Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Can someone please help with this!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can someone please help with this!
TheDreamer
Neophyte
Member # 3279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheDreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
My dream is to become a model and i will make it happen. It's what i really want!I am getting pictures taken in the beginning of May for my portfolio. I want to make my stomach and arms a little more muscular looking before then and i was wondering if anyone knows of some good exercises that would help?

By the way since i'm new here i just wanna say that i'm 13 years old! :0)

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lexi_029
Neophyte
Member # 3281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lexi_029     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honey, I'd wait for the whole modeling thing because it's tough and with your body changing so much at 13, you won't have much luck with it anyway. Also most agencies will not even look at you if you're under 5'8" without the measurements of 34/24/34. Also you need to be 15 or 16 at least before they will actually look at you as a serious model. I think that if you shelved this plan for later on in life, it would be best. But if you still want to firm up, eat healthy, do aerobic exercise, and lift light weights.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDreamer
Neophyte
Member # 3279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheDreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well my measurements right now are 32A-24-34. I'm not 5 ft 8 though lol but people say that thats okay i just can't do runway modeling and i'm fine with that. I also just found out about Pilates has anyone heard of that? They say it doesn't make you loose weight but it scuplts your muscles and thats what i want. I already do exercises like running and basketball right now but i want a new sort of thing to do so pilates seems pretty good to me and it works all of your muscles with different exercises. And actually people have told me it's better to start earlier in the modeling business and if they don't think i'm serious i'll show them i'm serious lol.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
consult with your physician before starting any new diet or exercise routine

the above info should not be overlooked

so, about them arms. i am assuming that because you are still 13, you probably don't have ready access to a gym or a gym membership. so your best bet is to go to a sporting goods store and buy a pair of weights (dumbbells). i like to use 8 or 10lb weights myself, but you may want to start a little lighter. to tone those arms, i would recommend doing bicep curls and tricep exercises.

bicep curl: weight in your hand, arms down at your sides, gently lift the weight, bending at the elbow, palms coming toward your face. sorry i don't have pictures, but it's pretty obvious if you see it.

tricep exercise: this was recommended by a basketball coach i knew. you don't even need to buy weights for this if you have a two liter bottle of soda or water or something sitting around. take the weight or the full bottle and hold it with both hands behind your back. hold it between your shoulder blades and lift slowly.

tummy: crunches. lots of them in lots of positions.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say go for it.
When I was in 8th grade, I went to an audition and I was accepted into their agency... I didn't do a whole lot, I never really found the time. But if it is seriously a big goal for you and you really want to do it, that's great. I hope it all works out.

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDreamer
Neophyte
Member # 3279

Thanks
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pilates, by the by, is very similar to some forms of Yoga. It is an excellent form of exercise if you can find an instructor in your area, and it is effective without straining the body or overworking any one muscle group.

And good luck to you, dear! Personally, I'm of the mind that if your goal is what you want for you, it's always worth reaching for it when you can.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scarlet is right about Pilates. I know someone who took Pilates and got firmed up in a short amount of time. However, it does take work, and like anything else, you have to keep at it.

Most health clubs (where you generally find Pilates instructors) only allow people over 16 to join. If you can't find a Pilates instructor, I'd suggest joining a dance class. As simple as that sounds, something like Fundamentals of Dance or Flamenco is both fun and works really well. I'm joining a dance class in a few weeks, because it worked so well for this girl I know.

Good luck!

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.