Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » **** Rings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: **** Rings
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They really don't sound healthy... are they? It sounds painful and unnatural.

It's a tight ring that goes over the penis to hold the blood in to keep the penis erect. Is that... good?

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds uncomfortable to me...
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the software edits out one of the words used to commonly designate this type of object, let me describe what we're talking about and what they do.

What this is is a tight-fitting ring of metal, plastic, rubber, leather, or cloth that fits around the base of the penis and scrotum, sort of behind the scrotum and on top of the penis, pressed against the abdomen. It can be all one piece, a solid ring, or it can be a strap or strip of flexible material that can be fastened in place with Velcro, snaps, or some other fastener.

The primary purpose of this device is to retain blood in the penis longer, so that erections are maintained longer. They are sometimes recommended or even prescribed by doctors for this reason, for men who have problems maintaining erections. Men who do not have erection problems sometimes use them to enhance the sensation or duration of their erection, too.

Most of the men I've talked to who have used them say that no, they are not generally uncomfortable. However, on the odd occasion, a solid ring (such as a heavy metal ring) could be hard to get off. Most authorities on the subject say that if this happens, the best thing to do is to refrain from panicking and just let the erection subside, which it will do just fine (just a little more slowly than normal). If the ring is made of a material that can be cut off with a pair of heavy-duty scissors, you can also cut it off if need be. Ice packs can also be helpful with shrinking swollen tissue if necessary to get one of these rings off.

However, I should note that such mishaps are rare. Most men's erections will deflate on their own given a little time to do so, even without orgasm.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

There is stuff than can be considered worse, though-that people do volutarily. There's CBT-I don't know if i can say what it means, but it is torturing a man's genitals for the purpose of arousal and satisfaction. There's eunchs (sp?), people who are voluntarily castrated, usually for the purpose of gender-identity. There's a lot of stuff out there-BDSM practices, surgical procedures-that can be unpleasant or a turn on. What a diverse world.

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, the sexologist on tv (I know, not reliable) said that the erection would NOT subside as long as the **** ring was on.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not so. Try holding an erect penis with your hands at the base (tightly) some time and see if it stays that way for hours.

Not.

Same diff.

And when it comes to physical sensation, it is different strokes for different folks. In fact, even categorizing activities as painful or pleasurable is totally subjective. What is painful for one person may not be at all for another in the same way at all.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.