Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » labia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: labia
shineitallaround
Neophyte
Member # 24720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shineitallaround     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure this is a topic often dealt with. I have a large labia, stretched from pulling on it when I was very very young from just plain curiosity. I don't really care, there's nothing I can do about it now besides surgery, which is rather drastic. But it becomes a nuisance when wearing a bathing suit, it causes a small but noticeable lump between my legs, and so I am self concious while at the beach and can't fully enjoy myself. Is this a problem with anyone else, and how do you deal with it?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your sitting around with your legs spread or your labia are several inches long, I wouldn't worry about it. I can almost promise that the only person who will notice a small lump between your legs is you.
Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For starters, I highly doubt you stretched out your labia in any way. It sounds to me like you have very normal labia; the problem you're describing with swim suits is something I think the majority of women actually face. The key is finding a proper fitting swinsuit most of the time and you also have the option of wearing shorts or a sarong over your suit as well for when you're not in the water, if it really bothers you.

And I think tinyrebel is right, the reasonm this "lump" is noticable is because you're aware of it and are therefore looking for it and noticing it because you can look and think, "Oh my gosh, my labia!" Anyone else interacting with you at the beach is not going to be looking at you and think, "Oh mu gosh, her labia!" Plus, like I said, the way a woman's body is built makes it so tighter fitting suits will basically make a "lump" in that area, it's simply how the labia are built, big or small.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused12345
Neophyte
Member # 24569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused12345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same issue! In the locker room it seems every girl is flat there and I'm not, I have a noticible bump in the middle due to large inner labia. It makes me really self concious. Any suggestions on how to make it less noticible? I'm self concious to the point of where I'm 90% sure I'm going to get surgery when I can drive on my own.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you head to the plastic surgeon, I suggest you consider whether it's worth scar tissue, loss of sexual sensation, and the potential for recurrent infections (among other things). My inclination is to say that it's easier/better/safer to fix your self esteem than to go cutting things off your body that are NORMAL and are supposed to be there. That type of genital modification often leads to the formation of scar tissue and it can cause a loss of sensation and other issues. Additionally, if you lop off part of your labia, they can't do their job of protecting your vagina from bacteria -- which can lead to infections.

Here's the thing, your labia are totally normal. How many labia have you really seen in real life? Many many many women don't have little tiny labia. Which shouldn't be too surprising considering the fact that part of their function is to protect the vagina, which can be best accomplished with a bit larger labia. Again, it sounds like you're completely normal here.

I'd really suggest just not worrying about this. There are so many other things you can be doing with your time and energy other than nitpicking your body.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 24185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the exact same problem!! I usually wear shorts when swimming but thats alos just cause im too lazy to shave my bikini so it hides that too. I've never really noticed it on anyoen else, and as someone previously said that it seems like everyone else is flat there. Oh well there isnt much we can do. I also have the fear of having a guy be surprised by how big it is but if he really likes me that wont be a problem i guess.
Posts: 13 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it interesting and curious to hear women concerned that men will see their genitals and be in some way alarmed or dismayed by their size?

Especially considering that:
a) our culture tells MEN they want to be in exactly that scenario per THEIR genitals, and
b) there is no physiological or medical basis in expecting any aspect of the female genitals to be diminuative or invisible, and
c) just like penises, vulvas and their parts come in all shapes and sizes.

Just think about it. If you find yourself obsessed with the idea your genitals are too large, even after a medical pro has let you know they're 100% normal, you're being hoodwinked by a pretty ridiculous and inaccurate sexist double-standard.

Labia aren't just functional: they're full of nerve endings, and they're connected to the clitoris. So treating them like an inconvenience or something to deal with is just plain silly, especially when they can provide substantial sexual pleasure.

(And for the record, mature partners of any gender don't tend to be dismayed by generous labia, especially if they've seen more than one or two vulvas in their lives. Vulvas are seriously unique and vary a whole awful lot, so if anything, when you have a new partner's vulva under your eyes, you're simply noticing the uniqueness of it, and generally, in nothing but a good way, the same way any partner geeks out on the uniqueness of any aspect of their partners body.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.