Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Losing Weight...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Losing Weight...
rottenpeach
Neophyte
Member # 11038

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rottenpeach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've been excersizing for the past 2 weeks now(push-ups,crunches,abslide,leg lifts,and walking)and i'm seeing like no results...except my stomache is like getting thicker and i hate that!...so what can i do to get my stomache small and toned?and i want smaller legs too,got any advice?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinyere85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be an expert in weight loss, nor would I be able to give you the best medical advice, but I can speak from experience, as I have gone through various stages of weight loss.

First of all, after only 2 weeks of exercise, you are not supposed to see any results, especially doing things the natural way. Don't give up on exercise though...in moderation, those type of endurance and repititious exercises are good for you.

Secondly, when you begin those types of exercises, it's natural for you to gain weight before you lose anything. Most of the time when I began to work out, I gained weight and only noticed weight loss several weeks afterwards. Good exercise is a part of good help, and it's a lifelong thing, so how long it takes shouldn't matter.

What happens when you exercise is that some of your muscle tissue is torn. That's where the pain comes from. Your body replaces this torn muscle with new, stronger, healthier muscle in it's place. This is what causes the weight gain.

But gaining muscle while you burn fat is a good thing. Three pounds of muscle take up the same amount of space as one pound of fat...something like that. So, being healthy brings good rewards.

But, the best way to find the most effective exercise plan is by talking to a doctor...or some other type of expert.

------------------
"Baby, To me your like a growing / Addiction I can't deny / Now would you tell me, is that healthy, baby?" -- Seal, Kiss From a Rose

Posts: 55 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chineyere is on the right track. two weeks is not EVEN the start of a workout. Working out and keeping fit is a long-term sort of thing. The human body doesn't change its shape overnight unless something is seriously wrong.

However, muscle pain is not usually due to teraring muscle. If you tear a muscle, you will experience excruciating pain. there may also be discoloration of the skin and swelling.

Muscle aching due to exercise is generally because your muscles aren't quite working at their optimal levels. It's like revving a car's motor too high and it has trouble keeping up. When your muscles work, they have to convert sugar to energy. There are too processes: one uses oxygen, the other doesn't. Starting out, your muscles will forget to do the oxygen-burning process. The by-product of the oxy-free process is lactic acid, and this makes your muscles ache.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was under the impression that muscle soreness is a) from lactic acid and b)from extremely small tears in the muscle that are then filled in, causing muscle growth.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lactic acid, yes. tearing? no.

Muscle growth occurs when the cells themselves actually increase in size. They do not increase in number (except in cases of muscular hyperplasia). Tearing is just tissue damage.

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple
Neophyte
Member # 11602

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Purple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be patient. 2 weeks is nothing. If you began seeing results that fast I'd be concerned.
Just make sure you're eating healthy and stick to exercising and the results will surely happen.

Posts: 1 | From: Sudbury Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chinyere85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops...surry about the misinformation, hehe.

I forgot who I heard that from, but I've heard it from a few people...if it's the health teacher that didn't know where the hymen was, that explains it, haha!

But, just wondering about another rumor, not meaning to get off topic any further from the original post, but hoping to add to it. Is it true that muscle turns into fat after exercise has stopped?

My gym and health teachers have told me that this is not true, but I have heard others insist that it is truth. Just wondering.

Okay...back to the discussion...

------------------
"Baby, To me your like a growing / Addiction I can't deny / Now would you tell me, is that healthy, baby?" -- Seal, Kiss From a Rose

Posts: 55 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacz
Activist
Member # 3217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maniacz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is no such thing as spot reduction, if u want to lost weight, best way is t lost fat all over ur body, u can try jogging and skipping ropes
Posts: 46 | From: singapore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inkie
Neophyte
Member # 8840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always heard that if you want to lose weight, never jump around or 'be-bop' like they do in some of those aerobics classes where the teacher is wearing high heels kind of thing. I have lost alot of weight by using Susan Powter's videos. I would suggest picking up one of her books or videos, they were always helpful to me.
Posts: 17 | From: my own little world, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chinyere85
Activist
Member # 7554

Everyone's metabolism is different, so everyone can find success in different things. For instance, I have a friend who wants to gain weight because she's only 105 lbs, and was around 95 lbs last year. She's upset because it's easier for other girls to gain weight, but she's just opposite.

With me, I had a more dire case. I'd been boarderline obese for most of my life, which brought on potential health risks, physical and social discomfort and brought on a fairly early puberty. I've lost about 50 lbs since I was 13, and only gained back 10 of those recently. So, I've done a lot of things for weight loss.

You are going the right route...exercise is definitely one of the best choices. Even people who aren't interested in losing weight or toning up in general should exercise regularly. You gain a greater self confidence in the end, and you can say, "Yes! I work out!" even if your original objectives aren't quickly met.

In the end, besides immediate health issues, it's all about being comfortable about your body. You should exercise for yourself, and not for an appearance of yourself that you want others to see. Make sure you're doing this for #1, and everything will work out to your liking.

...and I realize that a simple question has now been stretched. Sorry, I just felt like imparting more advice, heh.

------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(It's good advice, Chinyere. No need to be sorry.)

Posts: 67131 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.