Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Exam anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exam anxiety
frenchy
Activist
Member # 11720

Icon 5 posted      Profile for frenchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before big exams i get really nervous/worried, it gets to the point that i feel unwell - Sore stomach and diarrhoea.
I prepare my self well for exams and i get sick even when im confident i can do well in the exam.
Is there anything i do to stop this??

Posts: 43 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
test anxiety is like any other form of anxiety. and lord knows, i've taken a lot of really big exams, so i know how it goes.

Definitely never eat anything that could possibly irritate your gut before a test. No hot wings, no chili, and the like.

Try meditating. do stretches to limber your tense muscles. get plenty of good sleep. Can't relax enough to sleep? then try to control your breathing, think peaceful thoughts and count backwards from 200.

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spazgrl07
Neophyte
Member # 14924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spazgrl07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost everyone suffers from text anxiety in some way or another. Personally, the only remedy I've found is actually taking the test and getting it over with.
Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're feeling really stressed, do things that relax you, like the things Gummy mentioned, or listen to some music, call a friend and talk about it or take a short walk to clear your mind.

You also might want to see if your school has any other alternatives to the traditional test taking. In my high school and now in college, there were different ways the test was given. For example, maybe the time limit was removed, you were allowed to take the test in a room by yourself, while listening to music. But... with both of these programs you had to go though testing (just great, huh?) to see what caused your test anxiety so they could figure out the best way to help you out. Even if there's not an official program where you go to school, talk to your teachers. They might be able to give you some suggestions and/or give you some alternative testing methods.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.