Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Self-tanning..........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self-tanning..........
Lina79
Neophyte
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lina79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering, well, summer is fast approaching, and I konw tanning is bad for you, but I reallie want a little darker complexion. I was wondering if any of you have tried sunless tanning spray, or foam, or lotion, or anything for sunless tanning. If so, did it work well?? Also, would anyone be able to recommend a certain brand I should use that will last long, and not turn my skin orange?? I'd reallie appreciate help with this!!

~Jeanie~

Posts: 12 | From: St. John's, NF, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I have a tendancy to turn orange no matter what I use, so I'm afraid I have no specific product recommendations to make. But I will say that as far as preventing streaking goes, use either spray or foam. They're much easier to control than the lotions are. Also, get someone else to help you. I know that probably seems strange, but I always have my mom put it on me. Sometimes having someone else who can see it from a different angle can help you have even fewer streaks. Also, use a room with good lighting.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i've only tried it once, so i donno 'bout brands and stuff...

BUT, one very important thing to remember: make sure you don't sit down, get dressed (or in my case, go to bed!) untill you are sure it is completly dry. in the instructions it should say how long to wait, so follow them! don't think "oh, it looks dry enough, good night!" like a certain idiot i know (ie. ME!!!) did. let's just say i had sheet-creases for 2 weeks!

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great that you know that tanning isn't good for your skin. No matter what anyone says, a base tan isn't a good idea - any change in color of your skin from the sun is from sun damage, and can increase your risk of melanoma greatly. This goes for tanning beds, too, not just the beach.
As far as self-tanners go, I've always found Clarins to have wonderful products. If you go to the counter at most department stores, the salespeople are really helpful and will often self-tan your face, or both your arms, or something like that to try it out. I have to admit that their products are pricey in comparison to the neutrogena self tanner you can buy at your drugstore (clarins usually runs in the 30s, I believe) but the quality is amazing and it really doesn't streak. Good look - and remember to exfoliate so you don't have any uneven 'patchy' areas before you self-tan!

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
countrygirl23
Neophyte
Member # 3323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for countrygirl23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I have the same problem with tanning, I refuse to go to a tanning bed because its not healthy @ all so I've tried the sunless tanning creams and stuff and my best advice would be for you to try Neutrogena foam or Banana Boat Sunless tanning foam, I've tried both and they work better than alot of the others I've tried, but a lil' tip, I've found that it works best if you exfoliate your skin first and apply lotion, especially to your ankles and knees because if you don't they always seem to come out looking darker and a bit weird...well hope that helps a bit..Good Luck!!

------------------
~*~Don't sweat the petty things...and definately don't pet the sweaty things!~*~

Posts: 14 | From: Texas, U.S | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost literally albino, so I'm a huge fan of self-tanner. Actually, I began the vicious cycle of self-tanning last night.. but I've found that Neutrogena spray works very well- I put on two coats, and I only got one streak, probably from my own clumsiness. I found that Banana Boat makes me look like a zebra, though.

------------------
"Those who don't got it, can't show it. And those who got it, can't hide it."

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i ABSOLUTELY HATE self taNNers!!! they turn me orange, and even though i exfoliate before i put it on, it still pEEls and flakes oFF me. but now that i go to the beach more often, i dont reaLLy have the nEEd for it. but for dance performances, i stiLL get drowned out by the stage lights, and i use a bronzing powder. if you waNNa go that way, physician's formula makes awesome bronzing powders (but they're kinda pricy ).

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom just recently got a self tanner and its from Bananna Boat, and she said that she that it doesnt make you orangy and it doesnt smell that bad. I know some tanners smell like crap. Just be careful, dont put too much on, also were rubber gloves, and if you dont remember to wash your hands quickly, you dont want the palms of your hands to look all funny.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the active ingredient in self-tanning spray is dihydroxyacetone, a three-carbon sugar. it reacts with certain amino acids in your skin, causing brown spots.

i like o-chem too much for my own good.

anyway, i gotta give a thumbs up to Neutrogena tanning spray. sure beats cancer any day.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beamgirl
Neophyte
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beamgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey i found a really good brand that doesn't turn you orange! The brand is 'Ambre Solaire" and it's called 'Bronze-up' Only prob is that you are in Canada and i'm in Australia so you may not be able to get it there. But then again everyones skin is different and it may have a different effect on you. But if you can find it you should give it a go.

------------------
BeAmGiRl*

"If you live your life in the past then you can't move forward, and if you can't move foward there is no future."

Posts: 8 | From: NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neutrongena Instant bronze works really well. It gives you and instant tan look, and then that washes off and your color stays.

------------------
ø¤º¤ø,¸,.:´*~
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our
wings have trouble remembering how to fly ø¤º¤ø,¸,.:´*~

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni
Activist
Member # 6560

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jenni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my theory on self tanners is that some people's skin, typically skin that tans easily, works well with them, but some people's just doesn't.

My experiments with self tanner have been pretty good so far, and I'm working on it right now. I'd suggest nutregena (I KNOW I spelled that wrong, lol) spray, it's worked pretty well for me. I've had a few streaks come up, but that was entirely the result of my not being careful. I've been using the "medium" stuff, I'm a little scared to try the dark. Oh well, maybe a little later in the summer.

Good luck!

------------------
If you want to dip into someone else's life for a while then go here

Posts: 43 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of self tanners. Neutrogena works well for me. Nivea self tanner doesn't. I looked like a Zebra.
In general, i prefer self tanners a lot to the melanoma my uncle got through tanning, and the basalinoma a dear friend of mine had to have facial surgery for.
Say no to the real sun!

I stumbled about a nice little article on how to use self tanners at ym of all places, and that sums it up pretty well, I think.

YM: tan in a Can

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
destiny4514
Activist
Member # 8348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for destiny4514     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel that self tanners only work on certain skin types i myself am a very big tanner i go to tanning beds and in the summer i spend hours a day in the sun i tried the sunless tanners and they made my skin orange and all blotchy... i used the nutragena lotion and it was very hard to see where i had alreay out it on.. i suggest if you want a self tanner get one with a bronzer in the lotion that you can see where you have aready placed it do u wont have an uneven tan.. also you should try it out on your feet or somewhere that isnt noticable so you can see if you like the result
Posts: 71 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I had really bad shoe tan on my feet from track. I was goin to the prom so I went out and bought neutrogena sunless tanning foam and instant bronzer. I loved it because the instant bronzer showed exactly where i put it and how dark it was! I LOVE IT!
Hope that helps

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.