Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » athletics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: athletics
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have got to be one of the most non-athletic people I know...I hate sports, so I suck at most of em, but I am concerned about keeping my body in shape. (Not to lose weight or anything--I am fine with my body shape, I would just like to maintain my strength) For anyone who doesn't play sports, what do you do to stay healthy & can you suggest anything for me? Thanks!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been a competitive or team sports person myself. I'm a solo artist.

I adore yoga. It not only compliments my meditation practice beautifully, some forms of yoga (like kundalini yoga and power yoga, or vinyasa) are highly challenging and aerobic. Yoga also keeps you flexible, keeps the body in balance and aligned, and can be adapted for any level. Because you use your body for resistence training, it really gives you the strength and the body you're meant to have, if that makes sense. I've seen yoga practitioners at 60 that look better and more healthy than many 20-year-olds. I do a 20 minute Iyengar yoga practice almost every morning, and do an extra hour of more strenuous kundalini or vinyasa every other day (which usually gives me a two-hour endorphin rush -- can't beat a free, natural high). Plus, you can do it almost anywhere.

Okay, infomercial done. Can you tell I adore this? Gee whiz.

If you can't find a class near you (most local classes are Iyengar yoga, which is great for strength and flexiblity, but isn't aerobic) Living Arts makes wonderful tapes. Whole Foods now carries them, and you can also get them online at Gaiam.com.

Weight and resistance training is also fantastic, as is walking, either out-of-doors or on a treadmill (or with a dog!).

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martial Arts r pretty good too, particularly if u want to be able to defend ureself as well as be fit. However, u must make sure u go to a nice club that doesnt charge extortionate amounts for a session and has a nice (reasonably) casual atmosphere. Oh and I find Judo hurts more than Karate or nething else so I wouldnt recomend Judo. Oh yeah some sorts of martial arts do involve themselves in competitions but that doesnt mean u will be persuaded to compete.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been in the same situation. I found that walking is a great way to get fit- unlike jogging, it's not overly stressful to begin with, although you can work up to levels where you're pushing yourself to extremes as much as any jogger, and it keeps you toned and generally feeling well, especially if you walk outside, rather than using a treadmill.

The martial arts suggestion is also a good one. After I got fit from walking, I took up Tae Kwon Do, and to my surprise I actually found that I was pretty good at many parts of it. I don't keep that up any more, but there are definitely a lot of bonuses to it.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along the same line as martial arts, why not try kickboxing? I'm going to begin taking kickboxing classes next month (any tips?) and from what I've heard, it's a great workout and loads of fun.
There's a ton of other stuff-like walking or hiking. Or if you own a bike, just use it to go to the store or a friends house, instead of a car. Even though it is sometimes competitive, swimming is one of my favorite things. Just go to a local club and do a few laps, or sign up for a water exercise class.
And even though working out is great, there's nothing that compliments exercise better than a well balanced diet.

Now seeing as I have great tips, I wonder why I'm not in better shape .

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even walking at your local mall counts as exercise -- as long as you don't load up on sugar and fat at the Dairy Queen

i like to wander around town and campus.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy walking and swimming -- both are solitary activities, I can go at my own pace, and can be done pretty easily. My school also offers water aerobics classes, but usually not at a time where I can make it to the gym. I'm hoping to try one of those next semester, though.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that just getting from class to class is a strenuous workout. Mainly because my classes are at opposite ends of my school. And I have to walk fast, so I can get to my locker and class ontime. We have a boardwalk/wetlands reserve about 10 min walking distance from my house. I love it there, and go whenever I can. And of course, there is my alltime favorite sport, which is a great toner for upper body and abs. Snowboarding. Those areas burn the day after from using them so much. Course, my butt hurts from falling...anyway. I'd reccomend it. Unfortunatley, its so freaking exspensive. OI.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might try something like ballroom dancing if you like something that involves other people, but isn't necessarily competitive. I find it to be alot of fun and you meet some cool people. Also, it's an impressive skill to have and it does come in handy sometimes.

~KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.