Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pierced with a gun (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: pierced with a gun
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milke, i agree, but it isnt my child and Im not in a position to make a decision.
The minors thing aside, what about ME. I'm 18, I can go get my ears pierced without mommy. I just need to know where to go

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... the needle doesnt hurt?

I always thought of it as ripping off a bandaid... do it with a gun, it's like ripping it off fast... do it with a needle... Ripping it off slow...

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh one more thing. I'm not really into piercings but a lot of my friends are, and they always get it done with needles. One of the reasons they say they do it that way is because when you do it with a gun it causes that hard scar tissue around the ear, which for one is annoying and for another makes it hard to enlarge a hole or re-pierce it later.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've had both, I'd say that the real difference is in the healing time. Neither the gun nor the needle hurt much while it happens, but the needle piercing feels MUCH better while it's healing - the gun piercings, I remember, hurt for six weeks solid.

As for the "gun=fast, needle=slow" issue, if you have a good piercer, the time difference between getting pierced with a gun and getting pierced with a needle is nothing. Meaning, it's just as fast with a needle.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littleone, after having done some research and finding out that some places no longer do piercings, or even necessarily exist at all, all I've got left on the TO list that I feel confident recommending is Passage, on Church St. I'm not sure about the rates, but have been present for three piercings there, all of which were done very professionally, and healed well. You might want to check out personal stories on Bmezine, or ask people you see who've got piercings or tattoos that appear to have been done well, too.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Danny says Relax.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 12 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Milke. Actually, I got a few recommendations for a place called "stainless studios" www.stainlessstudios.com
their website is very very professional, they have photos of the place and of their equipment (love the autoclave) and in general, they seem up to snuff.
I made an appointment for Saturday *grin* I called them and the person on the phone sounded very friendly and very informed. I feel good
YAY!

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a nice studio, I hope it goes well for you.
Oh, and here's a page with reviews and experiences sorted by where they were done, so anyone who's interested do check it out: http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/01-ear/sortstud.html

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Danny says Relax.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grin* I did it!
I have two brand new holes in each of my ears with pretty shiny stainless steel CBR's in them
Stainless Studios kicks butt, they are very friendly and nice. When you walk in the door, the smell of antisceptic/disinfectant just HITS you in the nose. I found that very reassuring. Dustin must have changed his gloves three times throughout the process although i was kinda nervously zoned out and didnt notice. Im happy

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you're happy, and that you did it the safe way.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't do what I did, and have 5 girls lay over you while one shoves a thumb tack into your ear. That really hurt... but I've had mine done for 3 years, and it's never gotten infected or anything
Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if piercing with a gun is considered a NO-NO on this site, what on earth would make you thik we'd okay piercing yourself with a safety pin?

*looks straight at the folks in the "self-piercing" thread*

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilr467
Neophyte
Member # 14124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilr467     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the traditional hole done 4 times with a gun and every time it got infected and i had to take it out.
well i got sick of it and did it myself and i havent had any problems with it....but im not saying to do it...
then i got my second hole done with a gun and it did get infected and swollen but i left it in just kept cleaning it and its fine now...then about a year ago i got my cartilage pireced with a gun and its still bothers me a little but not as much as it did when i first got it....so if i ever decide to get anymore pireceings...it will be with a needle....

Posts: 6 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunlvr15
Activist
Member # 13290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunlvr15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHH i am too confused! some people have had good experiances and some don't! i had a good experiance i think. (don't remember) but they don't bother me now, and i had them done w/ a gun.

questions about the needles, do they take very long to do? do they hurt as badly?

how much more is the needle? and where can i and my friend get it done...arrg i'm too confused now.

also, how can so many ears get infected if the people SHOULD be putting on the stuff they give you and you should twist the earings.

ahh i'm still confused though, i understand where your coming from , but its all too confusing!!!

but seriously, how much is the needle, and does it hurt as badly as the gun?

Posts: 57 | From: Va | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some people might have had okay experiences with piercing guns, but given that there is so much potential for things to go wrong, why go that route when you've been provided with info about better alternatives?

Okay, so a real needle piercing done at a good piercing studio is gonna cost you more than "Buy two pairs of earrings and the piercing is free" at Claires. But you really get what you pay for. It'll run anywhere from $15 to $35 for an ear piercing depending on the studio. It's pretty quick and easy.

My piercings were done with surgical needles. My case is a little different: my dad pierced my ears. He used sterile surgical needles and anesthetic. If you're curious, you can always ask your doctor if he or she can pierce your ears (though my understanding is that this is a dying art amongst medical professionals -- they think they have more important things to do). btw, since it was dad and all, he didn't charge me for my ear piercing. He, however, barred me from piercing anything too unconventional.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cafemocha
Neophyte
Member # 14129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cafemocha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the ultimate un-conventional piercing when i was 12...my mommy took me to a traditional gold jewelry shop in Hong Kong and the guy pierced my lobes with pure gold studs pushed in by his bare hands after rubbing my earlobes with ginger
Later in life i've gone under the gun to get two more piercings...all four holes are fine after 7 years

Posts: 2 | From: T.O. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mememe17
Neophyte
Member # 14211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mememe17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found this site while looking for a treatment fer my infected ears! i got a hole pierced in each ear (the cartilege) with the gun...biggest mistake ever! well, at least i THINK thats the reason for the infection. i already had one hole in my cartiledge, that i did myself. it may sound crazy, but it turned out just fine. i used a sterilized needle and everything. it hurt a bit more but it healed great! now i wish i ahd done the rest myself! would have saved myself some money and pain! now i have two holes in my ear that are good for nothing, and both of them have a huge lump. i really dont know what it is. its not puss er nething, because i tried soakin them both with salt water (warm) and poked them with a needle gently to release any infection there might be, but there wasnt any. there's just two sort of hard bumps behind each one. i am hoping these will eventually go away, but im not sure. if u know any remedies that will help me, or make the healing process go a little quicker... PLEASE email me! thank you
Posts: 4 | From: London, Ontario, canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Chamomile tea (use the cooling, wet tea bag as a compress) should draw the infection out, and it's cheap and easy to get. Do it a couple times a day until it seems to be gone, and if it doesn't start clearing up in three days, call a doctor. Once it's cleaned up, vitamin e oil (pop open a capsule) will help healing. Stop sticking needles in your ears, though, please! Piercing your own ears isn't a good idea, and trying to open an infection isn't a great idea either.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

mememe17
Neophyte
Member # 14211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mememe17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats the thing tho..i dont know if its infection or scar tissue. how can u tell the difference? because if its infection, the bumps will eventually be gone with proper care, but if its scar tissue they may not, correct?
Posts: 4 | From: London, Ontario, canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Infection HURTS, and may feel hot to the touch, or discharge pus or plasma. Bumps (which are scar tissue, sometimes keloid) are just there, and feel different from the rest of your ear, but do no more.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

mememe17
Neophyte
Member # 14211

hey mike..thanks fer the advice. that tea thing is workin pretty good. i've been faithful, and do it like 2-3 times a day, and much to my surprise..its actually workinG! i guess you really do know what you're talkin about! lol thanks a million
artsy1321
Neophyte
Member # 14232

Icon 6 posted      Profile for artsy1321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i had my second(or 4th) piercing done with a needle and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. i had the bottom one's done with a gun three times and every time they got infected. but the third time i was determined to keep them. turns out that they finally healed. The needle was so much better. my cousin told me why her boyfriend at the tattoo gallery didn't use a gun. she said that the neelde was much safer and sterile. when he was done he told me not to do a thing to my new piercings because that would lead to infection. that's probably why my ears got infected. he didn't even give me any solution for my ears. i'm going to go get my cartlege done with my mom and my cousin who took me for my first needle piercing. i already want another one on my lobe. that would make three on each ear and one cartlege but i have to wait a little while.
Posts: 1 | From: amarillo, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Hey, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't trust it!
We've been using it for years, on people and cats, so I think it's safe to say it's a good one.

MiLke

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumpity- bump!
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazy_sexy_cool
Neophyte
Member # 13617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazy_sexy_cool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So hey, I have a question.. how much does it hurt to pierce cartilage with a needle? Because I got my belly button done, and I dunno if I have a low pain threshold (the piercing lady said my skin was kinda thick), but (uptil reading this post) I was seriously considering piercing my cartilage (didn't know you could do it with a gun.. living in a non-western country where all my friends did it with the gun).

My only concern now is A. the price and B. the pain factor!!!

Piercing my ear lobe didn't hurt at all (even though I was sooo scared!), but piercing my belly button, now that was a different story! I almost blacked out from the pain!

I need HONEST answers not those "oh I swear, it didn't hurt at all" answers because that's what my friend said before I did my belly button, and I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!

------------------
..discipline without freedom is tyranny, freedom without discipline is chaos..

Posts: 36 | From: End of the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, people's pain tolerances vary, not just person to person, but different areas on one's body. When I got my cartilage pierced a few years ago, it stung initially, but infection was minimal. My lobes, on the other hand, puffed up and bruised for a good four days before settling down when I got them stretched this summer. I'm getting my cartilage repierced next week in an industrial, and while I'm scared as all get-out, I'm also thrilled to finally do it, so I think adrenaline also plays a big factor in how much you feel the pain.

Just know that a professional piercer will be equipped to handle any problems you may have (like blacking out), and be willing to talk with you a number of times before the actual piercing occurs.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the cost issue goes...I think that's something one has to examine reletively. I spent the summer working for a dermatologist, and I saw quite a few piercings-gone-bad, so to speak (all of them done with guns, interestingly enough).

Is the cost of having a piercing done correctly and in a safe environment really THAT high in relation to:
Doctors appointments and medication (due to infection or the trama of the piercing itself),
pain and suffering (with infection),
long term treatment (if you end up with Hep C or another disease),
plastic surgery,
other potential problems.

Those options can add up to alot more $ than just getting your piercing done right.

And as to the pain factor...what you've got to recognize here is that everyone feels pain differently. Just because something doesn't hurt for one person, does not mean it's going to be that way for everybody. Everyone is wired differently, that's just the way it is...and your ear lobes are wired differently than your belly button. In general, we can probably say that it hurts less to be pierced with a needle...but the reasoning behind that rests in the fact that using a needle creats the correct kind of space and is infinately less traumatic to your tissue.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
molly_hellion
Activist
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly_hellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cartliage piercings hurt more then a flesh piercing (like the belly button) usually. It all depends on you though. Cartlage also takes longer to heal then a flesh piercing so dont get mad at it when you think its not healing. Give it time and take good care of it. You dont need an infection on top of a slow healing piercing. I had a double cartlage piercing done and I wanted to die. I aslo have my tounge, eye brow, nipple, lip and septum done and the cartlage took the longest to heal making it the most painful. So if you can handle it then your a tuff cookie!
Posts: 48 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roofus
Neophyte
Member # 13973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roofus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got 6 holes in my ears all of which I had done in one of those little mall stores with a gun. They all healed fairly quickly for me, none have ever been infected. I got my first set of holes when I was 9 and I'm almost 19 now

Not all horror stories, but of course now I realise needles are better than guns. When I get my rook pierced I'm gonna get it done with the needle.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
molly_hellion
Activist
Member # 15028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for molly_hellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a rook?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Tada!
molly_hellion
Activist
Member # 15028

Icon 9 posted      Profile for molly_hellion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH GOD!!! I never knew that was its name. I feel so old
roofus
Neophyte
Member # 13973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roofus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup thats a rook, but I don't like the barebell dealie... ima get a ring eeks!
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my cartilage pierced at 14g (I think i said that somewhere else in the thread and i'm repeating myself...) with a needle, and it hurt like WHOA. But it's healing nicely, and i shudder to think about what would have happened had i done it with a gun.

(disclaimer: i also have the pain tolerance of a whiny two-year-old, but take it with a grain of salt. it also didn't hurt enough to make me not really, really, really want an industrial.)

------------------
got a haircut, got a silver tooth
tryin' to get myself arrested

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Boo! I got sick on my birthday, so I couldn't get the industrial as planned. The piercer refused to let me get it done if I was sick because of my immune system being so busy with the cold germs to heal my piercing. So I'm going to wait a month until exams are over and I'm stress free until the new year. But I went with a friend who's been jonesing for a new piercing since I told him about getting my industrial, and he got his done that day.

I was so, so, so impressed with the studio. The piercer changed her gloves at least four times, gave us a big lecture on aftercare and procedure, and gave my friend candy and water after the piercing was done. He wanted to lie down in case he got faint, and she was worried that the lying down would affect her ability to pierce it quickly, but she made both holes and got the barbell through in under ten seconds- it was unbelieveably quick.

I'm really glad I got to see it done- now I feel confident in the studio I've chosen, and I feel much more comfortable with the idea of getting the piercing done. Hurray!

lazychild
Neophyte
Member # 18798

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lazychild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just got my carilage pierced with a gun (as in last night). Do you recommend taking it out and getting it repierced by a pro? I am pretty good about not touching thing (as far as my other piercings). I knew before hand that getting it done with a gun wasn't the ideal situation, but I thought that it was still an "acceptable" way to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.