Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Let's talk about the whole bundle!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's talk about the whole bundle!
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 10 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "favourite body part" thread is great, but why put one body part above the other? Many people forget about the utter amazingness of their bodies and only remember the pains in the ass associated with those various perks. Now, I think a human body is very cool because:

It can float on water.

It makes me wonder about the game of chance that was played to decide what body each of us ends up with, for example, why am I me and not an amoeba or something? (Although it would be very cool to be an amoeba).

DNA is probably the coolest thing ever. How did a molecule get this smart? It's made mainly of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Carbon and some Phosphorus (and other stuff too), yet it can spontaneously mutate, reproduce itself, and contains all the blueprints for the various cells my body is made of.

I like my own in particular because:

You can see the shape of an acoustic guitar in it.

It has strong allergic reactions from certain chemicals some factories release into the air. I used to live in the city(this wasn't in Australia), and each month I would be covered in itchy spots from the chemicals, so we moved to a quiet country town just 60 KM away and it was great, and it wouldn't have happened if I didn't have that allergy.

It wobbles and it's fun to watch.

Jump on the celebration bandwagon and have fun

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox Lover
Neophyte
Member # 19555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox Lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooh.. dna mutations are scary. restuling in genetic diseases. like cystic fibroses. anyone ever read the book alex or seen the movie? my mom told me about it and it scares me!

i like my own body because i can be content with it. i don't have to be anorexic to like myself and i don't have to get fake boobs or anything like that. and i like how interesting genetics are. when i watched the movie godsend i figured it out like 45 minutes into the movie. darn stupid sientist! grr..

i think the freakiest thought is gene manipulation. like in the movie gattica. i fear for humanity.... :S

Posts: 25 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fox Lover:
ooooh.. dna mutations are scary. restuling in genetic diseases. like cystic fibroses.

i think the freakiest thought is gene manipulation. like in the movie gattica. i fear for humanity.... :S

Wow, it's not that terrible. Actually, most mutations go unnoticed. When DNA splits into RNA, Thymine is replaced with Uracil, and Cytosine has a tendency to spontaneously degenerate into Uracil, and Uracil later gets replaced with Thymine. It's just one base pair that changes, and sometimes, those mutations can be really positive or not affect anyone at all. Genetic manipulation can help us cure diseases like diabetes, one can collect some DNA from the person with diabetes, tinker with it, and grow healthy glands and cells to transplant into the person (when you clone something, it doesn't necesarilly have to be the whole body, it can be a body part). Same goes for leukemia and many other diseases. This is just me with my two cents, I have a very unpopular opinion on cloning and DNA tinkering.

[This message has been edited by CrimsonCriminal (edited 11-18-2004).]

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
dna mutations are scary

Hey, if DNA didn't mutate, evolution couldn't take place. Fact .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and there are a lot of mutations all the time. Most just don't do anything noticable.

But to be on topic: Walking amazes me. One foot in front of the other over and over again, and I'm moving! And I don't even have to try hard. It just works!

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 10 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walking is a controlled fall, which makes it even more amazing. When I first heard of that, I didn't believe it until I experimented with it. If you want to see proof:

Stand on one foot, raising the other one with the thigh parallel to the ground with the knee bent at 90 or so degrees. You will feel unbalanced.

Slowly reach you leg out as far as you can. Lean forward ever so slightly and you will start to fall. If you put your leg in at the last moment you will fall flat on your face, but if you don't, your foot will stop you from falling, and the other foot just naturally comes to the front to repeat the process.

I mean, who invented that? That's the reason our knees only bend in one direction, too. We move around by falling.

Also, digestion is very cool.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.