Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Skin tags (blehhh)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skin tags (blehhh)
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this thingy on my underarm that's called a skin tag for many years now. I've got to the point where I'm really sick of it because it prevents me from shaving my underarm properly (lol I don't wanna shave it off..ouch), and I'm pretty tired of having to leave little hairs around it. It's just this small little brown tag-like thing (not like a mole). Does anyone know if I can get this thing removed..and if so, do you know how much it would hurt? Thanks!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG I had one and I paractically riped the damn thing off me. (I ADVISE YOU DONT DO THAT) It really hurts..

BUT you can go to the doctor and they will remove them. I know somebody who had it done, he told me that it didnt hurt. But I dont know personally because I ripped mine off like a dork! LoL...No worrys a doctor will take care of it!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skin tags are normal, and something of a pain in the butt. Like Glittergirl sez, a doc can nip 'em off easily and it pinches a little but doesn't really hurt. My grandmother used to do it herself with a nail scissors but I wouldn't recommend it -- that'd be a good way to give yourself an infection, I think.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one of those, it doesn't hurt to have them removed, just a little pinch. And it only takes a second. So go to the doc, cuz according to my doc, snipping them off yourself is a great way to get an infection!

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do that Hanne! Or I did. Not very smart. I put Neosporin on after I did, but it still hurt like hell, and one got infected. Blech.

But, a doctor is the best solution. I had one removed there, and it's no worse than a shot, just a little pinch. But a little pinch is probably better than an armful of hair on a hot summers's day.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, like everybody said...head to the doctor if it bothers you. A dermatologist can take care of it for you in just a few minutes, it'll be less painful, and you'll have a much lower risk of infection and scaring.

~KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have quite a few of them. I think i'm going to ask my doc about removing them next time I'm there.

It's such a small thing, but it bugs me, and I bet I'd be happier with them gone.

erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you guys said "skin tag" i just assumed it was another finger or toe or something! I was born w/ 6 fingers on my left hand, and my mom told me that it was called a skin tag. It wasn't really a finger, just a piece of skin that resembled a finger. I had it removed, but i still have a little wee bump type thing, that only i can see (b/c i know it's there, of course).

I would definately suggest going to the doctor. B/c i was so little, i don't even remember mine. I've heard that its not that uncommon to have skin tags, but you don't see people walking around w/ 6+ fingers right? So they get them removed. Which is what you should do. If it really bothers you, do something about it. If it doesn't (it obv. does, or you wouldn't have posted), then leave it alone

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking abouit what I think you're talking about, i have them too. I snipped them off with half-jaw nail clippers (the plier-looking ones). it hurt like a ... ! then I patched it up with iodine and it was gone.

but you can go to a doctor and get them zapped off with an electric needle. my dad removed a few on my neck (also took out a small mole in the process). It's quick, and it feels like a pinch.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr X
Neophyte
Member # 25110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like everyone else I recommend seeing a doctor. However if you insist on doing it yourself all you need is an icecube, a nail clipper, a septic pencil, neosporin, and a little nerve. My biggest recommendation is that you do not live with skin tags. They may seem like a small inconvience but these little buggers are somehow slowly draining life from you. It is war and they must be stopped. I clipped five of these things off and my whole life is better. I can lift more wieght at the gym, and my sex life has improved 100%.
Posts: 1 | From: santa and, ca usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your life may have improved, Dr. X, but I'm willing to bet it had nothing to do with the actual presence of the skin tags. I'd believe that your personal outlook improved once the irregularities were gone and a positive attitude can go a long way, but the tags themselves aren't 'slowly draining life' from anyone.
Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Djynnjah got it pretty much right on, but just to reiterate ...)

Dr X,

You may want to take it easy on the drama, here. You need not declare war on something that is only a slight variation of the 'norm', like a freckle or mole.

I see you're new, so you may not know this yet, but we're big on accepting ones body the way it is, skintags and all. Some may choose to get them removed, while others may choose to live with them. Their choice. I see that it would be your choice not to live with them, and that's fine, but i can pretty much guarantee you that it would not be 'draining the life from you'. Cancer, yes. AIDS, yes. Some other chronic disease, yes. Skintags, not so much.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 08-27-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.