Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » discharge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: discharge
rae16
Neophyte
Member # 26977

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rae16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have this really whitish substance in my underwear everyday. it is really slimy and thick. i am woundering if this is normal! it bothers me to see it and not know if it is normal or not. it happens alot, like when i am aroused and sometimes just when ever. it has a strong smell and i wash down there all the time. i wish it would go away. is that wrong for that to be doing that? and also i can not dosh because my mom says that there is no reason to unless you are sexually active. i want to clean my self but she does not understand. what do i do or say to her? i really need help!

------------------
rae16

Posts: 5 | From: Lennon, MI United States | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discharge is perfectly normal; in fact, it serves the very important purpose of keeping the vagina clean. (DO NOT douche, this only upsets the pH balance of your vagina and makes you more susceptible to infection.) The only reason you'd need to be worried is if your discharge has a sour or fishy smell, a lumpy texture, or is greenish or yellowish in colour - these can all be signs of an infection.

Scarleteen has a great article on vaginal discharge that you might want to check out:
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Your Vaginal Secretions

If you're really worried, you can make an appointment with your gyn and ask them about this, but I'm betting he or she will tell you you're perfectly normal.

[This message has been edited by karybu (edited 01-13-2006).]

Posts: 5788 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is normal for women to have a clear or white vaginal discharge, which can be about the same thickness as snot as some parts of the menstrual cycle. It should be smooth in consistency (no lumps), and its smell should be no more repugnant than ordinary sweat (andplenty of people don't find repugnant at all-- many women, however, dislike the natural and healthy smell of their vaginas because they erroneously believe it should be completely odorless).

If this is what you are experiencing, then it sounds like you are fine. This discharge is a normal part of your vagina's self-cleansing process, and if you DIDN'T have it, there would be something to worry about.

However, if your discharge is ever lumpy, if it is not white or clear, or if the smell you talk about is extremly repugnant (often described as "fishy") then you need to see a doctor, as these are often signs of an infection.

Whatever you do, do not douche, now or when you are sexually active. Douching only disrupts your vagina's natural cleaning system, thus making it MORE likely that you will get an infection, and making any infections you might already have even worse. There is no more reason for a sexually active woman to douche than one who is not-- in fact it is even riskier, given that a sexually active woman is more likely to come into contact with an infection.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.