Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » good sunscreen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: good sunscreen?
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey guys--there's tons of stuff on the boards about how you should use sunscreen, which is well and good, but I couldn't find anything on what sunscreen is good to use.

so, does anyone have a favorite brand or style to recommend? I'm mostly looking for daily-wear type stuff, since I spend probably a good hour or two outside, walking to work and the store and... well, everywhere else. I've been using the stuff I have, but sweatproof/waterproof SPF 45 might be a little bit of overkill. Would regular lotion with added sunscreen work ok?

Basically, I just want to know what sunscreens work for you guys before I go and invest too much... thanks!

------------------
put your hands on the wheel, let the golden age begin
let the window down, feel the moonlight on your skin
let the desert wind cool your aching head
let the weight of the world drift away instead

these days, i barely get by. i don't even try.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally always have a bottle of Lubriderm's lotion with suncreen. I don't know that I'd sue that all by itself in hardcore sun, but since I use it every day in the morning as a habit, it's handy in case I forget a spot when I go spend time in the sun and put on sunscreen.

I've actually found that suncreen barnds don't differ a whole lot from brand to brans, but the waterproof and sweatproof varieties are great, as are the ones you can spray on, for times you're going out in it without a friend to get hard-to-reach places.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tihnk Neutrogena makes some great sunscreens. they have a dry-touch formula that goes on smooth without being greasy or sticky. it's excellent, though a li'l more $$$ than Coppertone. I use Neutrogena's sunscreen gel because I got it for free when I did a breast cancer run. It's good, doesn't get all sticky, but because there's a lot of alcohol in it, it made my eyes burn a little. The burning went away after a minute, though.

The lubriderm lotion Miz S spoke of, as far as I know, has SPF 15, which is fine for coming-and-going use. Sometimes I just blend a stronger SPF lotion into baby lotion and that works for me.

------------------
You'll no longer have any reason to doubt the
transcendent power of love after you see it obliterate
an entire armored division in military tests.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fan of the Neutrogena sunscreens. I've found they have great fragrance-free options that don't irritate sensitive skin. But Heather is right, some of the store brands really are just as good for general use. We hand out a list of something like 20 or so brands that my Dr. recommends - I'll pick one up at work next week and post it up here so you can see what at least one derm. is recommending to patients. As far as the SPF goes, keep in mind that SPF 30 is pretty much maxed out. Anything over 30 does not really provide much added protection.

Sunscreen is alot like condoms - you've just gotta find one that suits you. Beyond that, make sure that you're applying properly (BEFORE you go out into the sun) and re-applying as necessary. And that you're storing the sunscreen properly and for the correct length of time (anybody out there using last year's bottle - throw it out!).

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this site you can look up all sorts of sunscreens [and nearly every other "beauty" product] and see what other people thought of them--how effective they were, if they're worth the money, where to buy them, if they're greasy or not, if its for sensitive skin or if its fragrance and oil-free, etc. It's a good way to buy something that'll work for you and not have to test out fifty other products first.

Personally, I use Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunblock in spf 45. It's good and it's fairly cheap, around $9.

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 06-26-2004).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.