Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » The Timing of the Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Timing of the Pill
Oh Zanna
Neophyte
Member # 8581

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Oh Zanna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking birth control pills (for cramps, not for contraception), and I'm having trouble figuring out a good time to take them, as they need to be taken at the same time every day. When I first wake up is a no-go, since while 7 o'clock AM may be great now, I'm certainly not going to be up then once school lets out! Same for bedtime: while I'm almost always home by 12:30 during the school year, I may be out during the evenings during the summer. Currently I'm taking the pills at 12:00 noon, but I'm curious to know if there is an easier time that I haven't thought of. So, question to all you birth control pill-takers: When do you take the pill? What times have you found easiest? Any good advice?
Posts: 6 | From: NY, NY. (One big, happy family.) | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should call your doctor or the clinic where the pill was prescribed (or the pharmacy where the prescription was filled) and ask about timing. For some pills, a couple of hours variance may not make a difference.

For example, my doc said it was okay to just take my pill when I get up in the morning, even though my wake-up time varies anywhere from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. (According to her, for this pill "the same time every day" means "in the morning" not "at 6:13 a.m.") However, my case might not be the same as yours, which is why you should double-check regarding your particular type of pill.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oh Zanna
Neophyte
Member # 8581

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Oh Zanna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't realized that there could be so much leeway; I take Alesse, and the package says "it is important to take it at about the same time everyday," which I interpreted to mean within fifteen minutes of the same time. However, if this really means "in the morning" and not at "6:13 AM", as I believed... well, there will be a much happier me! Less for my scatter-brain to remember! Mm, I'll go drop by my gyn office tomorrow, and thanks for bringing this detail to my attention, Lady Moonlight.
Posts: 6 | From: NY, NY. (One big, happy family.) | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A word of warning: Alesse is one of the lower-dose birth control pills, which means it's VERY critical that it be taken as close to the same time of day as is humanly possible if you want it to effectively work as a contraception. (I'm sticking this in here mostly because I know we have a lot of users who do take Alesse for contraception, and also so you'll know about that in case you become sexually active while taking it.)

As Lady Moonlight said, with some pills, you have a bit more leeway, and it's possible that you might as well, since you're taking it only to control cramps and not as a contraceptive. Do check with your doctor and see what your options are.

And when I was on the pill, I took them around 9 p.m., as I was on another medication that had to be taken a few hours before bed and I was already in the habit of taking pills then. Plus, it was a time at which I was almost always awake!

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on OrthoTri Cyclen for almost a year now, and I've been taking it at 10pm since I started. My doctor told me that it might be a good idea to take them right before bed at least initially so that if they made me nauseated (which they did) it wouldn't be so bad (ie. interrupting my day). I decided that 10pm was as close to bedtime as I was going to get, so that's when I always take them.

It's also important to remember to adjust the time you take your pills if you're traveling and changing time zones. 10pm where I am isn't the same as 10pm in other parts of the world.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it at 8:00pm for the same reason as Kitten.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

i figured i would just stick this in here since it is (mostly) related.

my doctor just prescribed Alesse for me (today actually). i have not had my period for three months and after running lots of tests to rule out other health problems, she went ahead and put me on the pill until i can get an ultrasound done to check for ovarian cysts.

so first i was wondering about what some of the side effects people taking Alesse specifically may have experienced (i read all the info that came with it, i was just wondering about specific experiences people may have.)

i'm really interested to know if anyone on bc, whether Alesse or another kind, has had difficulty with wearing contacts.

also, i started my pill today at 12:30 pm. i figured that i would most likely be awake everyday at that time or could at least set my alarm if i happened to be sleeping still to take it then.

after reading some of these posts though, i was thinking about what to do if i decided another time would be better to take the pill.

if i wanted to change the time of taking my pill, should i just take the next one then, or ask my doctor first?

i'm not taking the pill for contraception, but to regulate my period, so if i changed the timing, would i be okay?

thanks!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
euphorickitty
Neophyte
Member # 6425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for euphorickitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take mine around 1:30 p.m. and that seems to work just fine for me. I have been taking them at that time since I started because eating before taking pills has always helped me, of course except those that specifically say to take them on an empty stomache.

As for changing the time you take your pills, I've talked to my doc about this one and she says to wait out the cycle and if you still want to change the time do so with the first pill of your next pack and follow that same time with the rest of the pills.

Posts: 38 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.