sensitive skin prone to breakouts- the left side of my face especially is normally covered in blemishes. After realizing I had sensitive skin, I dropped all skin cleansers for two weeks (except washing my face with an extremely mild all-natural cleanser every two days to keep clean), then started a regime with only mild, all-natural cleansers.
Right now, I wash every night with Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (with Tea Tree Oil and Sea Kelp), pat dry (never, ever rub your face dry. It increases irritation), then rub the ClearAc on and follow up with Desert Essence Facial Moisturizer. Each morning, I rub the ClearAc over my face and follow up with moisturizer. Twice a week, I use the Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Exfoliating Scrub, then the Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil pads, then moisturize. I recommend not exfoliating for at least two weeks, then get a very gentle one.
The Queen Helene's Mint Julep masque is a good product- it does work well as long as you don't overuse it. If you have problems with oil, I'd suggest Bath and Body Works 'All in a Clay's Work' masque. It dries gray except in areas where you have excess oil- there it dries black. Kind of handy to know what to focus on.

Home remedies for acne:
-Dilute a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of warm water, then gently dab on your face
-Try putting a tiny bit of antibacterial mouthwash or toothpaste on your blemishes before bed

But trust me on the ClearAc. I've only been using it for four days, and everyone has been noticing and complimenting my clearer skin. I still have blemishes (a years-long problem won't disappear in four days), but there are far fewer of them, they're less red and less pronounced, and no new ones have been surfacing. Never use a masque more than once a week, and get a good moisturizer for sensitive skin. It really does help.

--------------------
'My nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me.
'Speak to me. Why do you never speak? Speak.
'What are you thinking of? What thinking? What?
'I never know what you are thinking. Think.'
-T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

Posts: 71 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha89
Activist
Member # 27246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natasha89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankyou for your link an hoem remids
ill follow up that link i used to use clean an clear moisturizer but stopped because it was making me worse, like you i mainly get it on my cheek (on the right side)

--------------------

Saint_Sithney
Activist
Member # 28185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint_Sithney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Clean and Clear too, and that worked for awhile, but then it started making my skin worse. Try to keep the amounts of products you use to a minimum, and if you have sensitive skin, try for things with very few ingredients. Natural is normally better for sensitives.
A little bit of extra virgin olive oil is a good moisturizer, if you don't mind the feeling or the smell. Try rubbing on a little bit at night, then cleansing in the morning.

--------------------
'My nerves are bad to-night. Yes, bad. Stay with me.
'Speak to me. Why do you never speak? Speak.
'What are you thinking of? What thinking? What?
'I never know what you are thinking. Think.'
-T.S. Eliot The Waste Land

Posts: 71 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.