Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » stomach problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stomach problems
perkyfish
Neophyte
Member # 18845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perkyfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately.. like the past 5 days or so ive realized that my stomach has become bloated. And being the very concerned person that I am. I immediately went online and started to look up everything I could on bloating. The only conclusion that I can come to is that im constipated. Ive never really had all that great of a diet and yeah I have been having a lot of dairy and sugar lately. So it all somewhat makes sense. For the past two days ive been drinking all the water I can get my hands on.(Since what I read told me thats a good at home treatment) Ive also been trying to eat some wheat bread. It doesn't seem like any of it is getting better...I haven't had a bowel movement all day. Which i think is very unusual. I just dont know what to do anymore. I also took some beano but it says to take it before meals to stop gas build up.. what about when you already have it??Does it help that too?? I would really appreciate any of the advice you can give me. Unfortunately right now Im unable to go to the doctor because of insurance. So some extreme at home treatments would be great! thanks!

(also, would pepto bismol do anything? It seems like indigestion and constipation aren't too far off from eachother)

Posts: 35 | From: Fridley, MN, United States | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know for younger kids apple juice is given to them to help stop consitpation, but I don't know how well that will work for you. If it doesn't work out you may have to take a laxitive, or make yourself a fiber-drink like Medimusal. (I don't know how it's spelled I'm sorry)

And I don't think pepto will do much for you, except stop any gas. (But I'm sure it won't hurt you to try. I had a cousin who drank that for everything, and I mean everything. headaches, stomachaches, nausea, etc etc)

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anaya07
Neophyte
Member # 24028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anaya07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem just a little different were I have a pain like a stomach ache every now and then...
I never had a great diet either and I get a blowted feeling but in my lower area near my vigina..
To help I was told to one fix my diet with drinking more water.. which you are doing. and next stop eatting after a certain time say 9 or 8pm... last before sleep do a get of 10 sit ups and the next day 20, 30, then back to 10, 20, 30... its a little work out.. to help it go down and stay toner!
I hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely watch your food intake after a certian time, like Anaya advised, that's just healthier anywhere for sleep patterns and how your body normally burns calories anyway.

Also, like has been mentioned, you may want to consider taking some an over-the-counter fiber supplement; a lot of times people just can't get enough fiber in their diets to stay regular, and eating wheat bread isn't going to cut it, probably.

Taking an over-the-counter laxative is also an option, but those should not be overused and, in my opinion, are better to only be used if you are recomended to do so by a doctor.

If, after taking fiber caplets or powder/whatever, you still aren't having a bowel movement once a day in a couple-few days, I'd strongly suggest calling the doctor and either asking questions or schedualing an appointment.

I'd suspect that if you started getting more regular fiber in your diet (again, probably with a fiber supplement, since trying to eat wheat bread daily will not get you the daily fiber you need) things will start becoming more regular.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ayeayeaye
Activist
Member # 16787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayeayeaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
make sure you get enough fruits and veggies! i seem to get constipated kind of often because i don't eat as well as i should...but fruits and veggies help a lot
Posts: 138 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perkyfish
Neophyte
Member # 18845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perkyfish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not exactly sure if Im getting any better. I have been drinking a lot of apple juice and water. Ive also stopped eating after 9. And completely stoppped eating sugar in candy or pop. Ive also bought some fiber pills and I take about 5 of them a day.. you can take up to 6 but thats usually just for cholesterol use.So just taking the 5 gets me up to about 12.5grams of fiber. Im not really bloated anymore. Which im glad. Now my stomach is just hard. Which im thinking is just from all the waste im still not quite able to get rid of.I just dont know long this is all going to last. Or if there is anything else I can do. Im making some progress but I dont really know if its enough for what im doing. What do you think?
Posts: 35 | From: Fridley, MN, United States | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say you're making good progress so far, if not for how you're physically feeling but how you're making wise dietary choices that will help you a lot in the long run, not just now.

It still may be a good idea to schedual a doctor's appointment to talk about some of the things you're feeling physically and see if there is anything more you could be doing or anything you should stop doing, etc. But other than that I think we've given you all the help we can and it sounds like you're doing well. Your body will react to dietary changes overtime so it may still take a little while to get your body to where it should be regularity-wise.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.