Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hmm, fatness...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hmm, fatness...
PrettyInP!nk
Neophyte
Member # 10709

Icon 13 posted      Profile for PrettyInP!nk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there kiddles.
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I weigh from 8 to 8 1/2 stone. It changes all the time, even during the day. I have become a bit weight-obsessed, because every time I go into my kitchen [where the scales are, for some strange reason] I weigh myself. I don't so much mind my weight, but it's how I look. I noticed that I'm starting to get cellulite on my butt and at the top of my legs. When I noticed this I was horrified, and started replacing all the sweets I eat with fruit and healthier things. But this has made no difference.
Until now, I have always been happy with my body because it was smooth all over, and there was no way I would call myself fat. But now this cellulite is appearing, it's making me quite depressed and rather ashamed.
One of my best friends said it was because I'm growing, but if it is that then why do models etc not have this cellulite on their butts? They're older than I am!
I know there is no way that this cellulite is appearing simply because I am growing. I want it to go away, how can I do this? It's getting me down quite a bit.

Posts: 14 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cellulite generally can't be controlled by diet, and whether or not someone gets it (and most women will tend to get some at some point) isn't about weight, but mainly about genetics. Very thin women and average-sized women have cellulite, too. You don't see it on models because either a) those models don't have it, and/or b) those photographs are retouched. For that reason, you also tend not to see stretch marks, grey hairs, wrinkles or zits on models.

120-125 pounds is not overweight, even if you're less than five feet tall. That's a perfectly low-to-low-average weight for most people. Might be time to worry less about your weight and more about your obsession with it and your appearance.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyInP!nk
Neophyte
Member # 10709

Icon 13 posted      Profile for PrettyInP!nk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm quite right to worry about my appearance and have this, what you call an "obsession", with it. I'm afraid I don't want to let myself go, I don't want to become someone who doesn't care about how she looks. I'm 15, of course I care how I look and weigh.
I'd appreciate and TIPS from anyone who has any, because I'm obviously not getting any from Miz Scarlet.

Posts: 14 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that most pictures of models will have been edited so much that you probably wouldn't recognise them in real life.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What tips do you expect? It can't be controlled by diet as Miz Scarlet said. You are no where near overwieght, and unless you walk round naked all day, no-one but you is going to notice anything. Even if you did walk round naked all day, everyone else is too worried about how they look to notice anything wrong with you.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyInP!nk
Neophyte
Member # 10709

If I knew what tips I was expecting, I wouldn't be asking any of you.
This isn't about how people see me, it is about how I feel about myself. I won't be anything other than myself just to please another person. But I still want to feel good about myself, which I don't right now.
I know that pictures of models get edited, but I was only using models as an example. Other older women don't have this problem like I do, I was trying to get that point across.
I came to this website for help, but I'm obviously not getting any. I seem to just be getting bitchy remarks.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what I gave you was honest advice. The "bitchy remarks" appear to be stemming from you and you only, and I'd suggest you curb them ASAP.

Other people don't have big noses, either, but some of us do, for the same reason some of us have cellulite: which is, as I stated above, mostly genetics. One can't change one's genetics.

As well, over the years, there have been a lot of different attempts at reducing cellulite or its appearance, and so far, very, very few of them (lotions, diets, potions, special types of massage, etc.) have proven to make any noticeable difference whatsoever.

There are some aspects of our bodies we simply have to accept, and that's the truth. And if it's about feeling good about ourselves, that's a pretty easy answer, since accepting the "flaws" (if you choose to see them as such, and that's a choice) about our bodies and selves is a big part of that.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you have negative body image (and it is pretty apparent that you have that to some degree), then check this out:

Body Image Boot Camp (Improving your Body Image) http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001852.html

it's a few things you can do to improve the way you feel about yourself.

As for the cellulite, AlwaysWorried is right. Models are airbrushed, and Adobe Photoshop is some amazing software, lemme tell ya. My junior high gym teacher had cellulite, and she was a walking Barbie doll. It happens to everybody.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tip for you is this:

As both Miz Scarlet and AlwaysWorried pointed out, most of those pictures you see (even if they aren't models) are airbrushed, retouched, etc.

As Miz Scarlet said you have to accept your "flaws." I won't say learn to like them, because honestly their are some parts of ourselves won't like, and probably never will. However, learn to accept them, they are appart of you! Most women generally do have cellulite, but most of the time you can't see it because it is usually covered.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyInP!nk
Neophyte
Member # 10709

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PrettyInP!nk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, especially Gumdrop Girl... that thing about your gym teacher made me feel better :P
And sorry to Miz Scarlet, I know you were only trying to help. It's just that I am kinda stressed over this.

PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're having image issues. I picked up this months Glamour & Cosmo 'zines. They have a lot of positive things about women hating their flaws. I myself have cellulite, and I ride a horse everyday of the week 2 hours a day. I compete do dressage & hunter/jumper. I'm not too thrilled about my cellulite, but ya know... it's a part of you, and like Miz Scarlet said, it's genetic. There's girls walking around who's hip bones stick out, and they look like death eating a buscuit, and THEY TOO have cellulite. Amazing as this sounds, the older you get, guys really aren't going to pay attention to your flaws. It's like starring at your face and picking out a blimish here, or a freckle that you could do without. Guys don't really see it, unless you point it out. But if you're really self-conscience about your body right now, just don't wear anything that'll show off what you don't like. You'll eventually grow to be comfortable in your own skin. Anda again, I highly recommend going out and getting this month's Glmaour & Cosmo magazine. Glamour has 3 women on the front, and Cosmo has Brittany Murphy on it's cover. Don't worry so much, be happy!!

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really such a flaw to have a normal body? Or something that's worth losing sleep over, or devoting huge amounts of time and worry to?

Being a cruel person is a flaw. Being hateful is too, but spending your time and energy on something that's not worthwhile is just foolish. There are lots of problems in the world, and lots of situations that need help, and *can* improve with just a bit of effort. I think the big problem we're looking at here is mixed-up priorities.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.