Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » tampons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tampons
confusedandhelpless
Neophyte
Member # 13146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedandhelpless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my period for a few years now and today i tried wearing a tampon for the first. I followed the instructions on the box but it still hurt. Could i possibily doing it wrong? I'm still a virgin so i got the slimfit tampons but it doesn't seem to help. It's really painful.
Posts: 4 | From: usa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello confused,

and welcome to the boards.

Plenty of gals have trouble when first starting out trying tampons. - We have plenty of threads around all about tampons with tips on hot to insert them best.

Our handy search function can help you find them.
A few I found in the Board FAQ that you might want to look at are....

Problem Inserting Tampons

...tampons

tampon use

um...tampons

good on you for havign sstarted otu with the smallest tampons you could find. - never having had intercourse before is not a reason why one might not be able to use a tampon. the question is, whether your have a hymen, and if so, whether it has an opening that is big enough for a tampon. by the time they start menstruating, most girls' hymens will be soft or eroded enough to allow for tampon insertion. confused, can you insert a finger into your vagina without trouble - if you can, your tampon troubles are probably just a matter of technique and practise.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Anya: "Well, at first it was confusing. Just the idea of computers was like, whoa, I'm eleven hundred years old. I had trouble adjusting to the idea of Lutherans."
Tara:"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's depressing."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-22-2003).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandhelpless
Neophyte
Member # 13146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedandhelpless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for those links. they had good advice. I haven't tried putting another one in yet because i'm still a little sore. And about me being able to insert a finger i'm not really confertable touching myself. I think that is part of my problem. But thanks for you help. Hopefully i can get it by tomorrow because i'm supposed to go swimming. Maybe i'll try putting some water on the applacator inplace of lube since i can't get any. Thanks again.
Posts: 4 | From: usa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
water makes things wet, but not necessarily slippery. you can go to the store and buy a little tube of lube, it'll work a whole lot better and will be less likely to make your tampon expand prematurely (cotton absorbs water faster than lube). there's nothing "dirty" about using the stuff, especially for something like inserting a tampon.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandhelpless
Neophyte
Member # 13146

see the thing about me not being able to by lube is because the stores around here don't carry it. I'm not sure why. Those that do carry it is only like one and they keep it behind the customer survice desk which is hardly open. I had looked into the lube thing earlier for other reasons that never happened. Hopefully i'll just be at a heavery flow tomorrow so i can maybe get it in right. i know there is nothing dirty about using lube. I'm thinking my problem was i'm on the first day of the cycle and its really light. but thank you again.
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey confused. There are freebie sites that you can get samples of lube at. I would suggest signing up to get some, I don't have the links, but I'm sure if you search you'll find something. Good luck, and don't worry... I had the same problem when I started wearing tampons, and now it's no biggie. The Tampax Pearl tampons are REALLY smooth, I like them a lot, plus ya kinda don't need lube with them, but that's my preference! Also, they come in all the sizes, so just kinda play around with it. G/L!

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BeC*
Neophyte
Member # 13068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BeC*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you try tampons with applicators? It makes them a whole lot easier to insert and makes sure that they are inserted in the right place. I used them when I first got my period many many years ago and they made the whole job much easier

Good Luck

------------------
*Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly*

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedandhelpless
Neophyte
Member # 13146

BeC, i am using tampons with applicators. I can get them in just not all the way. There's just that little bit that wont go in. oh well. I might just be like the rest of my family. For some reason no one in my family has ever been able to wear a tampon until after they've had sex.
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
confused, i'd actually recommend that you try out tampons without applicators. - they are often more compact, and smaller, and easier to insert, too.
if you can insert an applicator inside your vagina yet have trouble getting the tampon out, you can definitely use applicatorless tampons.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue_gal
Neophyte
Member # 12550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing i find with tampons is that i'm ok inserting them and it feels like its gone all the way up but after a few seconds it feels uncomfortable, so i try to push it up further but it wont go any further. I use the "mini" so everytime i just end up taking them out. I find this real frustrating

Has anyone got any advice about what i could do about this pls???
Cheers!

Posts: 35 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

hi blue,

very often, if you find you can not insert the tampon far enough, you might not be aiming the right way. keep in mind that the vagina is not a straight tube, but leans towards the front of your body. - usually, observing that angle, and pushing up and to the front solves the problem you describe.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.